• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you're Corona free!!!!
Yep, where I work we got tested once a week and were first in line for the vaccine. I went back and forth on it, but finally took it.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys took the time, how many of your top 10 ALL-TIME favorite movies would be horror?
To be perfectly honest, not many. I think Halloween is probably the only one that cracks my top 10. Absolutely love the genre but more often than not they're one and done. There's only a select few that are rewatchables for me.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I finally watched The Predator all of the way through (I'd seen a bit of it of it before on a plane), and.........what a pile of crap.

This isn't really a horror movie so I only post it here because we recently discussed if the Predator franchise is horror or not (it kinda is but action and sci-fi first). This one is less horror than the previous Predator movies.

I'm not going to go into huge detail on it here but I will comment on what went wrong.
Note: The studio obviously wanted an Indiana Jones type movie. It is blatantly obvious.
*Shane Black- hiring a big action movie writer/director was, in retrospect, a huge mistake.
*The score- uplifting quirky action music. It didn't fit a Predator movie at all. It is really noticeably out of place and very often hurts the movie.
*The characters- the group of rag tag, enduring misfits with mental problems and skills beyond normal. It was a lame misfire at trying to copy the team from the first movie. A waste of the the likes of Thomas Jane, Keenan M-K, etc.
*The lead- he was supposed to be the main protagonist (along with Olivia Munn) but I never cared one bit about him. He was forgettable at best.
*The kid- it is a Predator movie. We don't need an annoying kid character forced into the plot just to try to appeal to a demographic.
*Storyline continuity and plot progression. Shit just happens for no real rhyme or reason. There is no flow. Characters don't react like people would at all, and the randomness from one scene to the next is at times ridiculous.

There is a lot of gore and destruction but the rest of the package is so ridiculously ham-fisted in trying to force comedy and mainstream Hollywood type action that it just ruins everything.

F you Shane Black and the studio for this abortion. The original Predator and imo, Predators are great movies. I even really like Predator 2. But this one sucks despite a big budget and great special fxs.

5 out of 10 at best. I could rank it worse but I'm trying to temper my ranking to how pissed I am after watching it.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this the other day... I was so naïve just a couple of days ago, thinking that something like "Cannibal Holocaust" was the worst thing possible (I was really disturbed by "Martyrs" when I saw it some time ago, when it was regularly listed as one of the most disturbing movies ever). I read a few Reddit posts, thankfully didn't see any actual videos, but the last couple of levels are some truly fucked up shit.

nf0ky51gk2f61.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I finally watched The Predator all of the way through (I'd seen a bit of it of it before on a plane), and.........what a pile of crap.

This isn't really a horror movie so I only post it here because we recently discussed if the Predator franchise is horror or not (it kinda is but action and sci-fi first). This one is less horror than the previous Predator movies.

I'm not going to go into huge detail on it here but I will comment on what went wrong.
Note: The studio obviously wanted an Indiana Jones type movie. It is blatantly obvious.
*Shane Black- hiring a big action movie writer/director was, in retrospect, a huge mistake.
*The score- uplifting quirky action music. It didn't fit a Predator movie at all. It is really noticeably out of place and very often hurts the movie.
*The characters- the group of rag tag, enduring misfits with mental problems and skills beyond normal. It was a lame misfire at trying to copy the team from the first movie. A waste of the the likes of Thomas Jane, Keenan M-K, etc.
*The lead- he was supposed to be the main protagonist (along with Olivia Munn) but I never cared one bit about him. He was forgettable at best.
*The kid- it is a Predator movie. We don't need an annoying kid character forced into the plot just to try to appeal to a demographic.
*Storyline continuity and plot progression. Shit just happens for no real rhyme or reason. There is no flow. Characters don't react like people would at all, and the randomness from one scene to the next is at times ridiculous.

There is a lot of gore and destruction but the rest of the package is so ridiculously ham-fisted in trying to force comedy and mainstream Hollywood type action that it just ruins everything.

F you Shane Black and the studio for this abortion. The original Predator and imo, Predators are great movies. I even really like Predator 2. But this one sucks despite a big budget and great special fxs.

5 out of 10 at best. I could rank it worse but I'm trying to temper my ranking to how pissed I am after watching it.
Wholeheartedly agree with this entire post. That movie was unsatisfying on so many levels. Predator deserves better than that.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wholeheartedly agree with this entire post. That movie was unsatisfying on so many levels. Predator deserves better than that.
I even forgot to bring up the utter stupidity of the Predator dog that for some unknown reason follows the protagonists around after they lobotomized it by shooting it point blank in the head. It periodically saves them and does stupid shit like coughing up grenades just when they need such help.

I really hated that they turned a Predator movie into a mindless comedy action film.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this the other day... I was so naïve just a couple of days ago, thinking that something like "Cannibal Holocaust" was the worst thing possible (I was really disturbed by "Martyrs" when I saw it some time ago, when it was regularly listed as one of the most disturbing movies ever). I read a few Reddit posts, thankfully didn't see any actual videos, but the last couple of levels are some truly fucked up shit.

nf0ky51gk2f61.jpg
Yeah. As a dedicated horror aficionado even I have zero desire to watch anything past tier 3, and even tier 3 is pushing it imo.

We did try to watch Faces of Death (an actual snuff film in listed tier 5) once back when I was 16 or 17. We made it about 5 minutes before saying "Fuck this!" and shutting it off.
Surprisingly we rented it at our local small town video store where it was available for years.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I even forgot to bring up the utter stupidity of the Predator dog that for some unknown reason follows the protagonists around after they lobotomized it by shooting it point blank in the head. It periodically saves them and does stupid shit like coughing up grenades just when they need such help.

I really hated that they turned a Predator movie into a mindless comedy action film.
I mentally blocked out most of that movie's BS... I think the only scene I liked was the laboratory scene where Munn was briefly nekkid. Covered nudity aside, watching a beefed up Pred tear through a state-of-the-art lab filled with armed guards & lambs dressed in lab-coats was pretty cool. Some of the practical fx kills were pretty good.

The rag-tag merc group was ok at first, and I honestly could have gone with it if the rest of the movie wasn't such a mess. Majority of this movie was unapologetically appealing to teenaged audiences that simply do not care about depth or logical progressions & just want mindless entertainment. It's a cgi/fx-fueled gag-reel that comes off as a very confused & desperate reboot. As you said, there was way less of a horror element. It was gutless.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been gone for awhile, but now I'm back. Lol, this is nowhere near sheer horror, but it's a damn fine Monster Movie. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

CHEF, my man! Good to see you around these parts once more! :suds:

Just finished watching Godzilla Vs. Kong (2021), and I agree... Pretty solid monster movie. It was basically a pure-cgi film, but it was fun enough for what they wanted to accomplish. I mean, you sort of know exactly what you're getting yourself into... action entertainment with an adrenaline-filled overdose of special effects! Pretty much what most monster movies are. It was epic watching them trade blows numerous times.

The sideplot with the kids & the conspiracy theorist was a little contrived & unnecessary... Sort of like it was an afterthought that they injected into the movie after filming was completed. They basically just served the purpose of injecting comedy into the movie, and ultimately *ahem* providing aid.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just finished watching Godzilla Vs. Kong (2021), and I agree... Pretty solid monster movie. It was basically a pure-cgi film, but it was fun enough for what they wanted to accomplish. I mean, you sort of know exactly what you're getting yourself into... action entertainment with an adrenaline-filled overdose of special effects! Pretty much what most monster movies are. It was epic watching them trade blows numerous times.

The sideplot with the kids & the conspiracy theorist was a little contrived & unnecessary... Sort of like it was an afterthought that they injected into the movie after filming was completed. They basically just served the purpose of injecting comedy into the movie, and ultimately *ahem* providing aid.

My biggest problem with the movie was how the three stories of that mother/daughter/father... all ended up in Tokyo and None of them needed eachother for anything... Not even sure if the mom even knew her daughter was in Tokyo... and that dad's role was pretty useless... they could have written him out totally, and it would have been the same thing... Probably better, because then the mom would have had to have the emotion connection with her daughter...

Actually had a hard time getting past that...

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Predator shouldnt be labeled in the horror section.
The dumbasses that wrote it tried to make it a comedy. There was never a scary part in it.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. As a dedicated horror aficionado even I have zero desire to watch anything past tier 3, and even tier 3 is pushing it imo.

We did try to watch Faces of Death (an actual snuff film in listed tier 5) once back when I was 16 or 17. We made it about 5 minutes before saying "Fuck this!" and shutting it off.
Surprisingly we rented it at our local small town video store where it was available for years.

That tier is basically documentaries/real footage that wasn't shot for "entertainment" purposes, if I understand it correctly. I actually saw a few of the "Banned for TV" series and those are fairly mild (they are even on Youtube), basically news/cctv/police dash cam raw footage depicting shootings and accidents. Since it's fairly old footage, it's low res and frankly we've seen more shocking stuff on the regular news nowadays.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro, this was all about the monsters; the human actors were irrelevant. And thanks, it's good to be back! :suds: :suds: :suds:

The sideplot with the kids & the conspiracy theorist was a little contrived & unnecessary... Sort of like it was an afterthought that they injected into the movie after filming was completed. They basically just served the purpose of injecting comedy into the movie, and ultimately *ahem* providing aid.out

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest problem with the movie was how the three stories of that mother/daughter/father... all ended up in Tokyo and None of them needed eachother for anything... Not even sure if the mom even knew her daughter was in Tokyo... and that dad's role was pretty useless... they could have written him out totally, and it would have been the same thing... Probably better, because then the mom would have had to have the emotion connection with her daughter...

Actually had a hard time getting past that...
I get what you're saying, but this was one of those movies where the subplots don't mean shit.
Godzilla vs. Kong, Baby.
C'mon Milk, you can't tell me you didn't like the addition of MechaGodzilla! :nod::nod::nod:

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Predator shouldnt be labeled in the horror section.
The dumbasses that wrote it tried to make it a comedy. There was never a scary part in it.
Yeah. The reason I brought it up for discussion here is that literally all of the rest of the Predator franchise can be considered horror. I suppose the gore and the monster aspect could lead The Predator towards horror a bit but it was way more a comedy action than anything else.

............as for who wrote it.......
shane_black_predator_1200-1.jpg

.....so the fact that he had history with the franchise, and had written the likes of Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3, The Last Boy Scout, The Last Action Hero, etc made some people hope. But Shane was a wise cracking jokster in the original Predator, so.........??

The Predator was a real betrayal to the spirit of the Predator franchise. I have no idea what they were thinking other than maybe trying to appeal to teenagers?

To whom it may concern-
Please no sequel to this storyline. Also, never ever let Shane Black near the franchise again.
Signed, Everyone

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. The reason I brought it up for discussion here is that literally all of the rest of the Predator franchise can be considered horror. I suppose the gore and the monster aspect could lead The Predator towards horror a bit but it was way more a comedy action than anything else.

............as for who wrote it.......
View attachment 268451

.....so the fact that he had history with the franchise, and had written the likes of Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3, The Last Boy Scout, The Last Action Hero, etc made some people hope. But Shane was a wise cracking jokster in the original Predator, so.........??

The Predator was a real betrayal to the spirit of the Predator franchise. I have no idea what they were thinking other than maybe trying to appeal to teenagers?

To whom it may concern-
Please no sequel to this storyline. Also, never ever let Shane Black near the franchise again.
Signed, Everyone
I mean. The original predator gutted him for a reason. Should have been the 1st clue :heh: