• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do agree on the first Terminator movie being the most horror-leaning of the series.

I believe that most people feel T2 is better but I will never agree with that opinion.

Edward Furlong is the Jar-Jar Binks of the Terminator series. Every time he opens his mouth its like nails on a chalkboard.

If you could digitally remove Ed from T2 then I could debate the subject a bit more. But with him.............ugh.

View attachment 266028
giphy.gif

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hole in the Ground - have any of you seen this? Here is the synopsis - One night, Sarah's young son disappears into the woods behind their rural home. When he returns, he looks the same, but his behavior grows increasingly disturbing. Sarah begins to believe that the boy who returned may not be her son at all.

It is a creature feature meets a psychological, dipping into madness type of movie, that definitely separates and picks a direction toward the end. The acting is good. I feel that the story is lacking a little as it does show what is happening, but nothing is really explained and that hurts it a little in my opinion. You piqued my interest, I want some backstory or something. This movie is well shot and has some truly, hauntingly beautiful scenes, the cinematography is really good in my opinion and it doesn't feel overly artsy. There are a few CGI effects (mostly toward the end) that are not very good, but are helped by the darkness. The tension-building and pacing could have been a little better, it occasionally feels a little stop and go. I don't know the history of Irish horror, but this is a good one.

All in all it was good. Again, very beautiful movie in many scenes. 7/10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hole in the Ground - have any of you seen this? Here is the synopsis - One night, Sarah's young son disappears into the woods behind their rural home. When he returns, he looks the same, but his behavior grows increasingly disturbing. Sarah begins to believe that the boy who returned may not be her son at all.

It is a creature feature meets a psychological, dipping into madness type of movie, that definitely separates and picks a direction toward the end. The acting is good. I feel that the story is lacking a little as it does show what is happening, but nothing is really explained and that hurts it a little in my opinion. You piqued my interest, I want some backstory or something. This movie is well shot and has some truly, hauntingly beautiful scenes, the cinematography is really good in my opinion and it doesn't feel overly artsy. There are a few CGI effects (mostly toward the end) that are not very good, but are helped by the darkness. The tension-building and pacing could have been a little better, it occasionally feels a little stop and go. I don't know the history of Irish horror, but this is a good one.

You can check it out on Amazon Prime if you have that subscription.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds good! I'll add it to the list.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...........so you are saying you enjoy Furlong's performance in T2? His addition somehow improved the movie?
For a child's performance, I think he was fine. He was significantly better in AHX, but I think the story sets him up to do better too.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me started on that pile of bullshit (Shadows in the Cloud).

First off, the cartoon at the beginning was only one of two amusing parts... and I'm not sure why they showed it and then went back into the intro credits. The Kickass girl has completely bombed in terms of Hollyweird... going from a great film to shit like Carrie and now this. Chloe Grace... M... Mmmmsomething. "In association with New Zealand film commission." Who the fuck cares?

So we're introduced to our heroine walking down the middle of an ACTIVE RUNWAY and then the plane appears behind her like the velociraptor that killed Samuel L. Jackson. She gets on board like getting on a military plane is a fuckin' Uber/Lyft, and then we have a bunch of EVIL NASTY white males that make fun of our heroine because.... uh... apparently Hollywood is still pushing the vaginas can do anything agenda and we'll make the vagina do special things halfway through this film thing. Then, she hops in the bomber turret with a broken arm (or whatever that's all about) like it's no big deal. So you think the feminist push is over, right? NOPE, then we get the men all making fun of her and talking about her sexually while she puts on her best 'hurt face'. WE GET IT HOLLYWEIRD, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Alright, so if you've somehow survived the first 20 minutes of this film, we get to the bullshit this film promised us. Gremlins attacking a plane. The little fucker pops in and tries to snatch our sexually abused lead. She then spots an enemy plane and I guess.... gives birth to bullets or something? She was literally screaming like a chick in labor. So she shoots down the fuckin' enemy, and then the gremlin in full CGI greatness (lol) shows itself and she 'deals with it'. And then they open up the package she brought on (apparently?) which reveals her baby? And she's banged one of the other crew members who is the father? But her original husband she mentioned was like an abusive person or something? Or.... uh... I dunno, if you're not drinking and experimenting with multiple drugs at this point, seek therapy.

So the gremlin (yah that's still in the movie) captures the baby and then Chloe goes climbing around on the outside of the plane to rescue it and do stuff. And then the most hilarious thing in probably action history happens where she falls to Earth but then a Japanese plane (oh yah they are trying to survive against them) EXPLODES below the plane and ROCKETS her back up into the plane. LMFAO. I mean I was dying of laughter there, so at least the film did something right. What's even more funny? They show this IN the trailer, so you don't even have to watch the movie to get the only amusing part of the film.

So yah... then the plane crashes, the gremlin comes back and steals the baby, then Chloe MMA fights the monster and kills it. And the baby cries and queue credits. And then the father is like, "It's okay mom is here!" and she calms the crotch fruit down. And then all the evil sexist men are redeemed because of vagina power. And then roll credits, complete with actual footage of women in history doing aviation things.

Look, when a trailer has to put giant words that read, "INSANELY ENTERTAINING" an "ABSOLUTE BLAST" and then caps it all off with "A GO FOR BROKE PERFORMANCE" seriously what the fuck? Well at least the last part was true because Chloe Grace M.... uh... eh, whatever... WENT for broke and probably will be unless she takes her clothes off at some point. Hey it worked for Kate Mara.
LMAO...

Sums it up perfectly.

I was drinking during that movie, but it was so bad it was sobering.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me and the Conjuring Universe... and yes, I have looked it up to see what is real and not... I am that kind of person lol.

154676082_241890807628899_2730954504976341625_n.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong Turn (2021)

What a disappointment this was. Not at any moment did it feel like it belonged in this franchise, and everything that made the original a decent B-slasher is clearly absent in this film. I know the majority of the WT franchise was lowbrow slasher entertainment, but this movie took itself much more seriously than anything that came before it, and the writing was just flat out lazy at times. If you're going to write a screenplay that wants to be this plot-oriented then you cannot be this lazy. They should have just stuck to the predecessor's DNA and got campy with it once more so that we could have brushed off the laziness. Honestly this movie has no business being a reboot, and titling it as such was the ONLY reason that it is generating the level of revenue that it is. Had it been named differently it would have been slammed much harder & wouldn't have been viewed as much. This is a money grab people.

You go into this film expecting cannibal hillbillies, and some sort of connection to the original franchise (however quaint it may have been)... But no, we get nothing of the sort. No saw-tooth, one-eye or three-finger... Not even a distant cousin... It was like going to see Halloween III and expecting to see Michael Myers... Maybe years down the road this reboot will have a better reception, but right now its just trash. Really the only piece of WT that truly remains is the location. Not even this new spin-off clan of remote hillbillies feels or looks similar.

So let me try to judge this film not by its cover... aka removing it from the franchise tag. This movie has the look & feel of a horror movie pretending to be something that its not so its very difficult to remove it. This movie is very generic from start to finish. A group of teenagers heading off for a weekend getaway in the woods in some podunk backwoods town that hates outsiders. They inevitably get lost & victimized. The only twist being they thought they were being attacked, but rather it turns out was just a natural disaster of sorts. They kill some hillbilly out of fear only to be put to trial by a clandestine tribe of rednecks. To survive the protagonist & her lover conform to the tribe. Time passes before the protagonists' father finds her, which leads her to escape. More time passes and we get another haphazard plot twist where the redneck tribe leader finds her and we get a vague climactic finish where the heroine overpowers her captors & is finally free. Thats it in a nutshell. The horror elements in this movie are bland. Every chase scene is anti-climactic, every jumpscare fails to surprise, the characters are smart in a dumb sort of way, and the plot & outcome of each character arc is flat & somewhat predictable. It features some heavy-handed political context that achieved nothing more than eye-rolls.

This felt like an exhaustive 3-4 hour movie. Only reason I stuck with it was the hope that eventually it would tie into the WT franchise somehow or someway, but it never even attempted to do so. Honestly this film thinks its far more clever than it really is. It wasn't fun or creative. It was just blah all around. Glad I didn't waste money on seeing this in the theaters.

Money-grabbing pretender... 4/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Dot (2021)

On Netflix! English-dubbed Swedish film with a very familiar makeup. Starts out with a frustrating sequence of conflict events which features some incredibly stupid moments. None greater than keying the redneck hunter's car only to drive 5-10 miles down the road and park right off the side of the damn road in clear visibility, before going on a hike to camp out under the stars. I thought it would have been instinctive to want to try & hide yourself right after being caught fleeing after causing thousands of dollars worth of damage to a vehicle belonging to a pair of individuals with guns. Guess not. What follows is a predictable series of events featuring a scene with some disturbing imagery.

Now before you glaze over thinking this is a rinse/repeat type survival thriller... I just want to tell you to STICK WITH IT. It's frustrating but the payoff makes it worth the wait. The suspense is somewhat amateur, but it eventually leads to some decent twists and an ending that saved the film IMO. I don't want to give anything away because honestly without that final 3rd of the film this movie is nothing worth reviewing. The dialogue is cheesy as hell, but thats a tradeoff for most dubbed foreign films. As a result it becomes a struggle to connect with the characters. The title of this film is misleading. After watching the trailer I thought I was in for some sort of torturous cat & mouse type thriller featuring a sniper. You get very little of the sort, and the "red dot" is only seen in one scene. I don't know if the title serves some sort of metaphorical purpose, because I'm not making any connections. Might be some translation context that got lost, much like most of the poor dialogue in this movie.

Overall its a very flawed movie with a satisfying finish, which in hindsight makes it feel equally defective yet efficient lol. I have a feeling that others in here will disagree with that sentiment though. Like I said, the majority of the movie is a frustrating struggle. So grab a drink & lower those expectations and you may feel the same!

Frustrating thriller with a satisfying finish... 6/10

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Dot (2021)

On Netflix! English-dubbed Swedish film with a very familiar makeup. Starts out with a frustrating sequence of conflict events which features some incredibly stupid moments. None greater than keying the redneck hunter's car only to drive 5-10 miles down the road and park right off the side of the damn road in clear visibility, before going on a hike to camp out under the stars. I thought it would have been instinctive to want to try & hide yourself right after being caught fleeing after causing thousands of dollars worth of damage to a vehicle belonging to a pair of individuals with guns. Guess not. What follows is a predictable series of events featuring a scene with some disturbing imagery.

Now before you glaze over thinking this is a rinse/repeat type survival thriller... I just want to tell you to STICK WITH IT. It's frustrating but the payoff makes it worth the wait. The suspense is somewhat amateur, but it eventually leads to some decent twists and an ending that saved the film IMO. I don't want to give anything away because honestly without that final 3rd of the film this movie is nothing worth reviewing. The dialogue is cheesy as hell, but thats a tradeoff for most dubbed foreign films. As a result it becomes a struggle to connect with the characters. The title of this film is misleading. After watching the trialer I thought I was in for some sort of torturous cat & mouse type thriller featuring a sniper. You get very little of the sort, and the "red dot" is only seen in one scene. I don't know if the title serves some sort of metaphorical purpose, because I'm not making any connections. Might be some translation context that got lost, much like most of the poor dialogue in this movie.

Overall its a very flawed movie with a satisfying finish, which in hindsight makes it feel equally defective yet efficient lol. I have a feeling that others in here will disagree with that sentiment though. Like I said, the majority of the movie is a frustrating struggle. So grab a drink & lower those expectations and you may feel the same!

Frustrating thriller with a satisfying finish... 6/10
I was curious about this. I saw the trailer a week or 2 back and thought this will probably be either pretty good or really bad lol. I haven't seen it so Idk about the finish or any twists or whatever, but it seemed like an interesting albeit simple concept.

Sounds a little bit like Phone Booth lol.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some movies I want to check out, but don't seem to be streaming anywhere or are pretty new/just released. Let me know if you guys have seen them.

Mandy - heard it was good.
Sator - Looks pretty good from the trailer. Honestly kind of excited about it, it's up my alley.
Willys Wonderland - this actually just got released I think. Will probably be bad, but looks like it'll at least be fun.
Come Play - Trailer grabbed my attention.
Random Acts of Violence - doesn't look great, but somewhat interesting.
Psycho Goreman - has good reviews, looks to be a kid-friendly horror/comedy, but it doesn't appear to be rated by the mpaa yet.
Sacrifice - trailer seemed interesting, getting some good reviews.
The Cleansing Hour - seems cheesy, but its got good reviews, seems like my type of horror if it is good too.
The Dark and the Wicked - another that seems up my alley and getting good reviews.

Those are some of the newer stuff that I want to check out. What say you?
Some others that I was interested in, let me know if you have seen them...

The Owners
Possessor (not a supernatural demonic feature)
12 Hour Shift
The Vigil
I See You
Survival Skills

There were others, but I can't remember currently.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some others that I was interested in, let me know if you have seen them...

The Owners
Possessor
(not a supernatural demonic feature)
12 Hour Shift
The Vigil
I See You
Survival Skills

There were others, but I can't remember currently.
Pretty sure a few of these have been reviewed in this thread...

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So high definintion strikes again!

In the original The Fog (1980) the priest finds a journal from his grandfather (who was the priest in 1880) which explains about how the town founders killed the lepers and stole their gold to fund the settlement. The "problem" is when the movie was reformatted for high definition the beautiful cursive text was suddenly readable with the following hilarious quotes:

".....my college education to work writing dumb shit in this fucking movies props...

...It's time to bring in the nude girls with big tits, tattoos and shaved beavers..."

20210307_074736.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a Z-flick on Amazon called Alone (2020)...

Don't even bother. It's a complete ripoff of #Alive (2020). Probably by design to make an American reboot or whatever... But this was haphazard from start to finish. Every single scene was a feeble attempt to be the same. Acting is garbage & the fx are garbage... #Alive was far superior in every way possible and this film had no business being made in the first place. Shame on Donald Sutherland for accepting this role.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So high definintion strikes again!

In the original The Fog (1980) the priest finds a journal from his grandfather (who was the priest in 1880) which explains about how the town founders killed the lepers and stole their gold to fund the settlement. The "problem" is when the movie was reformatted for high definition the beautiful cursive text was suddenly readable with the following hilarious quotes:

".....my college education to work writing dumb shit in this fucking movies props...

...It's time to bring in the nude girls with big tits, tattoos and shaved beavers..."

View attachment 266475
Glorious.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a Z-flick on Amazon called Alone (2020)...

Don't even bother. It's a complete ripoff of #Alive (2020). Probably by design to make an American reboot or whatever... But this was haphazard from start to finish. Every single scene was a feeble attempt to be the same. Acting is garbage & the fx are garbage... #Alive was far superior in every way possible and this film had no business being made in the first place. Shame on Donald Sutherland for accepting this role.
Not a rip off persay but based on the same source material. Don't forget the 3rd movie that recently came out based on this story, the French release The Night Eats the World, which predated #Alive by about a year.

I just watched Alone the other day and I generally agree with your synopsis but I wouldn't rate it quite as harshly as you do. I wouldn't say it was garbage (I thought the fxs were decent) but it was mediocre imo.

So 3 movies from the same story came out within about a year of each other, one from Korea, one from the USA, one from France. This makes for a kinda unprecedented, interesting viewing and comparison of the three.

Bottom line: #Alive > The Night Eats the World > Alone. But none were perfect. #Alive might have been the best of the 3 but the lead was annoying at times, there were some plot holes, and the ending was weak (to be fair, the ending was weak in all 3 movies).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a rip off persay but based on the same source material. Don't forget the 3rd movie that recently came out based on this story, the French release The Night Eats the World, which predated #Alive by about a year.

I just watched Alone the other day and I generally agree with your synopsis but I wouldn't rate it quite as harshly as you do. I wouldn't say it was garbage (I thought the fxs were decent) but it was mediocre imo.

So 3 movies from the same story came out within about a year of each other, one from Korea, one from the USA, one from France. This makes for a kinda unprecedented, interesting viewing and comparison of the three.

Bottom line: #Alive > The Night Eats the World > Alone. But none were perfect. #Alive might have been the best of the 3 but the lead was annoying at times, there were some plot holes, and the ending was weak (to be fair, the ending was weak in all 3 movies).
Interesting. I never got around to watching Night Eats the World. So that's good to know.

I'll be honest, I only made it halfway through Alone before turning it off. The FXs weren't even remotely the same as its Korean copy & they skipped over some scenes altogether of which I assume is due to budget limitations. But maybe they saved up for some climactic scenes that I missed to blow their budget wad.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where they are getting the Top 50 exactly, but try it, see how you do.

Top 50 Scariest Horror Movies of All Time Quiz​

I took it before and don't remember what I got, but I missed like 15-20 I think, a lot I had never even heard of before.