• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so sick of these new horror movies, for the most part, being average to brutal. The quality for the most part hasn't been good overall for about a year now. The best movies I have watched were probably more thriller/action than horror. Haven't been too many true horror movies that I have liked in some time.
Agreed... 2019 was decent in terms of variety... Handful of lackluster reboots/remakes (Black Christmas, IT: CH2, Pet Semetary). If it weren't for producing one of my newest favorite horror-comedies in Ready Or Not, I'd say 2019 wasn't very good in terms of quality. In terms of horror, IMO Child's Play, Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark, & Midsommar were the better ones. Doctor Sleep was more fantasy but I thought it was well done. Loved I See You, but definitely more thriller than horror. A lot of people loved Us, but I was very disappointed with it.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... 2019 was decent in terms of variety... Handful of lackluster reboots/remakes (Black Christmas, IT: CH2, Pet Semetary). If it weren't for producing one of my newest favorite horror-comedies in Ready Or Not, I'd say 2019 wasn't very good in terms of quality. In terms of horror, IMO Child's Play, Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark, & Midsommar were the better ones. Doctor Sleep was more fantasy but I thought it was well done. Loved I See You, but definitely more thriller than horror. A lot of people loved Us, but I was very disappointed with it.

It's funny, there were a handful of damn good horror flicks but you seem to remember the disasters just as much lol.

I think The Grudge remake was 2020 but was disappointed with that but no way was it going to live up to the original.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny, there were a handful of damn good horror flicks but you seem to remember the disasters just as much lol.

I think The Grudge remake was 2020 but was disappointed with that but no way was it going to live up to the original.
Agreed!

Grudge... I thought it was much better than Grudge 2 & 3. Took itself more seriously than those did. At least in terms of providing a good story, as opposed to the popcorn thrills of merely watching the curse/ghost claim victims 1 after another. It was a little convoluted at times which made it tedious to watch... But Good atmosphere & detail.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Killer Klowns from Outer Space with my kiddos for the first time this past month was a truly joyful occasion.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Killer Klowns from Outer Space with my kiddos for the first time this past month was a truly joyful occasion.
Brave man! How old are the kids?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brave man! How old are the kids?

12 and almost 9...LOL...I'm a bad parent...but I watched all the greats with my old man in the 80s as a yung'in...so hot damn my kids will too.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 and almost 9...LOL...I'm a bad parent...but I watched all the greats with my old man in the 80s as a yung'in...so hot damn my kids will too.
Nothin wrong with that! I was very young (5-7 yrs) when my dad first took me to the drive-in theater to see Halloween (1978). To this day it is my Holy Grail of horror films. Started my fandom of horror movies.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothin wrong with that! I was very young (5-7 yrs) when my dad first took me to the drive-in theater to see Halloween (1978). To this day it is my Holy Grail of horror films. Started my fandom of horror movies.

You and me are kindreds because BY FAR my favorite is Halloween.

Ha ha...While the kiddos went out with mom to trick or treat...I stayed home and hid behind our tree for the ones visiting my home. Mask alone set me back $70. Scared the crap out of a lot of kids though...The older folks wanted selfies...lulz.

That was the first horror movie we watched.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and me are kindreds because BY FAR my favorite is Halloween.

Ha ha...While the kiddos went out with mom to trick or treat...I stayed home and hid behind our tree for the ones visiting my home. Mask alone set me back $70. Scared the crap out of a lot of kids though...The older folks wanted selfies...lulz.

That was the first horror movie we watched.
Sounds awesome! I've always wanted to own a replica mask. Not necessarily to wear, but wouldn't be off limits!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds awesome! I've always wanted to own a replica mask. Not necessarily to wear, but wouldn't be off limits!

You have to be willing to spend the bucks for the mask because there's a ton of really poorly produced ones (if you're like me and want one that hits it on the head). I even had to be picky on the mask that I chose as the ones from the same product line had variance enough that some were significantly better than others IMO. Do NOT order online unless you have a photo of the exact mask you'll be receiving (No stock photos)...or just wait until you see a good one at a store then jump on it. It took me years to find one I was happy enough to drop good dime on.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell Fest (2018)

As previously mentioned, this movie is going to draw obvious comparisons to Blood Fest (2018) for its similar theme-park/festival premise but I'll exclude that for my review since I already brought up the similarity point.

The beginning of this film was your typical rocky start with teenage slasher films where they script all the dialogue to push character development. As they enter the theme-park they really don't do much of anything important for 10-15 minutes, but merely try to submerge you in the atmosphere of the park. I think they were trying to sell a more ominous tone than they achieved, because all of the misdirection & false scares later in the movie felt like they should have been more dramatic when they weren't. The killer stalking his prey had some moments of promise. It established a motive to enable this killer's hunt, which was one of the better scenes in the film, where the killer got his first kill in front of the female protagonist thinking it was a theme-park gag. I couldn't quite tell if the killer was hopeful to find another murderer amongst the crowd, or if he was merely stalking her for his end-game. The way they showed his curiosity of Natalie's reactions during his first kill made it seem like he was intrigued with her more than seeing her as sheep. Not really that important as the rest of the movie is mainly presented in traditional slasher style. The pacing was a little slow at times, but it inevitably picks up towards the final act.

The suspense was somewhat lackluster. The pacing, the boring atmosphere, some less-than realistic moments and all the false scares took some of the fun out of it. As a result it somewhat lacked that menacing feel that most top notch slasher films have. Some scenes seemed to drag on & on, with senseless dialogue. I liked the cliffhanger ending where we are left with the haunting theme of "killers amongst us". Far from original, but still very effective IMO. Looked like the spent a lot of money on the gore & set designs in this film, but they weren't very well framed which made most of it go unnoticed. They hired the same makeup & effects team responsible for the look of The Walking Dead out of Atlanta. My guess is that is where most of their budget went. It was disappointing that the director failed to effectively capture some of the awesomeness that was on display. But it did feature some very cool set designs.

The acting was ok, but none of the characters were very likable. Natalie didn't really sell her role at times, but mostly believable. I find Bex Taylor-Klaus (The Last Watch Hunter (2015), or Audrey in Scream: TV Series) to be very annoying so her character was DOA for me. Tony Todd's cameo was nothing more than a gimmick cliff-note during one of my favorite scenes in the film where Taylor almost loses her head. All of the male cast were douchebags so didn't care at all for their survival.

Overall it wasn't a bad movie. It just lacked suspense & tone. Even with a bad cast & bad script I felt it was still worth the watch. It had some decent creativity. But I'm a softie for slasher films. I'm sure the mainstream horror fans won't care for it.

Unsuspenseful slasher film... 5.5/10

Man, I’m loving this movie but I am all for the classic teenagers get scared by a crazed killer just toying with them. It has the jump scares too, can get pretty gorey at times as well.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About to watch Trespassers here in a bit, it looks like it could be an entertaining one

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so sick of these new horror movies, for the most part, being average to brutal. The quality for the most part hasn't been good overall for about a year now. The best movies I have watched were probably more thriller/action than horror. Haven't been too many true horror movies that I have liked in some time.

Horror movie Hollywood chooser:

*clicks generate horror movie*
Do a movie about paranormal or witchcraft, avoid nudity, choose PG-13, use loud boom jump scares.

Do a movie about a serial killer, maybe a boob, choose rated R or PG-13, use loud boom jump scares.

Do a movie about paranormal or witchcraft, avoid nudity, choose PG-13, use loud boom jump scares.

Do a movie about paranormal or witchcraft, avoid nudity, choose R, use loud boom jump scares.

Horror movies are so boring these days. Zero imagination.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Primal Rage: The Legend of Konga (2018)

This movie had all the makings of a cheesy SyFy flick. Terrible lead actors in a fight for survival against Rambo-Bigfoot dawning human weaponry... Oh and some Native American hoodoo sprinkled in there to develop the legend narrative... Throw in a sheriff on a peyote trip and a band of borderline inbred backwoods rednecks that are completely inept at their hunting trade and you have yourself a party. This one is right up @DJ & @Chef99's alley.

The tone & look of this movie was very similar to that of the Wrong Turn movies. A paper-thin story with stereotypical clichés & sketchy-ass characters plodding around a scary forest being picked off one-by-one in brutal fashion, but instead of your inbred cannibals we get the Oh-Mah legend (Bigfoot). The lead characters lose most their clothes so we get some vain attempt at making our character more vulnerable, but comes off more as an attempt at adding nudity. Oh and the hoodoo sidestory that was just all around strange. Strange mixture of plot elements & redneck scare tactics thrown together to create a hodge podge movie. The beginning did very little to draw you in, and honestly I was scratching my head in amusement. First, how the boyfriend managed to get himself pegged in the head after he ducked 3 rocks was baffling. But even MORE baffling was how neither he nor the girlfriend never asked each other what happened for the next 20 minutes was beyond me. No inquiries about the dead man they just hit, nor asking what the fuck was throwing rocks at them? Chalk it up to amateur writing I guess. Thankfully once Oh-Mah starts hunting them you forget all about the bad writing. Costume & makeup/gore fx designs were epic. The gore was ridiculously well done for such an under-the-radar film. There was some gut-wrenching brutality on display once the killings start. And shout-out to the whispering lady in this film. Probably one of the creepiest witches this side of Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013).

As a film this was a lackluster attempt with a plethora of problems: bad writing, script problems, plot-holes, character stupidity, muddled plot, you name it... But having said that, I still enjoyed it more than I should have lol. Great cinematography, sound design & FX for the most part. The kill scenes were surprisingly effective. Definitely made it look like a movie with a modest budget. Could have done without the knife & bow to make Oh-Mah more realistic, and the bestiality served zero purpose. And there was far too much of an emphasis on the Indian mysticism. Basically the entire Sheriff character's arc was just a muddled mess that could have been done away with because he really served little purpose other than filling in Max with the legend. Decent low-budget creature-feature filled with campyness. If you liked the Wrong Turn movies then you'll enjoy this one.

Campy creature feature... 6/10

Reactions: DJ

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horror movie Hollywood chooser:

Do a movie about a serial killer, maybe a boob, choose rated R or PG-13, use loud boom jump scares.

Do a movie about paranormal or witchcraft, avoid nudity, choose R, use loud boom jump scares.

Horror movies are so boring these days. Zero imagination.
Well, Hollywood using Mad Libs to write a plot for a horror movie would at least be something different.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thought...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thought...

Sarah Connor easily. Ripley was a badass LEADER and operational asset, but she didn't know how to use guns (Hicks training her). Yah she did a pretty good job of dealing with the alien hive, but most of it was grenades and a flamethrower (hard to miss). She only took down a couple aliens with a fully automatic futuristic weapon that were in a closed space. I felt Ripley's primary contribution was keeping the team together, strategically planning the escape, asking critical questions, etc. She show'd more operational/strategic leadership than Lt. Gorman.

Connor on the other hand was a pretty good shot (fuckin' Danny) and showed she could use a variety of weapons (assault rifle, handguns, shotgun, etc.) and I'm assuming more given the arsenal she kept (didn't expect another Terminator to be using the grenade launcher, etc.). Plus I'm pretty sure John said she dated some guy for a while who taught her military tactics after he was born (he mentions Reese, but also another guy afterwards when the T800 and him are working on the truck).

To me this is a no contest.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sarah Connor easily. Ripley was a badass LEADER and operational asset, but she didn't know how to use guns (Hicks training her). Yah she did a pretty good job of dealing with the alien hive, but most of it was grenades and a flamethrower (hard to miss). She only took down a couple aliens with a fully automatic futuristic weapon that were in a closed space. I felt Ripley's primary contribution was keeping the team together, strategically planning the escape, asking critical questions, etc. She show'd more operational/strategic leadership than Lt. Gorman.

Connor on the other hand was a pretty good shot (fuckin' Danny) and showed she could use a variety of weapons (assault rifle, handguns, shotgun, etc.) and I'm assuming more given the arsenal she kept (didn't expect another Terminator to be using the grenade launcher, etc.). Plus I'm pretty sure John said she dated some guy for a while who taught her military tactics after he was born (he mentions Reese, but also another guy afterwards when the T800 and him are working on the truck).

To me this is a no contest.
God damn dude... You nailed this post.

I was just going to say, "Connor, because she dealt with a superior opponent using superior firepower... She wouldn't fear Ripley in the slightest."

But you went into much better detail! And we thank you for it!

:suds:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damn dude... You nailed this post.

I was just going to say, "Connor, because she dealt with a superior opponent using superior firepower... She wouldn't fear Ripley in the slightest."

But you went into much better detail! And we thank you for it!

:suds:

I know my Terminator and Aliens movies, man :suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know my Terminator and Aliens movies, man :suds:
I wish jakedog was still around... I'm sure you probably knew him outside of this thread (seahawks fan), but in here he loved talking about the Alien movies, amongst others.

Not sure whatever happened to him but he used to be a regular in this thread . He made a reappearance some time ago under a different name. Thereturnofjakedog or something like that.