• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here in a little bit, I’m going to do what I’ve been doing the past couple of years on Halloween night... watch John Carpenter’s The Thing.
my horror month went out with a whimper, had a power outage most of the night, so caught up on stuff i had downloaded on my computer. bunch of duds to end the month the past week

Assimilate - Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but from the perspective of two teens filming for a youtube prank channel...

Skinwalkers - werewolf movie when they're really not werewolves and mostly just shoot at people (i did like underworld, but this was not that)

The Ring 2 - so long since i saw the first, but i'm sure this would have not formed a consistent storyline.

Sphere - It was listed as a horror somewhere, end of the day, not that bad. good cast.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse, think this was the only one I haven't seen before, I think that was for good reason

Rattlesnake and 47 Meters Down:Uncaged - I was pretty out of it for both of these, but don't recall being interested in either. oh, i have to kill someone to or my son dies because of some mystical force and something about being bullied in high school, let's go on a scuba trip to a remote location my dad is going to film for a show or something, fuck if i remember

The Barn - I have to say, this was trash, but I liked it. Plot wasn't really interesting, acting was terrible, but there was something about it that made it a good watch. being lit didn't hurt this one.

Did watch the first four episodes of Creepshow the other day, none of them really seemed to land. Just felt like they weren't fully realized concepts.

until next year

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my horror month went out with a whimper, had a power outage most of the night, so caught up on stuff i had downloaded on my computer. bunch of duds to end the month the past week

Assimilate - Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but from the perspective of two teens filming for a youtube prank channel...

Skinwalkers - werewolf movie when they're really not werewolves and mostly just shoot at people (i did like underworld, but this was not that)

The Ring 2 - so long since i saw the first, but i'm sure this would have not formed a consistent storyline.

Sphere - It was listed as a horror somewhere, end of the day, not that bad. good cast.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse, think this was the only one I haven't seen before, I think that was for good reason

Rattlesnake and 47 Meters Down:Uncaged - I was pretty out of it for both of these, but don't recall being interested in either. oh, i have to kill someone to or my son dies because of some mystical force and something about being bullied in high school, let's go on a scuba trip to a remote location my dad is going to film for a show or something, fuck if i remember

The Barn - I have to say, this was trash, but I liked it. Plot wasn't really interesting, acting was terrible, but there was something about it that made it a good watch. being lit didn't hurt this one.

Did watch the first four episodes of Creepshow the other day, none of them really seemed to land. Just felt like they weren't fully realized concepts.

until next year

Is Resident Evil Apocalypse the 2nd one? I think I liked that one the best in the series. After that one, they went way downhill in my opinion.
I remember watching The Ring 2 when I was working at a video store (shows how old I am) and I had to turn it off around the halfway point because I thought it was was horrible.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't find anything that I wanted to watch last night so settled for....The Midnight Meat Train. A pretty good one and unexpected ending...I remember seeing it a long time ago just forgot some parts and the ending.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching The Mist. Sure, the ending was a bummer, but it was a pretty dang good Creature Feature.

themisttrailer2.jpg

c3a465de33b0fbad776f32b376e234d8.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assimilate (2019)

This plot has been done many times before (Invasion of Body Snatchers (1978), The Faculty (1998), Slither (2006), etc), but this time they do it with found-footage shots mixed in. The plot is almost an exact clone of IBS (1978) with the "pod" creatures, cloning aspects, and the same survival sequencing. It didn't really try to be unique at all other than incorporating different filming styles and a couple of new scenes. Yawn. But I guess if I had to review it as a standalone...

It had its pitfalls, but it did have some good moments and overall was entertaining enough to keep us watching. The barn scene was sort of a highlight, even if I thought it was stupid that only 1 of the boys got their blood taken and the creatures seemed to take their time for some reason. But the protagonist having to kill off a clone was fun to watch. For such an unknown cast they performed admirably well. Hell even the worthless Cam Gigandet, playing the town deputy, had some likable moments in the climax. Overall this was a decent film if you ignore the existence of Invasion of Body Snatchers. But if you don't ignore it, then this film really has no reason to exist.

A clone of a movie about alien cloning... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Child's Play (2019)

I liked this movie a lot more than I should have. We've discussed this at length before, but remakes & reboots are a tough cookie to sell. But this movie just felt different. The plot was, in large part, an exact replica of its predecessor (Child's Play 1988) but it still never gave me the impression or feel that I was watching a remake. This had a lot to do with a reimagined antagonist. And given how much the original series had jumped the shark, a simpler effort was welcome.

They gave Chucky a different origin (albeit lazy... a disgruntled chinese worker? c'mon lol), motives, emotions & personality. Not to mention a completely different look other than the clothes. And I loved it. No knock on the originals though as they will forever be cult classics. I was very apprehensive about the new Chucky given the look, but also for not having the iconic Brad Dourif voicing our favorite little red-headed killer. But I must say, Mark Hamill was awesome. There was something malevolently fun about the innocence in his voice of Chucky that made the entire experience more enjoyable. I'm going to have this damn song stuck in my head for weeks: (this is a better trailer btw)

This remake contained some fresh ideas to make it new for this day & age of a technology-centered culture. The way that Chucky evolves into the killer from an innocent & childish AI was unique and fun to watch. The topic at hand is easily relatable for all ages. We've all seen, heard about, or been involved in discussions with (or as) parents over violent entertainment molding young minds. Seeing that relevant topic play out in the form of a robot with AI was great fun.

The cast was pretty good. I wasn't really a fan of casting a young Aubrey Plaza as a mother (not a very conceivable age, but she is a fun choice), or the redheaded boyfriend. That schmuck could date someone that good looking? AND have a family at home? Dude is miscast as a lady killer in the sheets apparently, but he was easy to hate which is probably what they were going for. I think if they made him & the boy younger it would have helped the casting of Plaza. But its passable enough and they all played their roles well. My wife tried to convince me that the maintenance guy was Jack Black lol. Could have been a fun cameo.

This movie was funny, gory, and tightly paced with some clever & creepy moments of Chucky madness. It achieves a fine horror/comedy balance. I'm actually disappointed that I didn't go see this in theaters. Kudos to the writers, director & producers on this remake. They left the door open for a sequel, and I'm looking forward to it!

A reimagined remake full of fun... 8/10

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Child's Play (2019)

I liked this movie a lot more than I should have. We've discussed this at length before, but remakes & reboots are a tough cookie to sell. But this movie just felt different. The plot was, in large part, an exact replica of its predecessor (Child's Play 1988) but it still never gave me the impression or feel that I was watching a remake. This had a lot to do with a reimagined antagonist. And given how much the original series had jumped the shark, a simpler effort was welcome.

They gave Chucky a different origin (albeit lazy... a disgruntled chinese worker? c'mon lol), motives, emotions & personality. Not to mention a completely different look other than the clothes. And I loved it. No knock on the originals though as they will forever be cult classics. I was very apprehensive about the new Chucky given the look, but also for not having the iconic Brad Dourif voicing our favorite little red-headed killer. But I must say, Mark Hamill was awesome. There was something malevolently fun about the innocence in his voice of Chucky that made the entire experience more enjoyable. I'm going to have this damn song stuck in my head for weeks: (this is a better trailer btw)

This remake contained some fresh ideas to make it new for this day & age of a technology-centered culture. The way that Chucky evolves into the killer from an innocent & childish AI was unique and fun to watch. The topic at hand is easily relatable for all ages. We've all seen, heard about, or been involved in discussions with (or as) parents over violent entertainment molding young minds. Seeing that relevant topic play out in the form of a robot with AI was great fun.

The cast was pretty good. I wasn't really a fan of casting a young Aubrey Plaza as a mother (not a very conceivable age, but she is a fun choice), or the redheaded boyfriend. That schmuck could date someone that good looking? AND have a family at home? Dude is miscast as a lady killer in the sheets apparently, but he was easy to hate which is probably what they were going for. I think if they made him & the boy younger it would have helped the casting of Plaza. But its passable enough and they all played their roles well. My wife tried to convince me that the maintenance guy was Jack Black lol. Could have been a fun cameo.

This movie was funny, gory, and tightly paced with some clever & creepy moments of Chucky madness. It achieves a fine horror/comedy balance. I'm actually disappointed that I didn't go see this in theaters. Kudos to the writers, director & producers on this remake. They left the door open for a sequel, and I'm looking forward to it!

A reimagined remake full of fun... 8/10

Mark Hamill is the perfect choice to voice Chucky. Have you ever heard his Joker? Just outstanding.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Hamill is the perfect choice to voice Chucky. Have you ever heard his Joker? Just outstanding.
I wasn't much into comic cartoons as a kid. But he is an outstanding voice actor in everything he takes part in so I fully believe it!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp... Now that October is over, our favorite slashers need some much-needed R&R.

EIY8gnrXUAA4q8B

Jason in those floaties, outfit & snorkel is killin me. :pound:

lol... had to share @Chef99

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp... Now that October is over, our favorite slashers need some much-needed R&R.

EIY8gnrXUAA4q8B

The most awesome beach day EVER! :pound::pound::pound:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching The Mist. Sure, the ending was a bummer, but it was a pretty dang good Creature Feature.

themisttrailer2.jpg

c3a465de33b0fbad776f32b376e234d8.jpg
I actually thought that the ending fit well with the hopeless tone that the movie had set, which is why I really enjoyed it.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Bone Tomahawk last night. My goodness is this movie brutal. Thought it was good, with a few minor character issues. Jenkins was hilarious throughout. I say 7/10.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EIY8gnrXUAA4q8B

Nice find.

Should have had Freddy with hot dogs on his knives cooking them over one of those tiny portable barbecues....

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli was worth a watch, easy movie to get through.

Loved the Creepshow series (cancelled Shudder as soon as we finished).

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched Scream, S2, and S3 recently (not the 4th yet) and I must say that for how these unfolded comparatively with other slashers like Ft13th, NoES, Halloween, etc... this is by far the best in terms of consistency as well as storytelling.

Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloweens branched too far off the reservation and resulted in the stories being ridiculous and muddled. Whereas with the Scream movies, they were something new each time that fit within the previous story and made sense relatively albeit you have to take it with a grain of salt, but the movie does explain itself which is nice.

I am sure everyone realizes this, but it is nice to see a horror movie series that actually works sequel to sequel. And I have seen all of them before (including the 4th one), but it had been so long that I honestly forgot pretty much everything about all of them except the first one. Probably because I think the first Scream was the first Rated R movie I saw in theaters. Not positive, but it is the earliest one I can remember. I was 9 lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap... Here's a real dose of nostalgia for the Halloween (1978) fans.

A screenshot of the up & coming Halloween Kills (2020) where the producers said the filming was a wrap!

EIfeddKUEAA9WYM

Recognize those 3?

Far right is Kyle Richards... aka Lindsay Wallace
kyle-richards.jpg

Far left is Nancy Stephens... aka Nurse Marion Chambers
nancy-stephens-halloween.jpg

And playing the older version of Tommy Doyle is a recast, but none other than Anthony Michael Hall. lol . The original actor of Tommy Doyle is Brian Andrews, but he wasn't contacted to reprise the role. Judging by his social media accounts he is a very troubled individual who hasn't acted in a very long time. Easy to see why they didn't want him. But Anthony Michael Hall is a curious choice.

DNKrLIyWkAMqSw_.jpg