• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Not terrible, I've seen better kid/teenager actors though.

The Jangly man was pretty gnarly. That was cool. Story was Meh, I think it could have been better for sure.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haunt (2019)

Disappointed with this film. I didn't have high expectations given that this film has been done before, many times over. But with the writers of A Quiet Place, and Eli Roth getting a production credit I thought it would have something more unique & gruesome to add. Sadly it didn't really achieve either.

Story... The story itself was very predictable and cliché. The haunted house didn't have much entertainment value apart from curb appeal. The creepy sheet covered mannequin room, the witch's torture room, the tacky pallet maze, coffin room, the spider web room, the blind feeling holes, etc. None of it was original or unique enough to set itself apart from movies that have used these ideas, and it really didn't produce any scare factor. About the only highlight was the sinister look & nature of the masked antagonists. Shared the same sentiments with many of The Purge movies. The director did an ok job of using these masked villains & setting to create some atmosphere & tension, but really it didn't equate to much. It should have been better. Not to mention some of the plotlines were just dumb. Like the heirloom ring. Didn't really carry much weight for me. Also, the ex-boyfried plotline had potential but sadly they flopped it. Felt like they were building it up to be something more, but then it became a forgotten plot thread to which they suddenly realized, "hey we can bring that dude back for more gore filler". Given the protagonist's traumatic past, you would think they could have played the ex-bf into that better. I liked how they ended the film letting Harper end the clown car sotospeak. Especially using the sticky pad in a vengeful tactic. It was simple, yet effective. I had zero desire to see them twist the resolution into an open ending for possible sequels.

Cast... The victim cast is as average as you can get. None of them really felt candid or believable in their tense moments. They tried really hard to make Harper, played by Katie Stevens, the innocent & traumatized victim that overcomes to make that triumphant statement of survival, but it just didn't land for me. The flashbacks to her traumatic background really didn't parlay into the triumph as well as they wanted it to. The antagonist cast was pretty good. The clown was a little too pennywise for me, but the devil & ghost guys were pretty crazy. "Do you still want to see my face" was the line of the movie for me. Creepy factor of 10. You knew all along that something just wasn't right with that ghost guy, but the eventual turn of events was still entertaining to watch. And that face was seriously f*cked up! The witch was good, but her sequence in the climax was short-lived. The chainsaw dude needed more facetime.

Overall this was a pretty meager attempt at horror. The story slipped too much and didn't provide enough scare to make this movie remotely memorable. 2/3rds of the film felt pretty dull, and the final 3rd of mayhem felt too little too late. And the reasoning for it was rather silly. Passable, but c'mon... The malformed take out their vengeance? Too weak & gimmicky. And they all ended up being too stupid to carry out their plans. It didn't even give us the Eli Roth gore flavor that we're accustomed to. Chalk it up to another one of those production credits that doesn't merit his name. The gore/fx were done well with good detail, even if they weren't much of a focal point. They could have played that element better to give this more of a gruesome feel. I'd only recommend this as a popcorn thriller. Low expectations are key.

A not so haunting affair... 5/10

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta get my ass to the theater to see Haunt (2019). Don't really care if it disappoints, I'm just a fan of anything Eli Roth, and its October! Prime time for horror films. Only thing that scares me is when they put "produced by"... IIRC the new Cabin Fever was "produced by" Roth, and that movie was awful and didn't have many Roth traits to it. But it was entertaining in a sad sort of way lol.
This post aged well... I was right to be scared/nervous going into it.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily a true horror film, but I just watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 with Vince Vaughn on Amazon Prime.
Some very interesting gore moments in this one.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily a true horror film, but I just watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 with Vince Vaughn on Amazon Prime.
Some very interesting gore moments in this one.
You can consider it horror adjacent, as the guy who wrote it also wrote Bone Tomahawk (and directed) as well as Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich. With that said, I have no idea what he tried for with Dragged Across Concrete, that was boring as hell.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can consider it horror adjacent, as the guy who wrote it also wrote Bone Tomahawk (and directed) as well as Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich. With that said, I have no idea what he tried for with Dragged Across Concrete, that was boring as hell.

It is a very political movie. Some of it is explicit, but a lot of the political nature is implicit.

But I agree, it was ultimately still longer than it needed to be. Felt bad for Jennifer Carpenters character.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a very political movie. Some of it is explicit, but a lot of the political nature is implicit.

But I agree, it was ultimately still longer than it needed to be. Felt bad for Jennifer Carpenters character.
i think i was hungover when i watched it, but i chose it because it was so highly rated, vince vaughn and mel gibson among others, figured why not. it was so fucking slow. i enjoyed his other flicks for what they were, but that one, just never clicked for me in that moment. not a fan of jennifer carpenter from her dexter days.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doctor Sleep, baby! I'm all in!

Redrum :nod::nod::nod:

I thought it was a fine horror flick . It was never going to be as good as Kubrick's Shining, and anyone who went in with that expectation was deluded.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what this means, please explicate.

Well I recall playing Resident Evil as a kid and a buddy of mine that games a lot says there are a lot of horror games out there nowadays, like its a trend now. I think he said he played Dead by Daylight (or something like that) and mentioned others, but he said in that aforementioned game that you can play as Michael Meyers, Freddy, Ghostface, etc... seems like an interesting concept.

I haven't played a game in a year or so and usually its either NCAA football or NHL games. Just seeing if anyone on here plays any horror games.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have actually seen it and anyone that has the Vudu App can watch it for free.

Terrible by movie standards, but funny.
Yep. Rented it yearsss ago for the b-horror comedy value and it didn't disappoint.