• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after bill went crazy on that kid i was starting to hope every single character was going to have a similar encounter with him throughout the film.
Hader was a great casting choice. Spot on delivery.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I absolutely loved this movie!

It has been a while since I have watched this and I am pretty sure I posted a review in here or in The Last Movie You Watched thread, but I do distinctly remember not really caring for this movie at all.

What was it that you guys liked about it?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been a while since I have watched this and I am pretty sure I posted a review in here or in The Last Movie You Watched thread, but I do distinctly remember not really caring for this movie at all.

What was it that you guys liked about it?
I loved everything about it.

My review: Horror Movies

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched that new 47 Meters Down movie..... :L *siiiiighhh....*

Should've been renamed to: "47 Meters Down: Ran out of air in 3 minutes because women can't STFU."

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I finished the Haunting of Hill House.

My spoiler-rific review & thoughts:

It was decent. Was sort of disappointed with how it played out in the end given the immense amount of buildup over the house & "the night" itself. Made it feel like something crazy & epic was going to happen. Instead you get a melodramatic plot-tying sequence of events that leaves you wanting more. Essentially all you get is a story about a ghost that infiltrates the mind of a gullible mother convincing her to kill off her children, even in death she must continue that quest. Overall the show wasn't bad though, very dialogue heavy (lots of monologues) with few & far between levels of suspense & scare. I loved the atmosphere & writing, just could have used a little more suspense. Without it, the entire experience felt sort of slow & repetitive to the casual observer. It even sometimes got confusing given all the timeline jumps back & forth between scenes. It really forces you to pay attention.

Superb acting & writing though. One of the show's greatest credits is that it structures itself in a way that makes sense; that it tells the story that it wants to tell in a way that staggers the reveals and makes for what almost could have been a very compelling series just for its story even if it wasn't all too scary. The funeral episode where the remaining family all gets together was pretty cool. The scene at the funeral was shot in 1 continuous filming session without any breaks, and it even continued to do so during the time-jumps where it panned through the darkness of a back hallway into the old house with younger cast. Never seen that done before but they pulled it off masterfully. Some of the character arcs were a touch superfluous, but they were necessary to fill out the full season. And the emotional trauma inside the baggage each character carried was unique & interesting to see play out. Each character was haunted/traumatized in different ways and played a huge part in who they were in present day. They slowly unfolded each character arc throughout the season. However I will say the family drama that gets far more screen time than anything cool or scary is a little soapy for my taste & most of the female characters just come off as utterly annoying at times. Chef will appreciate the lesbo sister though. The show does some obvious pandering on her relationship scenes.

Ghosts... The first glimpse of the floating bowler hat dude by young Luke was f*cking epic. When the camera first turned down the hallway I didn't see him. Pretty sure I thought the figure was some sort of statue, but then it moved and the camera panned up to encompass the entire figure & made me damn near crap myself. Majority of the other entities weren't even close to being as scary. I loved the zombie-like corpse in the basement but we never got another glimpse of it after Luke's ride in the dumbwaiter. The bent-neck lady was a unique arc, and had some visually appealing scenes, but mostly relied on jump scares. I did read an article showing loads of ghosts that were missed, and sure enough there was damn near a ghostly face in every scene. Could be fun to go back & watch it just for that.

I don't see how they could make a season 2 after closing off the plot the way they did. The mom's 'quest for awakening' was relinquished and the father gave his life for it. The house itself of course is in a never-ending pursuit of hunger, so they could pull out a few more ghostly characters to revamp the hunt with an entirely new cast & plot. But hopefully it doesn't simply feature Poppy infiltrating another gullible mind because that was sort of disappointing already. We need more malevolence!

Old-school haunted house affair with great writing, but generic horror tropes... 7.5/10

Those that rec'd it: @Taddy Mason @Nasty_Magician @Terry Rode

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched that new 47 Meters Down movie..... :L *siiiiighhh....*

Should've been renamed to: "47 Meters Down: Ran out of air in 3 minutes because women can't STFU."
So are you saying that you didn't get the screentime that you deserved?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haunted house with 40 pages of disclaimers you have to sign, and pass a medical exam for.
Mother of Mary sweet baby jesus, have you seen the waivers!?

Syringes, fish-hooks to the mouth, dislocated joints, nails to the hand, water-boarding torture, etc. Who the fuck would submit themselves to a hostel-like experience like this?

EHytIURXkAAYleF

EHytJ9KWoAEedWM

EHytZTyX4AA18AO

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just tell me when & where... I'll bring the booze & camera, you bring the immoral hussies.

Syringes, fish-hooks to the mouth, dislocated joints, nails to the hand, water-boarding torture, etc. Who the fuck would submit themselves to a hostel-like experience like this?

EHytIURXkAAYleF

EHytJ9KWoAEedWM

EHytZTyX4AA18AO

Does this mean you're out? :laugh:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean you're out? :laugh:
Can't believe this place exists. They essentially let criminals & murderers torture people legally. If it was just scare tactics then I'd be onboard, but this shit is just insane. I wouldn't even submit myself to that for $100k. $20k is a damn joke.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EHytIURXkAAYleF

EHytJ9KWoAEedWM

EHytZTyX4AA18AO

WTF?

Where is that?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a really good movie yesterday...had some nice jump scares and overall I was impressed. Haven't jumped like that from a movie in a long time tbh. Didn't have high expectations coming into it so it blew me away.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Eli yesterday, not a bad horror movie about a young boy with immune issues, so lives in a bubble. His parents take him to a special house that can treat him and he believes it is haunted. Really enjoying the Evil series and the movie Haunt was good for this time of year. Another one I watched last year that I enjoyed was Boys in Trees, another good one for Halloween, starts of really slow but then gets good . I'm with the others about 3 from hell, so so, should have stopped at Devil's Rejects