• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New movie tonight at 9pm PST on Sy FY!!!!!

Sucked ass....I went to bed around 10-ish.....an hour in and there was a serious lack of monsters.....I rarely don't finish a movie, regardless how bad it is.....Comes on again today at 1pm. May pick it up around 2 to see if it picked up in the 2nd half of the movie.....

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucked ass....I went to bed around 10-ish.....an hour in and there was a serious lack of monsters.....I rarely don't finish a movie, regardless how bad it is.....Comes on again today at 1pm. May pick it up around 2 to see if it picked up in the 2nd half of the movie.....
just started it on demand. don't mind watching an asylum flick. sad to see the big studios trying to steal their thunder by releasing Godzilla: King of the Monsters the same week.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was this Shark Night? Sorry, I got a little lost on this thread lately. Watching it right now.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this Shark Night? Sorry, I got a little lost on this thread lately. Watching it right now.
it was their try at the new Godzilla, not much going on. great effects once they got to the island of course...

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Spot. (on Netflix) Season 2 was just released.

And yes ...it's in French. I believe you can just dubbed it in English
(I prefer sub titles ..I hate not hearing the actors real voice)

This is really more of a crime drama with some sort of Forest entity.
It all takes place in a small french town that has deep connection to the Forrest

This show is very well done. The actors in this just suck you into their characters in 20 minutes.

8/10

(I only up to the first episode of the 2nd season.)

black-spot.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright my fellow Horror enthusiasts... I'm sorta 'back in the game'. Our newborn is approaching 3 months now so our schedules are starting to stabilize more making it easier to have movie nights with the wifey. Although i did manage to watch my share of B-horror films without her, just none worthy of posting about. I told her I'd save the better looking ones for when she could watch with me.

Got some reviews that I'll be plorsting this week.

:suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Silence (2019)

Based on the concept I was rather surprised that Netflix would venture into this material that is so eerily similar to A Quiet Place (AQP) and more or less, Bird Box, just different concepts between the 3. Still, this movie was well-made from a cinematics standpoint. Where it falters is in the writing.

Despite the background & story being very fast paced in the early goings, it still delivers good entertainment. Things sort of fall apart once the para-antagonistic religious cult arrives. Without any sort of background that cult felt very contrived & lazy. With all movies of the apocalyptic genre we are supposed to inherently believe that these sort of events bring out the demons within everyone, but that didn't stop me from thinking this religious cult was a tad unrealistic. Giving the viewers a preview of their insanity prior to the event would have justified that group immensely. The first introduction between the family & the cult should have happened prior to the besieging event. Although I think sticking with the creatures as the sole antagonist would have been a better choice, albeit a complete carbon-copy of AQP. Because once the cult is dealt with in climactic fashion, the script's resolution takes little more than 2-3 minutes to absorb a TON of material. They wrapped it up perfectly, but it just felt incomplete because of the pacing and left you feeling robbed of a better experience.

The cast delivers though. Tucci, the father, plays somewhat of a pussified pacifist, of which irritated me many times but that wasn't the actor's fault. The writers didn't really bridge his character very well. Not to mention the father had a very easy out with taking care of that cult problem as soon as their evil intentions were made. Once they left the farm doorstep he could have waited until they were at a throwing distance then deliver a well-placed vase right in their midst. Crashing noise and they're done for.

Even if we ignore the existence of AQP, this film should/could have been decent but instead it finished as a disappointment. It had solid ideas but the flaws in logic & consistency ruined it. Worth the watch, even if you expect to be disappointed. So there's that... lol

Could have been better... 6/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Us (2019)

Very disappointed with this movie. I enjoyed the first half or so, but once the cloning theory was introduced things started to get very flawed. Reader beware, I'm going to post lots of spoilers in here...

I had a hard time believing this bunker theory. How the hell could it hold 300+ million people? Not just for space, but food & water resources had to be very limited. The red mother mentioned eating a rabbit in her first dialogue moment. Rabbits do only have a gestation period of 1 month, but that still is a hard sell considering the populations. Is there 1 rabbit per person? The human body can survive 3 weeks without food. You would need at least 2 rabbits per person to achieve this. Am I supposed to believe that the rabbits too are being cloned? Where is this mad scientist? Also, if we are to believe there were separate bunkers, then how did they communicate their upheaval? Sure would have taken an immense amount of planning to get that done. And why didn't/couldn't these cloned copies just decide to walk up those escalators to escape the bunkers? Am I supposed to believe that only 1 girl had the brain capacity to make that decision because her clone entered the mirror house? I'm sure thousands of people have partook that mirror house.

So lets just believe all this nonsense for a minute and try to digest this clone rebellion. So after decades of planning, the best they could come up with is killing their good clones with a pair of scissors & doing their own hands across america? Wtf? How did they suddenly become skilled combatants with a pair of scissors? Nobody down in these bunkers would have been able to train them. Sure the people on the surface were sitting ducks, but I have to think out of 300 million people there would be more than just a single family capable of protecting themselves. 1/3 of Americans own a gun. But that figure is considerably larger when you account for multiple guns per household, meaning those firearms can & would be dispersed in an event like this. So the clones want to bring a pair of scissors to a gun fight? Fuck outta here.

However my biggest gripe with the film was the flawed twist in the ending. It ruined not only the premise of the film but also the character arcs.

Premise was that the mother does not remember what happened in the mirror house because of amnesia resulting from a traumatic event. Logical and holds up. But if the mother was the "evil mother" all along then it doesn't hold up. There would be no amnesia from fear.

Also, if the mom was the evil version all along then why would she be afraid of her "shadow" as she claimed to the father in a brief dialogue sequence in the bedroom. Sure she could be scared as to not want to be revealed, but not of her shadow. Both of these are deliberate misleading to set up a twist.

Not to mention why would the good mother go insane & lose her voice? I guess I could believe it, but still felt contrived by the twist.

I'm probably being overly critical of a lot of these flaws since I'm not entirely sure how they could have pulled it off, but that twist in particular was completely unnecessary. The film would have been just fine without it. The cast did a pretty good job. Everyone displayed good ranges of emotion to make the encounters more believable. As I said before, I enjoyed the first half of this film, there were plenty of flaws but ultimately it destroyed itself with trying to give some profound twist that was completely illogical.

Overhyped, and not really satisfying... 6.5/10

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched They Come Knocking this weekend. It's like a hybrid Hills Have Eyes/The Strangers but never came close to matching them. Worth a background noise watch but nothing spectacular.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rim of the World (2019)

On Netflix! This was a pretty clever little sci-fi thriller. If you have a young one wanting to be introduced to the genre then I'd highly recommend watching this one. My 3 year old probably won't remember watching this movie with me, but he was very entertained. A great clash of pop-culture references & scores mixed into this film from many different musical genres, and plenty of comedy. And its target audience is a very broad age range judging by the sexual innuendos. Makes for a very fun ride for both kids & adults, even if the plot itself was very predictable & done many times before. The lead character plays the shy outcast trying to fit in, and by the movie's triumphant ending he becomes the hero & gets the girl. It's the classic cookie-cutter experience for children movies, but its fun to see it get into the sci-fi genre. The cast was quite the eclectic group that didn't fit together very well, but eventually the writing got better and they meshed well. Very likable group. The cgi/fx were somewhat lacking, particularly noticeable with the alien, but it was passable. Overall this is what you call popcorn entertainment, it doesn't break ground or garner a cult following, but it was a blast all the same. And don't worry, the aliens weren't scary enough to frighten my 3 year old. He loved it.

Fun film if you don't take it too serious... 7/10

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright my fellow Horror enthusiasts... I'm sorta 'back in the game'. Our newborn is approaching 3 months now so our schedules are starting to stabilize more making it easier to have movie nights with the wifey. Although i did manage to watch my share of B-horror films without her, just none worthy of posting about. I told her I'd save the better looking ones for when she could watch with me.

Got some reviews that I'll be plorsting this week.

:suds:

You had another one? Congrats, I musta missed this news....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had another one? Congrats, I musta missed this news....
Yep. Another boy born last April. My first is turning 3 this year. Crazy how fast time flies

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Us (2019)

Very disappointed with this movie. I enjoyed the first half or so, but once the cloning theory was introduced things started to get very flawed. Reader beware, I'm going to post lots of spoilers in here...

I had a hard time believing this bunker theory. How the hell could it hold 300+ million people? Not just for space, but food & water resources had to be very limited. The red mother mentioned eating a rabbit in her first dialogue moment. Rabbits do only have a gestation period of 1 month, but that still is a hard sell considering the populations. Is there 1 rabbit per person? The human body can survive 3 weeks without food. You would need at least 2 rabbits per person to achieve this. Am I supposed to believe that the rabbits too are being cloned? Where is this mad scientist? Also, if we are to believe there were separate bunkers, then how did they communicate their upheaval? Sure would have taken an immense amount of planning to get that done. And why didn't/couldn't these cloned copies just decide to walk up those escalators to escape the bunkers? Am I supposed to believe that only 1 girl had the brain capacity to make that decision because her clone entered the mirror house? I'm sure thousands of people have partook that mirror house.

So lets just believe all this nonsense for a minute and try to digest this clone rebellion. So after decades of planning, the best they could come up with is killing their good clones with a pair of scissors & doing their own hands across america? Wtf? How did they suddenly become skilled combatants with a pair of scissors? Nobody down in these bunkers would have been able to train them. Sure the people on the surface were sitting ducks, but I have to think out of 300 million people there would be more than just a single family capable of protecting themselves. 1/3 of Americans own a gun. But that figure is considerably larger when you account for multiple guns per household, meaning those firearms can & would be dispersed in an event like this. So the clones want to bring a pair of scissors to a gun fight? Fuck outta here.

However my biggest gripe with the film was the flawed twist in the ending. It ruined not only the premise of the film but also the character arcs.

Premise was that the mother does not remember what happened in the mirror house because of amnesia resulting from a traumatic event. Logical and holds up. But if the mother was the "evil mother" all along then it doesn't hold up. There would be no amnesia from fear.

Also, if the mom was the evil version all along then why would she be afraid of her "shadow" as she claimed to the father in a brief dialogue sequence in the bedroom. Sure she could be scared as to not want to be revealed, but not of her shadow. Both of these are deliberate misleading to set up a twist.

Not to mention why would the good mother go insane & lose her voice? I guess I could believe it, but still felt contrived by the twist.

I'm probably being overly critical of a lot of these flaws since I'm not entirely sure how they could have pulled it off, but that twist in particular was completely unnecessary. The film would have been just fine without it. The cast did a pretty good job. Everyone displayed good ranges of emotion to make the encounters more believable. As I said before, I enjoyed the first half of this film, there were plenty of flaws but ultimately it destroyed itself with trying to give some profound twist that was completely illogical.

Overhyped, and not really satisfying... 6.5/10
i think my biggest issue with the film was

when the clones where first introduced they seemed supernaturally strong, like they were killing these folks with ease. When it was revealed they were just clones and the one lady was in fact a clone, i was like, how the fuck where they 10x stronger than everyone else.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think my biggest issue with the film was

when the clones where first introduced they seemed supernaturally strong, like they were killing these folks with ease. When it was revealed they were just clones and the one lady was in fact a clone, i was like, how the fuck where they 10x stronger than everyone else.
I don't know if it was the appearance of strength or simply that the people defending themselves were suddenly & incomprehensibly retarded. The dad in particular was pathetic.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it was the appearance of strength or simply that the people defending themselves were suddenly & incomprehensibly retarded. The dad in particular was pathetic.

Are you sure you wanna talk shit about dads??? :pound::pound::pound:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody have a Shudder subscription? Is it worth it?

I did, awhile back. For some hardcore horror, I thought it was interesting but I kinda lost that interest. Really not bad if ya wanna get yer horror geek on. :thumb: