• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also saw Brightburn a couple days ago

This movie I wanted to see, because I am a big Superman fan...

But come on!!! the superman parallel was a waste...

The kid went from a good but weird kid to a monster too quickly, and they basically blamed it all on the ship...

The parents sucked... They were no Martha and jonathan… not even close...

the premise was great, the execution was horrendous....
Going to wait for this to stream online... Seems like a good twist on the typical superhero films nowadays, and I liked the direction that M. Night took it in the Glass/Split films, even if the execution of Glass was disappointing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been looking forward to IFC Midnight productions... They just keep getting better every year.

Their latest installment comes out this Friday:

:plotting:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fan-made trailer since the new movie hasn't put one out yet...

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to wait for this to stream online... Seems like a good twist on the typical superhero films nowadays, and I liked the direction that M. Night took it in the Glass/Split films, even if the execution of Glass was disappointing.
Korean HD VOD is out there (english, just have hangul subtitles).

also, don't know if anyone was into the scream tv series, but it appears they dropped a third season on VH1 this week, seems a weird week to throw it out there. nothing to do with the first two seasons.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Korean HD VOD is out there (english, just have hangul subtitles).

also, don't know if anyone was into the scream tv series, but it appears they dropped a third season on VH1 this week, seems a weird week to throw it out there. nothing to do with the first two seasons.
Good to know! Thanks!

Scream series... I watched the first season but never got around to the 2nd. But honestly don't remember much about it

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to know! Thanks!

Scream series... I watched the first season but never got around to the 2nd. But honestly don't remember much about it
the third season is a standalone from the other two from what i can tell. watching the 4th episode now, final two air tonight. feel like i know the twist, but hope i'm wrong.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daylight's End (2016)

On Netflix! This was a cookie-cutter Z flick that focused more on action, but still had all the repeatedly bad decision-making skills & general cheesiness. The dialogue was laughable more often than not. It tried really hard to pull emotion from the audience with its character conflicts, but failed miserably. The plot was suspect at times and some of the characters were beyond stereotypical. None other than Mr. Lance Henriksen gets in on the action. Thank the lord. But all that said, it's loaded with action. It's the usual guns-a-blazin' with zombs devouring people, nothing more nothing less. The downtown setting was cool, but they didn't do anything unique with it. And the zombs were more vampire than zombie, exactly like they were in I Am Legend. Alpha and all.

Overall it's entertaining for a low budget Z-flick, but drastically lower your expectations if you're wanting to give it a watch.

Mindless Z entertainment... 5.5/10

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gonna give Critters Attack! a whirl later, sure it'll be a real crowd pleaser.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gonna give Critters Attack! a whirl later, sure it'll be a real crowd pleaser.
giphy.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't even know if i watched one after the original. either way i can't recall watching one in forever, so i'll miss whatever winks and nods they throw in.
I miss those 80's camera angles from the creature POV...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malevolent (2018)

On Netflix! For a Netflix Original this was very disappointing. It certainly wasn't a very memorable movie. In a word, it was derivative. It was a mishmashing of a lot of different movie ideas in a very incohesive manner. The writing was pretty bad. I liked the premise & some of the concepts used, but nothing about it felt cohesive. The brother & sister appeared to squabble the entire movie creating a series of bad decisions. The 'love interests' side plots from the geeky cameraguy was a stupid additive. Felt more like a painful display of the friend-zone. And also the brother's gf was nothing more than cattle led to slaughter.

The premise of these characters scamming those looking for closure and discovering a real haunted house was unique. However it was wasted due to simply dreadful plot progression & poor excuse for plot twists. I was hoping for a creepy ghost story with perhaps some form of demonic presence, instead we get yet another in the long line of ghost films where the ghosts are poor lost souls. And even the intended mystery moments were rushed as it cuts right to the culprit in record fashion, before delivering a very flat climax.

There really wasn't much to like about this film. The cinematography was decent, but the lighting could have been a touch darker to dull the "ghost" appearances. I say that in quotes because they did not use cgi/fx, rather children in makeup and it was a little too obvious. Never did any of those little ghost girls come off as ominous or scary. The acting wasn't anything to write home about, but at least nobody came off as one-dimensional. Although the characters were mostly unlovable and very forgettable.

Overall this movie went in the wrong direction too many times to count. So many subplots that didn't really come full circle, but rather just side 'events' to push the character agenda.

Hard pass on this one... 3/10

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched a few here and there

The Long Hair of Death (1965) - Available on Prime, but the copy/print of the movie available there was so shit I really couldn't get into it sound and picture were both horrible.

The Wailing - More of a mystery/thriller, but I've seen it on some horror lists. Korean, so you have to read subtitles, enjoyed it, but not sure I entirely got it or what they were going for.

The Intruder - If you've seen the trailer, you pretty much know what this movie is about. For the most part I enjoyed it, Quaid was really good, though there's some characters choices that are always annoying.

Werewolf of London (1935) - Your typical werewolf movie. About midway in you meet two landladies that are awesome.

Vamp - 80s camp set largely in a strip club .

Gravy - Done by James Roday from Psych. Felt like there was something missing that didn't make everything work.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haunt (2014)

Been wanting to review this one for a while in regards to my fandom of the IFC Midnight productions, but kept forgetting to. This film presented a very effective ghost story in a dark vein. The storyline is far from complicated, but you do get the feeling that this was part of a larger story arc the way that it plays out. That's the result of good story telling. It came off as a bit more of a drama thriller than horror though as it focuses on the relationship of the 2 lead actors. It uses some typical jump scares to unsettle the audience, but still manages to come off as more genuinely scary than most. By the end of the movie it manages to conjure up an emotional ending that felt very satisfying. I enjoyed the acting and the performances from all the cast. Kudos to the leads Harrison Gilbertson (from the recent Upgrade film) & Liana Liberato. And the other supporting cast really tie the knot well. The visual cgi/fx were simple but functional. For a low budget indie film this film was beautifully presented. The filming, score, etc... Excellent cinematography from that standpoint.

Overall this was an entertaining piece. The end result was sort of a love story with demons thrown in. It doesn't blow you away in regards to the horror genre, but it does present a good ghost story that captivates if you're in the mood for something like that.

Effective ghost story that has a heavy drama element... 6.5/10

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if anyone posted this a while back but thought that this would be a good thread to put this in.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DIdn't get the chance to watch this trailer until now... I'm interested!

Has a very wicker man/ The endless vibe to it.

These cultist horror movies always seem to do a great job at ramping up the suspense but have trouble
bringing it home.