• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rim of the World (2019)

On Netflix! This was a pretty clever little sci-fi thriller. If you have a young one wanting to be introduced to the genre then I'd highly recommend watching this one. My 3 year old probably won't remember watching this movie with me, but he was very entertained. A great clash of pop-culture references & scores mixed into this film from many different musical genres, and plenty of comedy. And its target audience is a very broad age range judging by the sexual innuendos. Makes for a very fun ride for both kids & adults, even if the plot itself was very predictable & done many times before. The lead character plays the shy outcast trying to fit in, and by the movie's triumphant ending he becomes the hero & gets the girl. It's the classic cookie-cutter experience for children movies, but its fun to see it get into the sci-fi genre. The cast was quite the eclectic group that didn't fit together very well, but eventually the writing got better and they meshed well. Very likable group. The cgi/fx were somewhat lacking, particularly noticeable with the alien, but it was passable. Overall this is what you call popcorn entertainment, it doesn't break ground or garner a cult following, but it was a blast all the same. And don't worry, the aliens weren't scary enough to frighten my 3 year old. He loved it.

Fun film if you don't take it too serious... 7/10
i thought it was trash. halfway through between the dialogue and being put in situations to overcome their fears I half thought the camp was really some virtual reality experience.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought it was trash. halfway through between the dialogue and being put in situations to overcome their fears I half thought the camp was really some virtual reality experience.
I definitely did not get that feeling. But as I said in the review, I did pickup on the bad cohesion between the kids early on. Luckily it got better. Tailored primarily to kids so I don’t expect many adults to love it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw Pet sematary

never saw the original...

Wasn't a big fan of this adaption...

Hated Lithgow's character.

Did not like how the wife's back story meant nothing to the story... was just a creepy filler... and she never evolved as a character...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also saw Brightburn a couple days ago

This movie I wanted to see, because I am a big Superman fan...

But come on!!! the superman parallel was a waste...

The kid went from a good but weird kid to a monster too quickly, and they basically blamed it all on the ship...

The parents sucked... They were no Martha and jonathan… not even close...

the premise was great, the execution was horrendous....

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw Pet sematary

never saw the original...

Wasn't a big fan of this adaption...

Hated Lithgow's character.

Did not like how the wife's back story meant nothing to the story... was just a creepy filler... and she never evolved as a character...

That's disappointing to hear, I was looking forward to it.

Then again, you and I don't always see eye to eye, do we? ;)

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollywood needs to make a new good ol fashioned haunted house movie.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely did not get that feeling. But as I said in the review, I did pickup on the bad cohesion between the kids early on. Luckily it got better. Tailored primarily to kids so I don’t expect many adults to love it.
I was hoping it was going to be similar to Stranger Things/80s type vibe

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This, I agree with. It was also part of Kings novel (which, overall was creepy as hell), and it didn't work for me at all. It's been awhile since I've seen the original movie, which I thought was great, but there were scenes with her and her sister in that as well. Also didn't work for me.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Match (2019)

On Netflix! This movie reminded me a lot of Swim Fan or Fatal Attraction, just giving either an updated 'Tinder' twist. The production company's tag line was "Fatal Attraction for the tinder generation". lol. Although neither actor in this film could hold a candle to Michael Douglas & Glenn Close, even if they did an admirable job. One immediate problem that I noticed was with perception of the film's progression. The writing & directing was simple & effective (couple of holes here & there), yet the viewpoints can drastically change the experience. You are led to believe that Harris is the victim & Riley the villain, which is as black & white as I can make it without giving anything away. That is how I perceived it, however my wife felt that Harris was far too unsympathetic & unlikable to ever see him as a victim. That viewpoint came to fruition when the climactic twist comes into play. It was a WTF moment for me, but for her it was a "I called it" moment.

Not a horrible movie by any stretch of the imagination, just needed a little more to it. The predictability of it made the waning moments feel exhausting, but the twist rewards you. Didn't care for the explanation of the twist (delivered from the lawyer) because I felt like it was far-fetched & lazy just to deliver the wow moment. The ending scenes between Harris & Riley were interesting and it had its moments where it shines, but overall it was sort of a forgettable experience.

Unbridled revenge thriller with a twist... 5.5/10

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Match (2019)

On Netflix! This movie reminded me a lot of Swim Fan or Fatal Attraction, just giving either an updated 'Tinder' twist. The production company's tag line was "Fatal Attraction for the tinder generation". lol. Although neither actor in this film could hold a candle to Michael Douglas & Glenn Close, even if they did an admirable job. One immediate problem that I noticed was with perception of the film's progression. The writing & directing was simple & effective (couple of holes here & there), yet the viewpoints can drastically change the experience. You are led to believe that Harris is the victim & Riley the villain, which is as black & white as I can make it without giving anything away. That is how I perceived it, however my wife felt that Harris was far too unsympathetic & unlikable to ever see him as a victim. That viewpoint came to fruition when the climactic twist comes into play. It was a WTF moment for me, but for her it was a "I called it" moment.

Not a horrible movie by any stretch of the imagination, just needed a little more to it. The predictability of it made the waning moments feel exhausting, but the twist rewards you. Didn't care for the explanation of the twist (delivered from the lawyer) because I felt like it was far-fetched & lazy just to deliver the wow moment. The ending scenes between Harris & Riley were interesting and it had its moments where it shines, but overall it was sort of a forgettable experience.

Unbridled revenge thriller with a twist... 5.5/10

Never liked her. I think I first saw her in Banshee? So right away I have preconceived notions...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never liked her. I think I first saw her in Banshee? So right away I have preconceived notions...
I couldn’t remember what I had seen her in until I looked her up... Bone Tomahawk, Westworld & Gotham. All small roles but somehow I recognized her.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pet Sematary (2019)

Not too shabby remake. I enjoyed this film even if I thought it had many flaws and left me wanting more from the original. I'll explain. First off, I was a big fan of the '83 novel written by Mr. King, and I admired the original 1989 screenplay adaptation but didn't love it. The '89 film honed in the themes of grief and consequences for Louis' Creed's actions, which was good & all but it left most of the terror from the book out. It was sort of a cut-rate horror movie that was more funny than creepy. While this new film is more analytical with the concept of the afterlife and its possible existence, it plays up the suspense much better. However it sort of lost out on the character emotion aspects of the original.

The director pair of Kölsch and Widmyer did an ok job building tension and atmosphere within the picture. A lot of scenes, not only dream sequences, had a surreal like quality to them due to the use of fog and set design which looked a little overplayed but not bad. The film is very slow moving and unnerving with little to no jump scares, which is a plus. It seems to take itself very seriously, but some parts came off as comical due to the absurdity of the whole situation and I could not tell if it was intentional or not. Practical effects were used in all the scenes with gore that was visually satisfying. The acting was top notch. Jason Clarke did a great job playing Louis Creed as did John Lithgow as Jud adding another dimension to the characters that hasn't been seen in the previous film or in the book. But the progression left out some raw emotion that would have helped the audience connect better. I also thought some character motivations were not well explained and did not make much sense which kind of took me out of it a little.

Overall, they took a book that was superb and made a decent adaption of it, but IMO it could have been a homerun if it found middle ground to its 1989 counterpart. This rendition does not add anything new to the existing story besides minor role reversals, but it is more grounded & serious. Besides a few issues, I would highly recommend Pet Sematary to fellow horror fans and movie buffs in general who just like a well told story.

Darker than the original, but still lacking... 6.5/10

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Escape Room (2019)

Even if this film was somewhat of a ripoff of The Cube, it was entertaining all the same. There have been a handful of these escape room type movies (2 specifically from 2017 with the same title), , but only the Cube compares to this film's scale. Very simple plot concept with a predictable plot progression, but it was very well done and I was genuinely enthralled. The details put into each escape room was awesome and well thought out as the scenarios related to each character, even presenting a ton of intra-character conflicts. Superb writing on that front, however there were some holes & wasn't a big fan of the ending. The ending was ok, passable, yet it still left me wanting a lot more. After all the characters guessing whom might be behind it, I thought we were in for some sort of surprise ending but no. And the resolution was very predictable. If the organization responsible for it was still at large then you knew those survivors were on borrowed time. I am not familiar with most of the actors, except for Tyler Labine (Tucker & Dale vs. Evil) & Deborah Ann Woll (Mother's Day), but they were all very good in these roles. Thankfully they weren't just a cast of one dimensional actors.

This film draws some influences from The Cube & even the Saw franchise, however if you are expecting buckets of gore & death scenes, look elsewhere. This screenplay is much more attuned to focusing on the elaborate puzzles and the character's roller-coaster of emotions, resulting in a film that is more intriguing than disturbing. As I said before, the premise doesn't scream originality, but its was a perfectly enjoyable thriller film. It has a great pace to it that never lets up and engages you throughout. The cinematography is great. Overall I'd recommend this film for those that enjoy these types of films.

Innovative thriller with a derived plot concept... 7.5/10

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might wait for video for that but it does look interesting. I liked the first one and I think we can agree that it's better to pretend that the 2nd one doesn't exist.
HD streams were posted online last week... Give it a go!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I vaguely remember somebody posting about this... @DJ ?

Anyway... New look trailer. Drops this week!