• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hill Trade?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a tough pill for Chief fans to swallow. Not going to replace his playmaking ability but maybe, just maybe makes Mahomes even better in the long run. And the Chiefs brass seem to have a good eye for fast WRs in the draft. I know that may be wishful thinking to a degree but let's see the rest of this play out. A lot of things can happen yet.
Chiefs have done pretty crappy with WRs in the draft other than Hill, no?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were making it sound like Mahomes made Hill....LOL.
didn't say that, but if you saw the stat Shane just posted who did he truly flourish under...?

and now he'll be getting passes from Tua? color me terrified...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of guaranteed money being thrown around by the owners right now is going to ruin football in about 5 years. You will see massive contracts signed, guys getting too much guaranteed to cut, and not capable of playing to potential anymore because of age or injuries. So cap space is going to get gobbled up with dead money and teams not competitive anymore because they had to get rid of most of their younger quality players ready for raises because they can't resign them due to poor contracts prior and creating dead cap space.

It now costs $80 million to sign a franchise QB and cornerstone WR. That is 3 years prior to Burrow and Chase being available. With the Browns running the Bengals, anyone got any ideas where Burrow and Chase wind up in a few years?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of guaranteed money being thrown around by the owners right now is going to ruin football in about 5 years. You will see massive contracts signed, guys getting too much guaranteed to cut, and not capable of playing to potential anymore because of age or injuries. So cap space is going to get gobbled up with dead money and teams not competitive anymore because they had to get rid of most of their younger quality players ready for raises because they can't resign them due to poor contracts prior and creating dead cap space.

It now costs $80 million to sign a franchise QB and cornerstone WR. That is 3 years prior to Burrow and Chase being available. With the Browns running the Bengals, anyone got any ideas where Burrow and Chase wind up in a few years?
I might be biased but its ruining football right now. The rookie contracts are too good and the veteran contracts too awful.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the contract Hill got, I don't hate it. But in the short term this will be ungood. Hill is a massive headache in general so that being the fuck out of here is nice as well.

Can still have that defense heavy draft to shore up the blatant holes it has.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only drafted 1. He has been about average.

Its mostly been ignored because they had Hill, Kelce and Watkins on the books for most of the time.
Only 1? I'm talking going back 10 years or 5 or how ever many you want. I'm not necessarily criticizing them, I was just responding to the comment that they have done well

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be biased but its ruining football right now. The rookie contracts are too good and the veteran contracts too awful.
I agree with that.

Rookie contracts shouldn't be longer than 3 years before becoming free agents, and free agents shouldn't get as much as they do guaranteed wise. Guarantees should cap at 40% of the contract.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Grade Dolphins (C+ trade + C- signing)
C Grade Chiefs

I get the Chiefs would not be able to resign Hill. They chose Brown Jr. over the 28 year old receiver which is the correct move end of day. Andy Reid should be able to find a way to get other receivers to work and the extra draft picks can help the Chiefs stock up on additional offensive talent. The downside for the Chiefs is the AFC West is stacked at the moment and losing Hill is a serious hit for the Chiefs playoff chances. That said, Mahomes is already locked up long term and is young, so it may just be a mail in season for the Chiefs until they can reload on ammo and Reid can adjust an offense without Hill. Mahomes is talented enough that he should be able to make things work, and still has Kelce as a weapon. That said, if the Chiefs are 'mailing it in' this year I can't give that a high grade at all. The value obtained is about the same as Adams so whatever.

As for the Dolphins, they're not really losing anything substantial in terms of the draft by giving away the #29 overall and a late 2nd. Would they be able to get a wide receiver as talented as Hill with either of those picks? The likely answer is no. That said, the trade came with the contingency that Hill was going to get a massive contract... and oh boy did he ever. $30M per with 60% guaranteed. OOOOF! Not only is that an insane amount, but the Dolphins are still starting Tua who is not near as talented or competent as Mahomes, nor in a great offensive system like Andy Reid's.

That said, Hill will almost assuredly see his productivity plummet and that could result in drama, especially since the Phins are not really a playoff caliber team especially with the Patriots/Bills ahead of them. The Phins are not a WR away from a Super Bowl especially with the stacked AFC so what's the point? It seems like the Phins organization who was rumored to have Tua on the trade block, is now just all in with him? I guess? The Terron Armstead signing would seem to indicate so but you just locked up an injury prone OT to a LARGE contract and now a 28 year old wide receiver who produced in one of the best offenses in the NFL? Seems to me the Miami FO has a 'plan' but it seems like a longshot..

Seems like a pretty mediocre/crappy trade for both teams. The Chiefs are no longer the favorites in the AFC West, and the Dolphins are still not the favorites in the AFC East. So... yah. A team became mediocre on paper (although they do have one of the best QBs in the NFL which can make things work) and another team became... a better mediocre team on paper?

VERY similar to the Packers trading Adams, although the Packers are in a terrible conference and division and should be able to win anyway.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recipe for disaster. I see a bigger issue when Hill is going across the filed at like 90 mph. Not an easy pass to complete to a guy his size at that speed.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recipe for disaster. I see a bigger issue when Hill is going across the filed at like 90 mph. Not an easy pass to complete to a guy his size at that speed.
I'd imagine they'll use him like Bama used Ruggs

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs have done pretty crappy with WRs in the draft other than Hill, no?
I would say a lot of that is they haven't needed to and have been drafting late so filling other needs in early rounds. The only high pick since they drafted Robinson & Hill(which were 4th and 5th rd) was Hardman. And they have only drafted WR 4 times over the last 5 years so yeah, my statement was off on them in a way. I just think it wasn't about Andy not having an eye for talent as much as not looking for it.
One thing this trade does is give them extra picks and frees up some money for a potential FA signing or trade too. I think whenn all this shakes out, they will be sitting pretty good.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say a lot of that is they haven't needed to and have been drafting late so filling other needs in early rounds. The only high pick since they drafted Robinson & Hill(which were 4th and 5th rd) was Hardman. And they have only drafted WR 4 times over the last 5 years so yeah, my statement was off on them in a way. I just think it wasn't about Andy not having an eye for talent as much as not looking for it.
One thing this trade does is give them extra picks and frees up some money for a potential FA signing or trade too. I think whenn all this shakes out, they will be sitting pretty good.

They 100% need that money for Brown Jr. There's no way they were going to be able to afford him, Mahomes, Kelce, AND Hill. Kelce's cap moves up next year, but his dead cap is SUPER low, so the Chiefs can cut him at minimal risk if he ends up injured or starts lacking in productivity. I think that was the key decision to moving on from Hill. Also, Reid much like Holmgren has always employed a heavy emphasis on tight end in his system.

Chiefs should be okay, they still have one of their main weapons in Kelce, Hardman still has another year, and there's some decent wideout talent in the 2nd round this year. Given how good Mahomes and Reid are, I'm sure they'll be able to put together a decent offensive performance, although I doubt it'll keep pace with the Chargers/Broncos.