• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heyman: Rob Manfred Will ‘Seriously Consider’ Reinstating Pete Rose

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to think that Manfred will (probably already has) discuss the situation with Vincent and Selig before he acts.

Manfred has made a lot of big statements since taking the office...

1) He will "ban" the defensive shift
2) He will implement the DH in the NL
3) He will reinstate Rose

Basically, all he has REALLY said is that he is willing to consider these things. Personally, I think it is mostly bluster and nothing will come of any of these things.

I think they should implement the DH in the NL, but it's not something I care much about.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

A variation of this sign is in every clubhouse. The penalty for ignoring it: Lifetime/Permanent ban. Is Rose still breathing? If so, no HOF. Rose himself agreed to the ban to prevent even more damning info coming out.

Yes, this is widely known as the "Golden Rule" of baseball. Betting on baseball is the one thing that will get you banned for life (or in Shoeless Joe's case, longer).

Pete gambled on his baseball life...and lost.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree.

I ran into the dean of students from the school that I went to from K-8 a few months ago. I never did anything really wrong, but I was constantly up to mischief. He said the main thing he remembered about me was that if I was caught, I was caught. I'd never try to lie my way out, never say so and so did this or that, never said it was someone else's idea - you got me, what's the punishment. As strange as it may sound, it meant a lot to me that that is how he remembered me.

After all, he could have only remembered me as the kid he butt fucked in the teacher's lounge.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

A variation of this sign is in every clubhouse. The penalty for ignoring it: Lifetime/Permanent ban. Is Rose still breathing? If so, no HOF. Rose himself agreed to the ban to prevent even more damning info coming out.

Yes, this is widely known as the "Golden Rule" of baseball. Betting on baseball is the one thing that will get you banned for life (or in Shoeless Joe's case, longer).

Pete gambled on his baseball life...and lost.
But...

But...

But...

He feels BAD...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there sympathy for Rose around the game? Rose broke one of the golden rules of the game. There's absolutely no excuse for what he did. Rose has no business in the Hall of Fame. EVER!!

Rose was stupid for agreeing to the ban but I don't see all the hate on contempt for him as though he was the lowest of the low. Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker broke the exact same cardinal rule except they were allowed to bow out of baseball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose was stupid for agreeing to the ban but I don't see all the hate on contempt for him as though he was the lowest of the low. Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker broke the exact same cardinal rule except they were allowed to bow out of baseball.
Sadly, it is a sign of the times that so many folks will excuse poor or even criminal behavior by pointing out that others did it too and didn't get caught or it wasn't as bad as what so and so did etc.

Rose accepted his ban in exchange for the burial of the most damning evidence against him. In my opinion Bart Giamatti and Faye Vincent were far too kind to him and should have finished the investigation and buried what was left of this POS' reputation for good.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmm, not sure what that reference is. Nobody is excusing his gambling but the myth that the cardinal rule was only broken by the Black Sox is also a stupid logic for not allowing him in the HOF.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there sympathy for Rose around the game? Rose broke one of the golden rules of the game. There's absolutely no excuse for what he did. Rose has no business in the Hall of Fame. EVER!!

For me the sympathy is for several reasons- For one I grew up watching him and whether you liked him or not his work ethic and on field play was what you wanted every kid to emulate. He ran out every ball, took every extra base he thought he could get, and played any position he was needed, no matter what his status in the game, without complaining. He was never the best player in the game, never even the best player on his team but he made himself into a winner and if he was not on your team, you hated to have to play against him.
Yes, he made an agreement but for whatever reason, I believe as cocky and arrogant as he can be, he is one guy who deserves forgiveness. Another reason I have sympathy is because you can tell that baseball is all he has ever had and all he will ever have. As bad as his actions were, taking baseball away from Pete Rose is like if Dick Vitale was caught doing something wrong and he was never allowed to be a broadcaster in a college basketball any more. It reminds me of my days back when I used to film commercials with hand models. There was a guy, Ray McKegney who had the perfect milky white hands and he could have lived a life of luxury and splendor, if he could only protect and respect his hands. He could have had any woman in the world, but none could match the beauty of his own hand. Sadly, he was not master of his domain. The muscles became so atrophied that his hand was locked in a deformed position, almost like a claw.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me the sympathy is for several reasons- For one I grew up watching him and whether you liked him or not his work ethic and on field play was what you wanted every kid to emulate. He ran out every ball, took every extra base he thought he could get, and played any position he was needed, no matter what his status in the game, without complaining. He was never the best player in the game, never even the best player on his team but he made himself into a winner and if he was not on your team, you hated to have to play against him.
Yes, he made an agreement but for whatever reason, I believe as cocky and arrogant as he can be, he is one guy who deserves forgiveness. Another reason I have sympathy is because you can tell that baseball is all he has ever had and all he will ever have. As bad as his actions were, taking baseball away from Pete Rose is like if Dick Vitale was caught doing something wrong and he was never allowed to be a broadcaster in a college basketball any more. It reminds me of my days back when I used to film commercials with hand models. There was a guy, Ray McKegney who had the perfect milky white hands and he could have lived a life of luxury and splendor, if he could only protect and respect his hands. He could have had any woman in the world, but none could match the beauty of his own hand. Sadly, he was not master of his domain. The muscles became so atrophied that his hand was locked in a deformed position, almost like a claw.

That's a touching story.

Did Ray McKegney knowing break the one and only rule of hand modeling that would earn him a lifetime ban from hand modeling?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a guy, Ray McKegney who had the perfect milky white hands and he could have lived a life of luxury and splendor, if he could only protect and respect his hands. He could have had any woman in the world, but none could match the beauty of his own hand. Sadly, he was not master of his domain. The muscles became so atrophied that his hand was locked in a deformed position, almost like a claw.

This story is fucking amazing in so many ways, I can't begin to tell you how much entertainment it has brought me. Thank you for sharing it. It's hard to select a favorite part, because it's all great, but I am partial to the bit about how no broad is as good looking has this dude's hands. Fucking poetry.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK how old you are but I'm going to point something out that is WELL known. When Bart sat Rose down in his office he showed him (literally) a STACK of papers/evidence/proof of what Rose had actually done. Rose had a choice, accept the ban or this becomes public. You and I don't know 1% of what this scumbag did and that is why he has been banned from the game.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
central massachusetts native connie mack,. NLHOF mangager, was way ahead of his time:

The original idea of the DH is said to date back to 1906, when Philadelphia A's manager Connie Mack proposed the rule because he felt pitchers were not strong enough hitters to carry their weight in the game.

The rumors were that he grew weary of watching Eddie Plank and Charles Bender flail at pitches when at bat.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It reminds me of my days back when I used to film commercials with hand models. There was a guy, Ray McKegney who had the perfect milky white hands and he could have lived a life of luxury and splendor, if he could only protect and respect his hands. He could have had any woman in the world, but none could match the beauty of his own hand. Sadly, he was not master of his domain. The muscles became so atrophied that his hand was locked in a deformed position, almost like a claw.

I could not shake the feeling that this was just too damn good to be true, so I googled Ray McKegney. It's a Seinfeld reference.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people in this thread have never done anything wrong in their life, apparently.