• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heyman: Rob Manfred Will ‘Seriously Consider’ Reinstating Pete Rose

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He broke the one rule in baseball that every single player knows he can't break. He got caught and lied about it for years, even after accepting his lifetime ban. Fuck Pete Rose. They can induct his urn after he's dead.
I am actually becoming more and more of the opinion that he doesnt deserve enshrinement, even after he dies.

Jackson never got in, why should Rose? You commit THAT sin, no Hall for you!!

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually becoming more and more of the opinion that he doesnt deserve enshrinement, even after he dies.

Jackson never got in, why should Rose? You commit THAT sin, no Hall for you!!

Rule 21(d) is pretty clear:

".....Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

It doesn't say until death do us part. It says permanently ineligible.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha...spin it, guys.

sheeeesh.

Pete will be in long before barroid.............Loooooooong before (If Bonds actually ever does)

That's up to the voters. I do think that comparing breaking the one rule everyone knew couldn't be broken and breaking the one rule that half the league was breaking with the winking acceptance of the league is a little disingenuous.

Pappy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys all believe all the HOF'ers have not bet on baseball you are all naive. These players have money to burn and just like all of us they like to gamble. Pete Rose was just addicted to gambling to the point he got caught. Is it right? Absolutely not. Is it a disease? I'm no expert, but the professionals say that it is. When Pete Rose played baseball, he played harder and with more determination than any player I ever saw, and I hated him since I am pirate fan. He has suffered enough. He deserves reinstated and put in the Hall where he belongs.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose, Jackson, Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire should all be in the Hall of Fame. Trammel and Whitaker should be there are the longest playing double-play combination ever (along with their baseball skills).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose, Jackson, Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire should all be in the Hall of Fame. Trammel and Whitaker should be there are the longest playing double-play combination ever (along with their baseball skills).
Bonds and Clemens - 100%

McGwire and Sosa - They both had pretty AMAZING OPS+ numbers throughout their careers, but there are a lot of ELITE individuals from the time period that make their numbers hard to separate from others. Sosa has the added stink of the corked bat (which I think is the straw that will ultimately break the back of his chances) and McGwire has the 1B bar to get over.

Rose and Jackson - I used to be in the camp that they belong upon death, but I am more on the fence about that now.

Trammel - He has always had "my vote"

Whitaker - Hall of Very Good. Not Hall of Fame.

If you are proposing enshrine them TOGETHER (like a tag team), that would be interesting, but that doesn't exist in the BB HOF, so no.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds and Clemens - 100%

McGwire and Sosa - They both had pretty AMAZING OPS+ numbers throughout their careers, but there are a lot of ELITE individuals from the time period that make their numbers hard to separate from others. Sosa has the added stink of the corked bat (which I think is the straw that will ultimately break the back of his chances) and McGwire has the 1B bar to get over.

Rose and Jackson - I used to be in the camp that they belong upon death, but I am more on the fence about that now.

Trammel - He has always had "my vote"

Whitaker - Hall of Very Good. Not Hall of Fame.

If you are proposing enshrine them TOGETHER (like a tag team), that would be interesting, but that doesn't exist in the BB HOF, so no.

I think if you consider defense, which is kind of important for middle infielders, Whitaker is probably comparable to Roberto Alomar, who is in the hall of fame. Alomar had some better offensive years, but they were during the "Steroid Era", so I guess we're just assuming he was one of the clean guys

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He broke the one rule in baseball that every single player knows he can't break. He got caught and lied about it for years, even after accepting his lifetime ban. Fuck Pete Rose. They can induct his urn after he's dead.

You seem angry, Willlie.

Wanna talk about it?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I didn't know better I'd say you were downright miserable!!!!

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope his urn has "I'M SORRY I BET ON BASEBALL - PETE ROSE" engraved on it.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys all believe all the HOF'ers have not bet on baseball you are all naive. These players have money to burn and just like all of us they like to gamble. Pete Rose was just addicted to gambling to the point he got caught. Is it right? Absolutely not. Is it a disease? I'm no expert, but the professionals say that it is. When Pete Rose played baseball, he played harder and with more determination than any player I ever saw, and I hated him since I am pirate fan. He has suffered enough. He deserves reinstated and put in the Hall where he belongs.

Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were pretty seriously implicated in a scandal involving betting on a "meaningless" game at the end of the 1919 season (not the subsequent fixed Black Sox series)...a fellow player was feuding with Cobb and was in possession of a VERY incriminating letter from him. The whole matter was being covered up by AL president (and founder) Ban Johnson with the two players just quietly retiring. Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis scored points against his enemy Johnson by exposing the matter and eventually forced him out of office. With things going public, Cobb threatened Landis with the exposure of much bigger scandals and managed to avoid bans for himself and Speaker. Cobb's move to the Philadelphia A's in 1927 was related to this, as was Speaker going to Washington that season (he joined Cobb in Philly the year after that).

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was because you dashed full speed to first base when you could have just strolled.

Not even David Ortiz has ever styled his way around the bases as slowly (and gracefully, I might add) as I did.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, "but someone else did it too" is not a valid defense.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even David Ortiz has ever styled his way around the bases as slowly (and gracefully, I might add) as I did.

Damn Rex, you probably missed some good TV shows spending so much time on that chick!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn Rex, you probably missed some good TV shows spending so much time on that chick!

I don't watch TV shows and with no Bruins game on I had some free time.