• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heyman: Rob Manfred Will ‘Seriously Consider’ Reinstating Pete Rose

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyman: Rob Manfred Will Seriously Consider Reinstating Pete Rose CBS Boston

Sports Hub Shows
Heyman: Rob Manfred Will ‘Seriously Consider’ Reinstating Pete Rose
Zolak & BertrandMarch 17, 2015 1:14 PM
Share on emailView Comments
manfred_rose.jpg

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred (L) and baseball’s all time hits leader Pete Rose. (Getty Images)

BOSTON (CBS) - CBS Sports Major League Baseball insider Jon Heyman made his weekly appearance on98.5 The Sports Hub’s Zolak & Bertrand show Tuesday afternoon.

One of the major topics surrounding the sport at the moment is baseball’s all time hits leader Pete Rose, and the possibility of being reinstated under new commissioner Rob Manfred.

Rose gambled on games while managing the Cincinnati Reds in the 1980s, and after an investigation into his misdeeds found the charges to be accurate, Rose was suspended from baseball in August of 1989. Rose applied for reinstatement in 1992, and has campaigned for his inclusion ever since only to be denied.

But Bud Selig is retired now, and many believe Rob Manfred will lift the banishment more than 25 years later.

“I think [Rose’s] chances with Selig were zero, as we know now. Selig was very close with [former commissioner] Bart Giamatti and there were times when I thought Bud might consider it, but he never did,” Heyman said of Rose’s reinstatement.

“I do think Manfred is going to seriously consider this. He hasn’t signaled that he’s going to let him back, but there’s a lot of sympathy for Pete Rose around the game. I’m not sure that’s going to be the determining factor, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he let him back in.”

Should Pete Rose Be In The Baseball Hall Of Fame?
Yes. What he did was wrong, but enough time has passed.No. He broke the most important rule in all of sports and deserves a lifetime banYes. However, Rob Manfred's first order of business as commissioner shouldn't be spent on Pete Rose. There are more important things.
VoteView Results

“I personally think that Pete Rose should be in the Baseball Hall Of Fame. I understand the punishment. It was a deserved, long punishment. He broke the rules when he bet on games as the manager of the Reds, but I think 26 years is a long enough punishment by itself.”

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, best hitter in the history of the game, should be in the Hall of Fame.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred isn't afraid to consider anything. Pitch clocks, rules against the shift, Charlie Hustle, shortening the season, .... He's great a leaving conversations open.

The Baseball HOF and MLB aren't one and the same. Rob Manfred doesn't decide Pete Roses fate. Unless the Reds want him to manage again. Then I guess Rob has a say.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred isn't afraid to consider anything. Pitch clocks, rules against the shift, Charlie Hustle, shortening the season, .... He's great a leaving conversations open.

The Baseball HOF and MLB aren't one and the same. Rob Manfred doesn't decide Pete Roses fate. Unless the Reds want him to manage again. Then I guess Rob has a say.
he decides if that ban gets lifted or not tho. if it does, he walks into the hall (my opinion he will be in)

petes problem is he hasnt been the least bit apologetic. he still shows up anywhere he can make a buck.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, nope, and nope.
i'm torn

guy holds the all time hit record we may never see fall.

then again, he bet on the damn games he played or managed in.

thats hard to forgive.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, best hitter in the history of the game, should be in the Hall of Fame.

Oh man that's awesome, I love comedy.

:laugh3:

Wait...you weren't...I mean...were you, like, serious?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm torn

thats hard to forgive.

He does deserve to be in there, as do Bonds and Clemens. But Rose's transgressions were FAR more damaging to the game. IMO he got the right punishment, a LIFETIME ban. When he dies, let him in.

He's getting way more 'fame' than if he had just been put in the Hall of Fame.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does deserve to be in there, as do Bonds and Clemens. But Rose's transgressions were FAR more damaging to the game. IMO he got the right punishment, a LIFETIME ban. When he dies, let him in.

He's getting way more 'fame' than if he had just been put in the Hall of Fame.
see, thats one thing i dont get. shoeless joe got a 'lifetime ban' and hes been dead for how long?

hes still out.

i think "lifetime" means "for all eternity" in baseball.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose is not going in the Hall of Fame as a manager, he is going in as Charlie Hustle, best hitter over almost two decades.

The gambling was supposedly done as a manager, so just leave that manager part off his plaque and get him in the hall of fame before he dies.

Players banned for what they did as players being lifetime seem different to me.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see, thats one thing i dont get. shoeless joe got a 'lifetime ban' and hes been dead for how long?

hes still out.

i think "lifetime" means "for all eternity" in baseball.

Joe Jackson without a doubt should be in the Hall. But he's been dead so long there's no real lobby for it. The Rose thing will be fresh on everyone's mind when he dies.

That said, if they want to keep him out I won't lose sleep. He's a serious warning to players: DO NOT GAMBLE ON BASEBALL

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose is not going in the Hall of Fame as a manager, he is going in as Charlie Hustle, best hitter over almost two decades.

The gambling was supposedly done as a manager, so just leave that manager part off his plaque and get him in the hall of fame before he dies.

Players banned for what they did as players being lifetime seem different to me.

I disagree. Gambling is so threatening to the very foundation of sport, if a player OR manager does it, there needs to be big time punishment.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm torn

thats hard to forgive.
No it isn't.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to forgive.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they ever come up with proof, or even a strong suggestion that he ever bet against a team he was managing or playing for I agree. If not, I think he should be in.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they ever come up with proof, or even a strong suggestion that he ever bet against a team he was managing or playing for I agree. If not, I think he should be in.

Not that simple....even if you just bet on your own team to win, it distorts your incentives. Do you try harder in games you bet on? Do you burn your bullpens in those games? And the real danger is if you are a degenerate gambler like that (and you are if you take that risk) you'll end up owing some not very classy people a lot of money and perhaps then they ask you to do things to pay them back.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he decides if that ban gets lifted or not tho. if it does, he walks into the hall (my opinion he will be in)

petes problem is he hasnt been the least bit apologetic. he still shows up anywhere he can make a buck.

I felt the same way about the lack of apologies but I heard a pretty long interview with him a few weeks back (Mike Francesa's radio show in NY) and he sounded completely different. Sounded like a beaten man who finally realizes he completely fucked up.

As long as he isn't allowed to work for a team I don't care if they lift the ban and he gets in.

Now that I think about it maybe letting him in will stop all the "Pete Rose belongs in the Hall" threads.

LET PETE IN!

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt the same way about the lack of apologies but I heard a pretty long interview with him a few weeks back (Mike Francesa's radio show in NY) and he sounded completely different. Sounded like a beaten man who finally realizes he completely fucked up.

As long as he isn't allowed to work for a team I don't care if they lift the ban and he gets in.

Now that I think about it maybe letting him in will stop all the "Pete Rose belongs in the Hall" threads.

LET PETE IN!

He gave Manfred a ball signed "I'm sorry I bet on baseball - Pete Rose" and let the guy grope his softcore pron model wife in a back room for 15 minutes...Pete is golden to get reinstated.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gave Manfred a ball signed "I'm sorry I bet on baseball - Pete Rose" and let the guy grope his softcore pron model wife in a back room for 15 minutes...Pete is golden to get reinstated.

Sounds like he's paid his dues