• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Rose to place first legal sports bet in Ohio

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When they interview him for this he should just deliver what would have been his hall of fame induction speech and be done with it. Don't even tell people what he's doing, just start thanking Sparky Anderson, his mom, the academy, blah blah blah. It would be legendary

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds about right.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be ironic if his first legal bet is on the Reds.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do bears do it in the woods?

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put him in the Hall, already. Look at his stats in the article. He never bet on CIN to lose. They're never gonna send Trump to jail for treason, insurrection, or tax fraud. Give Pete a break! Betting was rampant in the early days of MLB. Players could accept cash bribes from fans near the playing field. Players who bet are actually in the Hall today.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put him in the Hall, already. Look at his stats in the article. He never bet on CIN to lose. They're never gonna send Trump to jail for treason, insurrection, or tax fraud. Give Pete a break! Betting was rampant in the early days of MLB. Players could accept cash bribes from fans near the playing field. Players who bet are actually in the Hall today.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh No

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put him in, after he's dead. He agreed to a lifetime ban.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put him in, after he's dead. He agreed to a lifetime ban.
The ban was not imposed on him.

HE AGREED TO THE BAN TO STOP THE INVESTIGATION.

Did Giamotti have evidence that he bet against the Reds? Did he show that to Rose and make the proposal to save both Rose AND baseball the embarrassment? Why else would Rose agree to such a harsh penalty?

But let’s just agree, for arguments sake, that he never did bet against the Reds. He didn’t bet on the Reds in every game. Doesn’t that, in itself, equate to him betting against the Reds? Or at least signal to the bookies that the Reds were not likely to win?

“I got a bill on us to win tonight. Dibble is looking great here in the 7th, but I need 2 more outs before I feel OK giving the ball to Charlton. I think I will push Dibbs tonight.”

”Myers would be ideal in this spot, but I want to make sure he is available tomorrow, where I have half a bill riding on us. I will let Myers rest tonight.”

”I would bet on us tonight, but Browning had a rough night at the club last night, so I think I will hold my money back tonight.”

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose got inducted in my hometown's Hall of Fame

I got a signed ball from him when he was there for the honor

so that's something...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ban was not imposed on him.

HE AGREED TO THE BAN TO STOP THE INVESTIGATION.

Did Giamotti have evidence that he bet against the Reds? Did he show that to Rose and make the proposal to save both Rose AND baseball the embarrassment? Why else would Rose agree to such a harsh penalty?

But let’s just agree, for arguments sake, that he never did bet against the Reds. He didn’t bet on the Reds in every game. Doesn’t that, in itself, equate to him betting against the Reds? Or at least signal to the bookies that the Reds were not likely to win?

“I got a bill on us to win tonight. Dibble is looking great here in the 7th, but I need 2 more outs before I feel OK giving the ball to Charlton. I think I will push Dibbs tonight.”

”Myers would be ideal in this spot, but I want to make sure he is available tomorrow, where I have half a bill riding on us. I will let Myers rest tonight.”

”I would bet on us tonight, but Browning had a rough night at the club last night, so I think I will hold my money back tonight.”
Those first three paragraphs are valid but I've always disagreed with the rest of that stuff. Does Rose not betting on his team signal to the bookies that he wasn't that confident? Who cares? Bookies and bettors are always looking for "inside information" or edges. What were they going to do with that anyway? Go to Vegas or some other bookie who didn't know about Rose and try to beat them? Alter their lines on the Reds games depending on which way Rose bet? In the 80's I don't think anyone was worried about the integrity of the lines the bookmakers were putting out.

And the thing about him using a different reliever than he should based on his bet that night instead of taking a macro approach to the season is something that happens all the time. Teams hold players out so they can get another year of "control", elect not to use players so they don't have to pay incentives, etc. Managers have to decide whether to leave a guy in to go for a no-hitter or take him out after 110 pitches to save his arm. If Rose was not managing the way the team wanted him to that was the Reds problem.

But on the "reasons to keep him out while he's alive list", I think at this point is that he is 80 years old and seems to have no filter. Who knows what he would say at an induction ceremony, lol

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose got inducted in my hometown's Hall of Fame

I got a signed ball from him when he was there for the honor

so that's something...

Did he live there when he was on the Phillies? Also, I'll be boycotting that HOF until Bam Bam Bigelow is given the honor he deserves

Last edited:

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time I was in Cooperstown, Pete had a card table set up down the street from the HOF and was signing memorabilia-for a price of course.

He ain't about to let a little thing like a ban stop him from getting that cash.
Like this?
1671928581182.png

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did give Pete a break.

They stopped digging when he signed off on his ban.

There’s one thing he can do to get in, which is die.