• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manfred vows return of baseball: "Nothing is off the table"

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the video in the link too as it expounds more. Manfred still envisions getting as close to 162 as possible. Double-headers with 7 inning games, etc. It also appears that they will absolutely play into November.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred vows baseball will return and says 'nothing is off the table' for 2020 season

Though Manfred made no promises, he said that his hope is teams can restart training camps sometime in May. Presuming a four-week ramp-up period, that would put everyone on schedule to begin the season in early June, or the same timetable suggested by previous reports. Whether or not that proves feasible hinges on the effectiveness of the various containment strategies imposed across the country in recent weeks.

What the season looks like is a tertiary concern, behind when and if it will happen, but Manfred said that "nothing is off the table for us," a comment that indicates baseball is open to radical ideas, including a schedule overhaul that would see teams play a number of doubleheaders in order to fatten the season. The league could also decide to shift all postseason games to a neutral site, likely a domed stadium or one located in a warm-weather state, if the decision is made to extend regular season play into October and postseason play into November.

Manfred even appeared open-minded about Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins' idea, to shorten games to seven innings, saying that while he's always felt baseball games should remain nine innings, he never expressed that sentiment while "thinking about this particular crisis."

The most predictable part of Manfred's interview was his vow that baseball will return and serve as a distraction for the country. "The one thing I know for sure is baseball will be back," he said. "Whenever it's safe to play, we'll be back; our fans will be back; our players will be back; and we will be part of the recovery, the healing in this country, from this particular pandemic."

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see fewer number of games than have more games but only if they're 7 innings long. That's flat out dumb.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top guy for profession says he will make sure profession continues as soon as possible.

More at 11.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I was reading Richie's post - I realized I didn't know the name of the Baseball Commissioner. When did that happen?

Anyway - I can't wait for baseball. I'm psyched about the Sox this year.

One prediction I have is that team who figures out how to control player conditioning by virtual means - will have a big advantage over the competition when play begins.