• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heyman: Rob Manfred Will ‘Seriously Consider’ Reinstating Pete Rose

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent point.

He played the game hard all the time. And I mean he really hustled all the time, not that he had an erection all the time.
Only in close games. Or when the Reds were sitting pretty on the moneyline.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I feel you on that. The part that gets me is when I think about other "crimes" in the sport like the Cardinals "hacking" the Astros, guys swinging baseball bats at people, guys breaking collarbones in fights, intentially trying to bean a hitter in the head, etc...

To me, those are way worse than gambling [on your own team to win]. Gambling - still bad. Not as bad as physically hurting people or cheating for a competitive advantage. That's just how I look at it.

I also think that there should be a time limit on things. Why does gambling [on your own team to win] have to be the baseball equivalent to murder? Lifetime is too much for me.

Now, that's a completely different scenario. I still don't know if that should be worth a lifetime sentence, but I'll say that I'm much more open to the idea.

For the record, Pete Rose is an asshole and I don't feel bad for him. I won't shed a tear if he never gets reinstated or allowed into the hall. I'm just not a big fan of eternal grudges.

I don't disagree with any of that. In this day and age, there are certainly offenses worse than gambling on baseball. But there's a lifetime ban for gamblers, not the other shit. As long as that's the rule, that's what I'm going with.

People make the point "steroids are worse for baseball than gambling" and I wouldn't argue with that, but there's not a "golden rule" about steroids. I wish there was.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with any of that. In this day and age, there are certainly offenses worse than gambling on baseball. But there's a lifetime ban for gamblers, not the other shit. As long as that's the rule, that's what I'm going with.

Doesn't that seem overly stubborn when you read that? (honestly, no offense intended)

People make the point "steroids are worse for baseball than gambling" and I wouldn't argue with that, but there's not a "golden rule" about steroids. I wish there was.
Fair enough. Happy to agree to disagree there.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't that seem overly stubborn when you read that? (honestly, no offense intended)

Could be? Maybe? I don't know. I've been called stubborn before.

I just see it as it's a rule with a very clearly defined penalty, Pete knew it, Pete broke it.

PS - don't worry about offending me. I've only got one feeling and it's typically numbed to all hell with scotch.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're glad there's not a golden rule about steroids?
As I said earlier, I am not a fan of eternal grudges in general. If you are, that's fine (agree to disagree). I said "fair enough" because if you're going to be in favor of a lifetime ban for one thing, then I appreciate that you're holding a similar standard for other offenses. I think the time should fit the crime. That's always going to be relative and probably impossible to define in such a way that everyone thinks is fair. Lifetime is just so extreme.

On PEDs in particular, I'm okay with the suspension system they have going right now. Personally, they don't bother me that much. I'm in the camp that doesn't think steroids turn average guys into immortals. They clearly work, but it just seems like the most they do is extend careers and shorten recovery times. Is that bad? Is that cheating? Yeah, sure. It wasn't actually against MLB rules for the majority of the "Steroid Era" but then it was illegal in the country in general so I can see why that shouldn't grant a pardon to the offenders.

As with all drug offenses in sports, I don't think they're testing for cheaters or for the well-being of players with drug abuse problems. I think they're testing for stupidity. If you're stupid enough to get caught, that's what you're getting punished for. I don't think any of the "Big 4" NCAA/NFL/NBA/MLB give a shit if you smoke weed and take steroids. They just care if you're stupid enough to make the brand look bad and cost them money.