• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heyman: Rob Manfred Will ‘Seriously Consider’ Reinstating Pete Rose

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:stephena: thinks it's an outrage!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lifetime ban is overly harsh. He did the crime. He did the time. Bury the hatchet and let the degenerate get some props for the only positive thing he's ever done in his life (hit baseballs).

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred should tell him that he's going to reinstate him and then just never do it.

If Pete complains, he should just say: "Doesn't it suck when someone repeatedly lies to you?"

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lifetime ban is overly harsh. He did the crime. He did the time. Bury the hatchet and let the degenerate get some props for the only positive thing he's ever done in his life (hit baseballs).

Considering he initially lied about betting for nearly 20 years and it information recently came to light claiming he bet on his team while playing (another thing he potentially lied about), it's hard for me at least to say he did his time, considering it's certainly possible he's still lying about other things.

I mean, if he's reinstated then it's found later on that he bet against his team, that's not going to look good on Manfred.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering he initially lied about betting for nearly 20 years and it information recently came to light claiming he bet on his team while playing (another thing he potentially lied about), it's hard for me at least to say he did his time, considering it's certainly possible he's still lying about other things.

Exactly.

Plus, there's a "golden rule" in baseball - if you bet on baseball, you're out for life. Pete knew the rule, he broke it, and now he pisses and whines about the punishment. Fuck that pussy.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I don't all that he did, but I do know that he confessed to betting on baseball, which is enough for a lifetime ban as per the "golden rule."

Personally, I think he bet on his team to lose and threw games.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't all that he did, but I do know that he confessed to betting on baseball, which is enough for a lifetime ban as per the "golden rule."

And Dowd did say that there were tips/leads he was working on verifying that claimed Rose bet against his team, but had to wrap up the investigation since Rose agreed to be banned to stop it.
ESPN.com: MLB - Dowd: Rose 'probably' bet against Reds while manager

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I was little, I've always had a strong sense that if you know something is against the rules, and there's a consequence, don't be surprised if you get caught and have to pay the consequence.

That's not to say that I never did anything wrong, but when I was caught, I'd say, "yep, you got me. now what's the punishment?" Then I'd "do my time" and not bitch about it.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully, when I was little, there were no hard and fast rules about absconding with the lingerie section of the JC Penny's catalogue.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. I feel you on that. The part that gets me is when I think about other "crimes" in the sport like the Cardinals "hacking" the Astros, guys swinging baseball bats at people, guys breaking collarbones in fights, intentially trying to bean a hitter in the head, etc...

To me, those are way worse than gambling [on your own team to win]. Gambling - still bad. Not as bad as physically hurting people or cheating for a competitive advantage. That's just how I look at it.

I also think that there should be a time limit on things. Why does gambling [on your own team to win] have to be the baseball equivalent to murder? Lifetime is too much for me.

Now, that's a completely different scenario. I still don't know if that should be worth a lifetime sentence, but I'll say that I'm much more open to the idea.

For the record, Pete Rose is an asshole and I don't feel bad for him. I won't shed a tear if he never gets reinstated or allowed into the hall. I'm just not a big fan of eternal grudges.