• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

here is alot of my reasoning right here

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas Boswell (Washington Post) answered a question about the idiotic Griffin/Cousins “controversy” in his weekly chat. I endorse this answer in its entirety.
I just shake my head at this nonsense.
Twenty months ago, this guy was even money to be the greatest Skins player in 50 years. He really did have an historic season, as a recent Fancy Stats post of ours pointed out.
Just chill. (Yes, I know this is impossible for DC.) This year — the ENTIRE YEAR, all 16 games, no matter what — are about RGIII learning to play QB in the NFL with more emphasis (but not exclusive emphasis) on pocket-passing and defense reading.
Then all of NEXT YEAR will be about…The Same Thing.
Get over the hating, folks.
And Kirk Cousins isn’t close to being the answer. These men have actually played in the NFL. We aren’t projecting college players. Cousins has throw 203 passes. His career QB rating is 68.6 (bad). Last year it was 58.4. His AverageNetYards/Attempt — the “OPS of the NFL — is 4.60. (That includes the influence of sacks as well as all the other stuff.)
RGIII’s “awful” ’13 was better than Cousins career numbers: 60.1% completions, 16-12 TD-to-INT ratio (Cousins is 8-10 career), and a 82.2 QB rating with a (poor) 5.48 ANY/A.
Sorry to introduce facts into the discussion.
The Skins offense wasn’t the main reason they were 3-13 last year. It was the worst-in-50-years defense and the worst-in-the-history-of-mankind special teams. The offense was mediocre. Griffin, with a coach who hated him, was an average NFL QB.
This is a case of The Critics Have No Clothes. Griffin will eventually be a good or very good NFL QB. Great? Don’t know. Maybe not. That may bed the true ‘bad news.” But he will be the starting QB in Washington in 2020 (if he can stand upright). QB’s who have great seasons as good as ’12 and bad seasons as decent as ’13 Never Go Away in the NFL.
Look at the history of the NFL and every QB who ever had even one wonderful year. (I have.) They are still starting in their 30′s and usually into their mid-30′s. How many have injuries that essentially end their careers before 30? Almost none.
Just relax and hope that Griffin improves this year as the Skins go 5-11 or 6-10. And then that he improves again next year as the Skins get a little better.
This is called Rebuilding. Of course, the Skins will deny that such a thing could ever happen to them. (The fact that they deny they are rebuilding is one reason that they can never actually DO it.) Be glad that their “project” quarterback is WORTH the trouble of being a project.
Cousins may be a nice backup. Good for him. Maybe he will develop into a decent NFL starter somewhere someday. It’s even conceivable that he will be Trent Green someday — a heck of an accomplishment. But more likely Gus Frerotte.
Just for the sake of realism, go through the Skins schedule. Assume that they are 12 touchdowns better than last year. That’s more than 80 points better over 16 games. Then use the ’13 strength-of-teams metric at Pro Football Reference is see what the “lines” on every game would be this year. Add 5 points for the Skins to each of their ’14 games. What would their record be?
4-12.
Okay, now assume they are seven points a game better this year — or 112 points for a season — an heroic assumption.
Then they are 8-8.
This is hopelessly broad brush. But at least it’s sanity-based.
If you like the Skins, don’t say destructive things about them like “no reason they can’t win 10 games this year.”
In January I wrote a column about this after Gruden was hired. Quoting myself (ugh):
“What are the chances that, two years from now, Snyder will stare at a Spurrier- or Zorn-like record and have to decide whether to stand fast? The facts, please. All NFL teams that ever had Washington’s record last season — 3-13 — averaged a 13-19 record over the next two years. A lot like the 12-20 two-year records of Spurrier and Zorn and the 20-44 four-year record of Shanahan.
There were cheerful exceptions. Indy once flipped from 3-13 to 23-9 behind Peyton Manning. Allen and Gruden could be a magical combination. But in NFL history only one team in six that goes 3-13 has a winning record the next couple of years. All hands, lash to the mast.”
I actually think they have looked better in the exhibition season — on defense, special teams and general organization and structure — than I expected. I’m optimistic. Which means 5-6-or-7 wins. If a lot goes right. With the wrong injuries…don’t even think about it.
Boz is right. Please snap out of it, people.

this is why i see 6 -10 . history says that is where we will be . we are rebuilding whether you like it or not and the foolishness of the KC debate :suds:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is total bullshit.

RG3 and KC have been in the league the same amount of time. RG3 has had the world handed to him and has been in the best circumstances. KC has been put in when the season is over (people are not playing hard) and injuries have struck the team.

How is it RG3 gets a pass and is learning to play the game in year 3 and will be learning in year 4 too but KC doesn't get that same benefit?

RG3 is a physically gifted freak but that doesn't make him a great QB. If we don't see growth in him...we should not extend him.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is total bullshit.

RG3 and KC have been in the league the same amount of time. RG3 has had the world handed to him and has been in the best circumstances. KC has been put in when the season is over (people are not playing hard) and injuries have struck the team.

How is it RG3 gets a pass and is learning to play the game in year 3 and will be learning in year 4 too but KC doesn't get that same benefit?

RG3 is a physically gifted freak but that doesn't make him a great QB. If we don't see growth in him...we should not extend him.

While I understand what you are saying, Robert gets more latitude because of what we have invested in him. I also wouldn't say that the situation Robert was in last year was the best of circumstances, between the injury and the circus this team experienced.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was hoping you would get past the Rg3 /KC part and go to why we will finish 6-10 . that part has been debated forever

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was hoping you would get past the Rg3 /KC part and go to why we will finish 6-10 . that part has been debated forever

That's simple. If we finish 6-10, it is because RG3 has either been injured or has played poorly. This offense has the potential to be a top 10. It all hinges on Robert's ability to execute.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's simple. If we finish 6-10, it is because RG3 has either been injured or has played poorly. This offense has the potential to be a top 10. It all hinges on Robert's ability to execute.

history says the skins wont have a winning record

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
history says the skins wont have a winning record

Don't disagree. The real question is which year was a fluke, 2012 or 2013? I still maintain that with the talent we have on this team, we SHOULD be better than 6-10, but it all depends on Robert's play.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree. The real question is which year was a fluke, 2012 or 2013? I still maintain that with the talent we have on this team, we SHOULD be better than 6-10, but it all depends on Robert's play.

Oline play is gonna be a pretty key factor.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. There are no excuses for RG3. Either he can play with two WRs that combined for over 2500 yards last season or he can't. Either he can play with one of the fastest teams in the NFL...or he can't.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all know kc isnt that good, thats why we were all hoping to trade him for a second or third round pick. he could be the next matt flynn/schaub.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. There are no excuses for RG3. Either he can play with two WRs that combined for over 2500 yards last season or he can't. Either he can play with one of the fastest teams in the NFL...or he can't.

He can certainly help his OL out by making quicker decisions, but lets not pretend this bunch is the 91 Hogs. Terrible OL play can hurt any QB's performance. But the opposite is still true, a good QB can help make a weaker OL look better by not holding the ball forever.

No excuses, but if RGIII fails this year, it will either be on him or on his OL or some nebulous combination of both, but clearly NOT on his skill position players. THey are set.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can certainly help his OL out by making quicker decisions, but lets not pretend this bunch is the 91 Hogs. Terrible OL play can hurt any QB's performance. But the opposite is still true, a good QB can help make a weaker OL look better by not holding the ball forever.

No excuses, but if RGIII fails this year, it will either be on him or on his OL or some nebulous combination of both, but clearly NOT on his skill position players. THey are set.

:agree:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

these guys dont want to hear that kick save . Rg3 is the cause of all the problems on the roster and our record period . never mind that 21 players from last seasons wonder team are gone

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these guys dont want to hear that kick save . Rg3 is the cause of all the problems on the roster and our record period . never mind that 21 players from last seasons wonder team are gone

Redskins fans have to have short memories I suppose.

Fact is I don't know if we'll see the 2012 version or the 2013 version of RGIII, likely something in between. It still boils down to how Gruden uses him in the real games. We generally know what he's good at and what he's not so good at. Preseason is for training, regular season games are for winning.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So the 21 REAL problems from last year are gone. 23 if you count the coaches. So as that has been fixed, and RG3 was in no way a part of the problem... we should win the Division right?? No wait, we are still a 6-10 team and it still wont have anything to do with the QB. Got it.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is total bullshit.

When you said, "RG3 has had the world handed to him and has been in the best circumstances", then I knew you were clueless. My how soon we forget the circumstances that led to last season. Guys just don't play hard because they are out of the playoffs. They get paid millions to perform their best at all times. RG3 was just introduced into this style of system for the first time so yes, he is learning. No need to give Cousins a pass, he clearly is not very good or he would be the starter. He failed last year also. The team failed, the staff failed, the front office failed.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the 21 REAL problems from last year are gone. 23 if you count the coaches. So as that has been fixed, and RG3 was in no way a part of the problem... we should win the Division right?? No wait, we are still a 6-10 team and it still wont have anything to do with the QB. Got it.

come on shark , geez , Rg3 is a part of the issue . he isnt the sole issue

and again history states that usually 3-13 teams dont have winning records the next season . new offense , 50% turnover in personnel . new HC ST coaches , and a new haslett sketchy o/line play and a qb struggling with a new way to play the game all round out to abouy a 6-10 team or double the wins of last season

he still has 3 more years to get his 1st playoff win like peyton

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and again history states that usually 3-13 teams dont have winning records the next season . new offense , 50% turnover in personnel . new HC ST coaches , and a new haslett sketchy o/line play and a qb struggling with a new way to play the game all round out to abouy a 6-10 team or double the wins of last season

You are hedging your bets. We committed to this guy like he was a franchise QB from the moment we drafted him. We have given him more fire power than ANY QB in Redskins history. You have done totally out of your way to say well it wasnt his fault, or at most he had a little bit of responsibility for the dysfunction between him and the coaches of last year.

Heres my take.. we will have a top 15, borderline top ten defense, middle of the pack special teams. So if we are a 6-10 team... next off seasons top story line will be talk of the redskins making the worst draft trade ever.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The difference between RG3s situation and Peyton's is Peyton had virtually no talent around him for those first few years. This year, RG3 has one of the best running games in the NFL. He has arguably the best WR corps in the NFL. He has a TE that most are predicting greatness for. The only thing that is the unknown from keeping this offense being a top 10 offense this year will be...........the QB play. If he plays like we all (except Shark) expect him to do, we will win more games than we lose. I just don't see how you can analyze it any other way. Do I expect him to make mistakes? Of course. As long as they are mistakes from inexperience and he learns from them, they can be managed via play calling. I just hope they aren't the same mistakes he continually has made last year and into this preseason. Hanging onto the ball, running amok with no attempt to protect himself, and throwing the ball off his back foot under pressure. He has been playing football long enough to know not to do these things, these errors have nothing to do with scheme. These errors are one of egotism where he tries to do more than he should and thinks he has to make a big play every play. He needs to manage the offense like a Russell Wilson. Get the ball into the playmaker's hands and let them go. Pick you spots to run then get out of bounds or slide. He does this and we win the Division.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are hedging your bets. We committed to this guy like he was a franchise QB from the moment we drafted him. We have given him more fire power than ANY QB in Redskins history. You have done totally out of your way to say well it wasnt his fault, or at most he had a little bit of responsibility for the dysfunction between him and the coaches of last year.

Heres my take.. we will have a top 15, borderline top ten defense, middle of the pack special teams. So if we are a 6-10 team... next off seasons top story line will be talk of the redskins making the worst draft trade ever.

i think sonny and the 67 skins have a say in history taylor , mitchell and smith 1 2 and 4 in rec s unmatched in history

i have gone out of my way to say it wasnt ALL his fault and that some of you people need to stop with CSI theories and let the guy develop