• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have we not learned our lesson? Pump brakes on Mahomes

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with pumping the brakes on Mahomes...there's no way he's going to sustain this pace he's on....but this kid is a little different from the previous QBs that had great seasons.

IMO, and I know this is a load of praise on this kid, but right now doesn't he project as the next Aaron Rogers? Certainly in that mold.

Strong arm, mobile but not a runner, aggressive in tight windows, but has the touch pass as well.

Coupled with a good OFC mind like Andy Reid, this kid has a pretty good chance to beat the odds on the soph slump...AFTER the tape on him has been broken down.
Agree, It's only a few games so he could be Browning Nagle or Gary Hogeboom and I was not on the Mahomes bandwagon before the year but after watching him, he is just a step above all of these other young QBs. Yeah, he's got weapons, but so far (and yes it's only a few games) he is clearly making those weapons better. He looks like the real deal

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a poster on your board proclaiming he is a HOF QB, in like September of his rookie season. I think he is great and will remain great by the way, I was just jerking your chain. But to claim there was not hype from Philly Fan is nonsense.

Never said there was not any hype from Philly fans. I was one of the people that hyped him and was very high on him. I just never labled him as the second coming.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs seemed pretty paranoid about the Saints and Cardinals specifically.

Texans I know had him as their QB1 as well. They traded up pretty much immediately for Watson 2 picks later. Browns did as well supposedly; once he was gone, they made a deal with the Texans to trade down.

One of the picks the Chiefs traded up for ended up being Tre’Davius White who is a very nice CB.
Cards wanted him and would have drafted him if he was there. I was pissed when they got ninja'd

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said there was not any hype from Philly fans. I was one of the people that hyped him and was very high on him. I just never labled him as the second coming.

You have every reason to hype Wentz, I see him as special. But as we all know special players can turn out to be less than special some times, and then we have a serious knee injury to consider. Still as I said I like your chances, probably more than with Mahomes.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have every reason to hype Wentz, I see him as special. But as we all know special players can turn out to be less than special some times, and then we have a serious knee injury to consider. Still as I said I like your chances, probably more than with Mahomes.

I agree. What some Cowboys fans seem to forget is that I hyped Dak as well. They just got all bent out of shape when I did think he was the best of the new crop of QB's and that I thought Wentz was better and a better long term prospect. I recall a number of posts where I though he (Dak) was going to be a stud and that he and Wentz would be battling for many years to come.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we not learned our lessons people about hyping up QB's as elite after their first season?

This is probably more directed at the media and not Chiefs fans because to be honest I can't seem to recall a Chiefs fans being obnoxious about Mahomes at all.

I watched the Chiefs game Monday night and I have to say that I am very impressed with what I saw from Mahomes. If he contined playing like this he is going to be an HOF QB and that is not even debatable.........BUT.......

We have been here before. RGIII.....Dak......Jimmy G.....but to Jimmy G's defense he suffered an injury and the jury will still be out on him.

It seems like ever season we have this dynamic rookie (or first year starting) QB that is taking the league by storm. Everyone is hyping them up and the a couple years later we are wondering what the fuck happened to them.

Enjoy the ride Chiefs fans. This kid has been amazing. I am beginning to wonder if he does not have the strongest arm in the NFL. I am really rooting for this kid though but I am going to pause and wait and see what happens when there is plenty of film.
Listening to the announcers just about wet their panties over the guy was kinda nauseating!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, It's only a few games so he could be Browning Nagle or Gary Hogeboom and I was not on the Mahomes bandwagon before the year but after watching him, he is just a step above all of these other young QBs. Yeah, he's got weapons, but so far (and yes it's only a few games) he is clearly making those weapons better. He looks like the real deal

Yep...my brother-n-law is a big TT Alum so I'd heard about the kid and even seen him play a few of his games in college so I knew about the arm, and him not being the typical "Texas Tech system QB". Obviously what he's doing now even he probably didn't expect.

But like most are saying, once the league has some tape on him things will be more challenging and that's when you'll see what he's really made of.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. What some Cowboys fans seem to forget is that I hyped Dak as well. They just got all bent out of shape when I did think he was the best of the new crop of QB's and that I thought Wentz was better and a better long term prospect. I recall a number of posts where I though he (Dak) was going to be a stud and that he and Wentz would be battling for many years to come.

Oh I was telling Boys fans the same thing about Dak. His first year he was in a really good situation.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been incredibly easy for Andy Reid to find QBs better than that cowardly piece of shit donovan mcnabb everywhere he turns. Great coach.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been incredibly easy for Andy Reid to find QBs better than that cowardly piece of shit donovan mcnabb everywhere he turns. Great coach.

As much of a fan I am of Andy Reid. He is not known for drafting great QB's. He is a great coach but he gets QB picks wrong than right.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only definitive thing we can say at this point about a Mahomes/Wentz comparison and who is better is the following:

Mahomes: 2 good knees
Wentz: 1 good knee

Mahomes: 0 SB Rings
Wentz: 1 SB Ring (Thanks Nick)

Conclusion: undecided at this point

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only definitive thing we can say at this point about a Mahomes/Wentz comparison and who is better is the following:

Mahomes: 2 good knees
Wentz: 1 good knee

Mahomes: 0 SB Rings
Wentz: 1 SB Ring (Thanks Nick)

Conclusion: undecided at this point
They're both good.

Now koom-ba-ya, everyone.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only seen the 1 game the other night, but I'm down with the hype. Idk how you "figure out" a guy with that arm and the sort of poise under pressure he displayed... especially given the weapons he has currently. He really looks special.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes is playing legitimately well, but he's obviously not throwing 0 INT's either and I am guessing he won't have a career TD% at 10 or so.

I have a hard time figuring out where the expectation is at the same time for him. He has almost zero physical limitations outside of elite mobility and his offense is pretty close to loaded at every position when healthy. I can't really find a good precedent for that. Only first year starter that really compares is Marino, and the fact I typed Marino, with a straight face, should kind of illustrate just how wacky this start has been for Mahomes.

I am pretty happy. Would be a fool to make any sweeping dispositive claims for his career, but it looks very promising for this season and the near-term.

With the AFCW looking kinda shaky and Rivers old, it sets up nicely. Can't count any chickens just yet- but the sun couldn't be brighter.
glad ur not a bears fan

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who was the poster who hyped him as a HOF in year 1