• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have we not learned our lesson? Pump brakes on Mahomes

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, that's Bull Shit. Wentz was much more hyped coming into year 1 than Dak being a top 2 pick versus a 4th rounder and much, much more hyped after his break through year last year than anyone else on your list after their break through year. Yes his was year 2, but Mahomes is in year 2 and Jimmy G was in like year 4 and had started about 4 games.

Right now Mahomes looks A LOT better than all of them. But, of course time will tell.

That is load of crap. Yeah Wentz was hyped because he was the #2 pick but I as with most people don't have lofty expectations for rookie QB's to come in and light it up and if you are suggesting that people were saying that Wentz was going to come in and take the NFL by storm and light it up I call bullshit. Wentz did not even enter training camp as the starting QB. He was injured in the pre-season anyway with bruised ribs I believe and only became the starter after the Vikes needed a QB so bad the Eagles traded Bradford who was the clear starter going into the season until then.

In his defense Dak was not hyped early either. In fact after the Romo injury the consensus across the board was that the Cowboys season was over. Than Zeke happened and Dak got all the credit. Next thing we know the Dak hype train is at full speed and the brakes are out. He was an MVP candidate and getting all the hype in the world. He was a top 5 QB and he was going to take the NFL by storm. They hype about Dak was insane and most Cowboys fans lost their minds on how good they claimed he was. I have said many times that all the accolades the Dak got belonged to Zeke.....but like I said......Hype train.....

Thread derailed.....I said all I will say about Dak and Wentz in this thread. There is already a thread about Wentz that has gone overboard. We can move this disucssion there if necessary.

Back to the original thread.....

Mahomes is the next on the hype train....I actually hope he lives up to it. I have heard mention of his height being a problem but Brees kind of debunks that though to be honest.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is load of crap. Yeah Wentz was hyped because he was the #2 pick but I as with most people don't have lofty expectations for rookie QB's to come in and light it up and if you are suggesting that people were saying that Wentz was going to come in and take the NFL by storm and light it up I call bullshit. Wentz did not even enter training camp as the starting QB. He was injured in the pre-season and only became the starter after the Vikes needed a QB so bad the Eagles traded Bradford who was the clear starter going into the season until then.

In his defense Dak was not hyped early either. In fact after the Romo injury the consensus across the board was that the Cowboys season was over. Than Zeke happened and Dak got all the credit. Next thing we know the Dak hype train is at full speed and the brakes are out. He was an MVP candidate and getting all the hype in the world. He was a top 5 QB and he was going to take the NFL by storm. They hype about Dak was insane and most Cowboys fans lost their minds on how good they claimed he was. I have said many times that all the accolades the Dak got belonged to Zeke.....but like I said......Hype train.....

Thread derailed.....I said all I will say about Dak and Wentz in this thread. There is already a thread about Wentz that has gone overboard. We can move this disucssion there if necessary.

Mahomes is the next on the hype train....I actually hope he lives up to it. I have heard mention of his height being a problem but Brees kind of debunks that though to be honest.

Mahomes is 6'3". Not one of the big 6'5" QB's but I don't think height will be an issue for him. He's too busy making plays and throwing TDs to worry about it.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes is being tough buy the best QB Coach in the league in KC's head Coach .

Like OP states time will tell

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes is 6'3". Not one of the big 6'5" QB's but I don't think height will be an issue for him. He's too busy making plays and throwing TDs to worry about it.

Meh....6'3" I think is tall enough like you said. I think I heard the height thing mentioned during the game but only briefly. I think Brees is only 6' tall.....(going to double check)

edit: yup....only 6' tall (Brees)

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes is being tough buy the best QB Coach in the league in KC's head Coach .

Like OP states time will tell

Andy Reid is still one of my favorite coaches. I don't know if he will ever get over the hump but if there is a coach that deserves a SB it is him.

IIRC didn't he get bashed for trading up to get Mahomes? I think I had a WTF reaction myself.....if so he is probably laughing at all of us....LOL

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd just got a chubby watching Mahomes throw “80 yards” during warmups in Denver.

Said Aaron Rodgers would never be able to do that. Dear god.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd just got a chubby watching Mahomes throw “80 yards” during warmups in Denver.

Said Aaron Rodgers would never be able to do that. Dear god.

That is really funny....but to be honest who needs a QB throw the ball 80 yards in the air except for a hail mary?.....it is nice but I doubt a QB will have enough time to wait for someone get open 80 yards down the field....LOL

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is really funny....but to be honest who needs a QB throw the ball 80 yards in the air except for a hail mary?.....it is nice but I doubt a QB will have enough time to wait for someone get open 80 yards down the field....LOL
It’s just funny he chose the “Hail Mary King” to make the comparison. Yeah Rodgers has only thrown like 4 Hail Marys in recent memory but there’s no way he can throw 80 yards during warmups in the thin air of Denver.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Reid is still one of my favorite coaches. I don't know if he will ever get over the hump but if there is a coach that deserves a SB it is him.

IIRC didn't he get bashed for trading up to get Mahomes? I think I had a WTF reaction myself.....if so he is probably laughing at all of us....LOL

He just understands what works with the said QB best against the D's in the NFL .

Reed is IMO the best in the league I was mad he end up in that shit hole:dhd:

I would be happy for him if he ever wins a SB but being a Broncos fan I hope leaves and wins it else were .

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is load of crap. Yeah Wentz was hyped because he was the #2 pick but I as with most people don't have lofty expectations for rookie QB's to come in and light it up and if you are suggesting that people were saying that Wentz was going to come in and take the NFL by storm and light it up I call bullshit. Wentz did not even enter training camp as the starting QB. He was injured in the pre-season anyway with bruised ribs I believe and only became the starter after the Vikes needed a QB so bad the Eagles traded Bradford who was the clear starter going into the season until then.

Still way off. Who cares what was expected just year 1? That's meaningless. Neither was supposed to even be starting. If you don't remember the hype for Wentz's (#2 pick plus a shitload of draft picks to trade up for him) career to be miles higher than Daks going into year 1 you are lying or in a coma. Secondly the hype for Wentz during his good year was also significantly higher than the hype for Dak during his. In retrospect it looks very likely that Dak's year 1 and Wentz's year 2 will go down as each of theirs best ever...which is exactly what the thread seemed to be about from the readers perspective.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reason KC won was Coaching .

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes not elvis grbac

so they have that

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always with a QB that has a great first year, let's see you do it a 2nd when everyone has footage on you.

That said, the odds are fairly stacked for Mahomes since he has all the physical tools and Reid as his head coach who is VERY offensively minded and QB savvy. Having Kelce and Hill helps too.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

depends on what those picks he traded away to move become i guess.....who else was going to take mahomes had they stayed put?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on what those picks he traded away to move become i guess.....who else was going to take mahomes had they stayed put?
The Chiefs seemed pretty paranoid about the Saints and Cardinals specifically.

Texans I know had him as their QB1 as well. They traded up pretty much immediately for Watson 2 picks later. Browns did as well supposedly; once he was gone, they made a deal with the Texans to trade down.

One of the picks the Chiefs traded up for ended up being Tre’Davius White who is a very nice CB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills actually could’ve made out ok had they picked Rosen, imo.

Insert Josh Allen hate taek here

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thread translation: "Stop saying Mahomes is better than Wentz!"

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we not learned our lessons people about hyping up QB's as elite after their first season?

This is probably more directed at the media and not Chiefs fans because to be honest I can't seem to recall a Chiefs fans being obnoxious about Mahomes at all.

I watched the Chiefs game Monday night and I have to say that I am very impressed with what I saw from Mahomes. If he contined playing like this he is going to be an HOF QB and that is not even debatable.........BUT.......

We have been here before. RGIII.....Dak......Jimmy G.....but to Jimmy G's defense he suffered an injury and the jury will still be out on him.

It seems like ever season we have this dynamic rookie (or first year starting) QB that is taking the league by storm. Everyone is hyping them up and the a couple years later we are wondering what the fuck happened to them.

Enjoy the ride Chiefs fans. This kid has been amazing. I am beginning to wonder if he does not have the strongest arm in the NFL. I am really rooting for this kid though but I am going to pause and wait and see what happens when there is plenty of film.

While I agree with pumping the brakes on Mahomes...there's no way he's going to sustain this pace he's on....but this kid is a little different from the previous QBs that had great seasons.

IMO, and I know this is a load of praise on this kid, but right now doesn't he project as the next Aaron Rogers? Certainly in that mold.

Strong arm, mobile but not a runner, aggressive in tight windows, but has the touch pass as well.

Coupled with a good OFC mind like Andy Reid, this kid has a pretty good chance to beat the odds on the soph slump...AFTER the tape on him has been broken down.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz was not hyped as the second coming like Dak was. Many of us myself included said that Wentz was better than Dak and that Dak was a product of his supporting cast and with Zeke he would not perform. All that has been proven. The QB's I mentioned (except Jimmy G as he got hurt) regressed and did not get better unlike Wentz.

Now that the trigger is now in place watch this thread go in a completely different direction than intended. :L

I remember a poster on your board proclaiming he is a HOF QB, in like September of his rookie season. I think he is great and will remain great by the way, I was just jerking your chain. But to claim there was not hype from Philly Fan is nonsense.