• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Half US Senate Pressuring NFL to Change Redskins Name, Comparing Situation to Donald Sterling

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The names of those teams (Chiefs, Indians, Blackhawks) is not a derogatory term towards their race.

Would it be ok if a professional team called themselves "spooks"

I am African American and my grandmother was Cherokee. I do not see those names, or any, offensive. But many in my grandmother's tribe are very offended because of the likeness portrayed with the name. They do not want either.

So to you they may not be derogatory, but to someone else they are.

Just saying...

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're equating Redskin with ****er? GTFO with that nonsense. It's not even in the same realm.

I should be offended because I am African American with Cherokee heritage... But I'm not at all. Liberals sicken me with political correctness because the masses "can't think for themselves, so we need to show them how" attitude.

If it offends you, don't watch. How about that? Just like I don't watch MSNBC. It's an amazing concept...

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am African American and my grandmother was Cherokee. I do not see those names, or any, offensive. But many in my grandmother's tribe are very offended because of the likeness portrayed with the name. They do not want either.

So to you they may not be derogatory, but to someone else they are.

Just saying...

Just curious is the redskin logo considered a negative portrayal by your grand mom since she is actually a Native American? I could easily understand how dressing up in a headdress would be offensive, even in the context of a game.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should be offended because I am African American with Cherokee heritage... But I'm not at all. Liberals sicken me with political correctness because the masses "can't think for themselves, so we need to show them how" attitude.

If it offends you, don't watch. How about that? Just like I don't watch MSNBC. It's an amazing concept...

Agreed.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is such a ridiculous argument. and every year it seems to stick around longer and longer. If some future owner wants to change it, fine, until then, STFU. I'm sure at one point in history, the term Redskin meant something bad. Today??? I have never in my life heard it to refer to anything other than an NFL football team except when this stupid debate comes up. It's what a Redskin is, someone that plays for the Washington Redskins.

In this state it was so bad that they passed a law that only ONE person needed to file a complaint and the process to change any high school name with any association to Indians was started. Most just caved rather than spend money to fight it. Thankfully they just changed that law again. BUt over 30 schools have changed names, with names like the "warriors" and something as simple as "Indians".

Our gov't gave them blankets laced with small pox, yet everyone wants to get pissed off because we call them indians.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the thing, if people actually wanted it changed they could easily get the NFL to change it by not watching Redskins games, not buying merchandise and getting sponsors to pull from them. Instead politicians and groups who will protest anything are the ones behind this. See how well the PETA protests worked with Michael Vick?

When the liberal PC police are bitching and moaning about it falls on deaf ears. Once the native americans that this name actually offends take the charge will anything be done. I'm sorry but I can't find sympathy when some wrinkly white guy is out calling for the change of a name he doesn't even know the history behind.