• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Half US Senate Pressuring NFL to Change Redskins Name, Comparing Situation to Donald Sterling

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly half the US Senate (50 US Senators, all Democrats) are now pressuring the NFL to change the Redskins name:

ESPN said:
Letters signed by 50 U.S. senators urging the league to change the Washington Redskins name were sent on Thursday to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The senators draw a parallel between the NBA's no-tolerance policy regarding the racist comments made by Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and asks the NFL to act similarly.

"Today, we urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports," the senators write. "It's time for the NFL to endorse a name change for the Washington, D.C. football team.

"The despicable comments made by Mr. Sterling have opened up a national conversation about race relations. We believe this conversation is an opportunity for the NFL to take action to remove the racial slur from the name of one of its marquee franchises."

[...]

One letter to the NFL was signed by 49 senators (only Democrats) and was not signed by Tim Kaine or Mark Warner, the two Democratic senators from Virginia.

Senator Bill Nelson (D-Florida) sent a separate letter to Goodell calling for the Redskins to change their name.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fearthepelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only one who has any say in the matter is Snider. The name will stay unless he decides to change it.

I do find the emotional opposition to the name change amusing, though.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soon to be less than half this Nov.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This news almost makes me want to buy a Redskins jersey. If I were a Redskins' fan I would go buy one right now.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody really lose any sleep over some footballs team name? They've only been the Redskins since 1932 and now everybodys worried about it?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congress' approval rating is in the dumps.

The NFL has record-levels of popularity.

The last thing the NFL needs is a bunch of idiot politicians telling it what to do.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
All these politicians are doing is grabbing the low hanging fruit.

It's easy to send off a letter to ask for a name change so you can then claim what a "champion" of the people you are and how you're taking a stand against racism.

Meanwhile avoiding all the difficult and serious issues that Native Americans face like poverty, lack of education, and enumerable social problems that they actually care far more about then the name of a sports team.

So what happens if the name does get changed? The so called "champions" of the people pat themselves on the back and move on to the next low hanging fruit they can grab onto all the while Native Americans wake up the next day with their lives no better then they were before.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched every SB played on tv...love the league, but it is time to let that name go. Re brand the club and move on.

Teams original owner was a racist...put that guy and his team name down. I have always admired Washington and their fans. Great history, but this is not one of them.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched every SB played on tv...love the league, but it is time to let that name go. Re brand the club and move on.

Teams original owner was a racist...put that guy and his team name down. I have always admired Washington and their fans. Great history, but this is not one of them.

For that matter, Cleveland should change the name of the baseball team, Chicago should change the name of the hockey team, Kansas City should change the name of the football team...

Fucking stupid.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Political correctness is the bane of our new society. Oh my the name Redskins is offensive and means you don't care and are a racist for keeping the name , or you must be a hater if you don't agree with someone's sexual preference. How about this let the people vote with their $$$$$$ if a business is deemed unworthly they will change or go out of business it is the natural order of things if not get over it.

If you don't like the Washington Redskins don't support them or the NFL spend your dollars elsewhere. If you think a company does not treat people fair then don't buy their products.

But quit trying to tell me how I should think and feel because it is politically correct. Politically correct does not mean its right it just means its the flavor of the day to some feel good bunch of agitators that wont get down and get their hands dirty fixing the problems instead just kvetching and whining about poor pitiful me and the cause of the month.

And to the US Senators go back to work you lazy bums and try to get something done other than pointing fingers at the other guy saying its his fault. Do some real work!!!! Take a stand push for some meaningful legislation that you can be proud of that will help lift our country out of the quagmire of mediocrity that has plagued us for the past 20 years.

Do some real thinking and some life worthy work and leave this petty small BS to the petty small minded that have nothing better to do than whine about the name Redskins. We have bigger problems and better work to be done than worry about this which will take care of itself as the people vote with their $$$$$$.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous. Hell the dumbass senator of Oklahoma should change the state name, which stands for "Red people."

I hope Snyder never changes it. Tempted to buy a Skins jersey or some Skins items. Glad Snyder owns the Redskins right now because he's the stubborn kind of guy that wont cave in.

We have huge economical problems, our country is getting dumber, the last few presidents have been a joke, and we're worried about a freaking football team name?

My grandfather said it the best. "Congress is a joke, they should fire all of them."

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me take a wild guess as to which half of the senate feels this way...

Effing brain dead tards.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Political correctness is the bane of our new society. Oh my the name Redskins is offensive and means you don't care and are a racist for keeping the name , or you must be a hater if you don't agree with someone's sexual preference. How about this let the people vote with their $$$$$$ if a business is deemed unworthly they will change or go out of business it is the natural order of things if not get over it.

If you don't like the Washington Redskins don't support them or the NFL spend your dollars elsewhere. If you think a company does not treat people fair then don't buy their products.

But quit trying to tell me how I should think and feel because it is politically correct. Politically correct does not mean its right it just means its the flavor of the day to some feel good bunch of agitators that wont get down and get their hands dirty fixing the problems instead just kvetching and whining about poor pitiful me and the cause of the month.

And to the US Senators go back to work you lazy bums and try to get something done other than pointing fingers at the other guy saying its his fault. Do some real work!!!! Take a stand push for some meaningful legislation that you can be proud of that will help lift our country out of the quagmire of mediocrity that has plagued us for the past 20 years.

Do some real thinking and some life worthy work and leave this petty small BS to the petty small minded that have nothing better to do than whine about the name Redskins. We have bigger problems and better work to be done than worry about this which will take care of itself as the people vote with their $$$$$$.

WOW !!! A man after my own heart - - if you ever think of running for office - you have my vote !!! The only thing I would differ with is the timeframe of mediocrity - - I put it at around 8- 10 years.