• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here We Go Again........Money, Money and More Money

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on when a player was actively suiting up every weekend, his pay was relative to that time period.
In the 1950'sNFL players had real jobs during the week and played in the NFL during the weekends and every player made between $2000 nd $8000 a game. Considering that the average guy working for a living was making about $35-$50 a week $5000 was a huge amount of money. You could buy a Cadillac for $2000 and you could buy a three bedroom house for $5000. Things remained pretty much in place as football expanded and a new league started competing with the old one. Finally a guy named Joe namasth cracked an unheard of amount of money and got $100,000 a year from the NY Jets and the owners had to start payng more money.
Television was still restricted to CBS.

By 1965 the salary competition grew and teams decided that if they were going to pay people $50K to $100K a year, then they better be staying in shape. Then NBC stepped up and signed a huge Mega deal with the AFL and the race was on. Finally in 1970 cooler heads prevailed and Lamar Hunt called the AFL owners together and presented an idea and the new NFL was born.

Some players were smart and invested their money and made fortunes from letting financial experts invest and control all of the money that would normally sit ina savings accpount and pick up minimal interest. Others thought that they would play football until they were 65 and spent every check like there was no tomorrow.

Now, Eric Dickerson wants some of the millions that today's players are getting and wants the NFL to share revenue with members of the Hall of Fame. Especilly players who have a "NAME".

Hey Eric, sounds like you think that your "name" is worth more today than when you polayed and since you retired 25 years ago, around 1995, the landscape has changed you think that your name is worth a couple of million a year.

What about those guys who made the holes that you ran through and made it possible for 'you' to have that "name" that you think is so valuable? Don't you think that those guys deserve as much, if not, more than you do? Hey, they made you who you were.

You were making top dollar at the time. Did you invest anything? Or did you have a bunch of homies hanging around sucking you dry?

NFL Headlines
Eric Dickerson says Hall of Famers “with names” may boycott Hall of Fame festivities
CBS Sports | Jul 20

The Pro Football Hall of Fame will enshrine its eight newest members on Aug. 3 in Canton, Ohio. But Eric Dickerson, who was inducted 20 years ago, said this week that he and others may boycott the induction festivities until the NFL meets the demands Dickerson and a group of Hall of Famers spelled out in a letter last year to league commissioner Roger Goodell, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, and Pro Football Hall of Fame president David Baker.

Namely: health insurance, an annual salary for Hall of Famers and a share of NFL revenues.

"A lot of guys have talked about it, but you know we [may] try to start doing something about it," Dickerson said Friday during an appearance on WFNZ in Charlotte, via Pro Football Talk. "One of the things we're doing I mean is we're possibly a lot of us not going to the Hall of Fame this year. Because I think it starts was guys like myself, guys with names. You know, the Joe Montanas, the Marcus Allens, the Richard Dents, the Lawrence Taylors.

"If you've got a guy who played [and] his name is John Thompson, you know, who is he? But you've got the guys with the names, and you have to have awareness. And I think that's what it comes down to. No one is aware of how badly the players are treated and done. And I think when people think football, they think automatically, 'He's a rich guy. He's rich.' And guys aren't rich. Some of the guys are making real money, but in our era, the base salary was $40,000."

Dickerson told TMZ last September what he thought every player deserved.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric the average income in the US in 1990 was $20k.

The average NFL salary was $422k. I think you dropped a number.

Do us all a favor and STFU.

Average NFL salary up 18.5 percent, to $422,149
its 2.7 mil now those poor players:suds:

btw avg usa salary is 60 grand

maybe he can get vegas to chip in a few bucks

$150 Billion Annually
Estimated value of American sports gambling.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone give a crap if Dickerson and other former players skip the HOF activities? Who the Hell cares Eric and shame on you for saying you deserve something more than a lesser known player without a "name" does. Go set up a table and sign autographs 7 days a week if you name is so great and you want money.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new CBA should include a Social Security type program where the players put in a percentage of their salary to be paid out to retired players.
I exclude the wealthiest players from collecting this. The 15 year plus players should have enough to take care of themselves for life.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always thought Dickerson was a douchebag for thinking the greats deserved Health Care & screw all the little guys (the ones that probably actually needed it. he should have been fighting for as soon as you accrue enough time. you are in. Simple as that. Not pamper the pampered already. By screwing over the unknown guys.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new CBA should include a Social Security type program where the players put in a percentage of their salary to be paid out to retired players.
I exclude the wealthiest players from collecting this. The 15 year plus players should have enough to take care of themselves for life.

Well that’s a NFLPA problem not NFL problem. Only tiny thing he can bitch about the NFL is retirees health insurance, every other complaint he has in on today’s player not the owners but doesn’t have the guts to call today’s player selfish.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pay for my own health coverage. It's 290 a month. I never made more than 50k a year. If Eric Dickerson and other HOF'ers were too stupid to put some of their millions or even just hundreds of thousands aside for when they were older, that's just stupidity on their part. They can get a job driving for LYFT. F them.

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its 2.7 mil now those poor players:suds:

btw avg usa salary is 60 grand

maybe he can get vegas to chip in a few bucks

$150 Billion Annually
Estimated value of American sports gambling.

Good idea. Like some native Americans, we should all get a piece of the gambling pie.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pay for my own health coverage. It's 290 a month. I never made more than 50k a year. If Eric Dickerson and other HOF'ers were too stupid to put some of their millions or even just hundreds of thousands aside for when they were older, that's just stupidity on their part. They can get a job driving for LYFT. F them.
Wow, You get health insurance for $290/month? Even for Obamacare that sounds cheap. Obviously a single plan, right?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that’s a NFLPA problem not NFL problem. Only tiny thing he can bitch about the NFL is retirees health insurance, every other complaint he has in on today’s player not the owners but doesn’t have the guts to call today’s player selfish.
Agree, that's why I'm saying the players should vote to take care of themselves in the future.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, You get health insurance for $290/month? Even for Obamacare that sounds cheap. Obviously a single plan, right?
Yes, single, no kids. United Health Care. Just medical,no dental or vision.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, that's why I'm saying the players should vote to take care of themselves in the future.

Yeah, but that won’t ever happen and why they will always be the weakest union. Most of the guys playing and to strike or issues they don’t either care about in the moment or think about in the moment like life time insurance or a better pension.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a few salaries for some bigger name guys from 1990 just so you can see the discrepancy in what guys were getting paid

Herschel Walker RB $2,250,000
Reggie White DE $1,350,000
Randall Cunningham QB 1,275,000
Jerry Rice WR 900,000
Barry Sanders RB 500,000
Randall McDaniel G 260,000
Mike Singletary LB 200,000
LeRoy Butler CB 170,000
Mark Schlereth G 71,500
John Randle DE 55,000

These guys are all starters i couldn't find any info on the bench guys. I'm not sure why anyone would have an issue with Dickerson trying to get retirement and health benefits for the no name guys.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said base salary not the average he's talking about what later draft picks and UDFAs were making.
Link?
I think that is still low?
Regardless he wasn't making anywhere near bottom tier level $.
Nor does it hold water. He's fighting for players with a name, those in the HOF not UDFAs or late picks.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a few salaries for some bigger name guys from 1990 just so you can see the discrepancy in what guys were getting paid

Herschel Walker RB $2,250,000
Reggie White DE $1,350,000
Randall Cunningham QB 1,275,000
Jerry Rice WR 900,000
Barry Sanders RB 500,000
Randall McDaniel G 260,000
Mike Singletary LB 200,000
LeRoy Butler CB 170,000
Mark Schlereth G 71,500
John Randle DE 55,000

These guys are all starters i couldn't find any info on the bench guys. I'm not sure why anyone would have an issue with Dickerson trying to get retirement and health benefits for the no name guys.

Keep researching and cherry picking. Randle was a rookie in 1990.

If Dickerson is out of $ it's his own fault. No one should feel bad for a man who played a game for a living and made more than most Americans will make in a lifetime.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep researching and cherry picking. Randle was a rookie in 1990.

If Dickerson is out of $ it's his own fault. No one should feel bad for a man who played a game for a living and made more than most Americans will make in a lifetime.

He's trying to get money for the no names not himself. he's worth over 10 million

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's trying to get money for the no names not himself. he's worth over 10 million

NM i'm wrong Dickerson is an idiot 300k a year for HOFers is ridiculous, but the healthcare and retirement for all players i do agree with.

Last edited:

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on when a player was actively suiting up every weekend, his pay was relative to that time period.
In the 1950'sNFL players had real jobs during the week and played in the NFL during the weekends and every player made between $2000 nd $8000 a game. Considering that the average guy working for a living was making about $35-$50 a week $5000 was a huge amount of money. You could buy a Cadillac for $2000 and you could buy a three bedroom house for $5000. Things remained pretty much in place as football expanded and a new league started competing with the old one. Finally a guy named Joe namasth cracked an unheard of amount of money and got $100,000 a year from the NY Jets and the owners had to start payng more money.
Television was still restricted to CBS.

By 1965 the salary competition grew and teams decided that if they were going to pay people $50K to $100K a year, then they better be staying in shape. Then NBC stepped up and signed a huge Mega deal with the AFL and the race was on. Finally in 1970 cooler heads prevailed and Lamar Hunt called the AFL owners together and presented an idea and the new NFL was born...
There isn't a lot of information about NFL salaries in the 1950s but $2K-8K per game looks high. It was a 12 game season and salary estimates are $10K-20K for the year.

pressboxonline.com/story/4537/sports-history-101-1958-nfl-championship-by-the-numbers

It was a very different game and the athletes were semi-pro.