• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Grumble, I don't like it!" - tOfficial VTfoozball thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol...you make it seem like the coaches think exactly the way you do...how do YOU know that they wouldn't rather have newsome over north?? oh that's right...you're not a coach...so you DON'T. They know what they are looking for, and for the most part..especially recently...they are getting the ones they want.

Why would they want Newsome over North? Just because one commits before another doesn't mean it was their first choice. We've got all these DB commits before Fuller does that mean he is not 1st choice?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they want Newsome over North? Just because one commits before another doesn't mean it was their first choice.

I guess we should pull his scholarship like Alabama does if North decides to commit on signing day then right?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess we should pull his scholarship like Alabama does if North decides to commit on signing day then right?

Are we full with WRs? I doubt it.

By the way the 2 players singled out by the coaches, the 2 players that Beamer seemed most pleased with in the 2012 class were Harris and Edmunds. Also I think Ekanem was praised a lot. All 4 stars

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VTfoozball....

It's obvious you don't like anything about the Tech football program despite your claims that you do. So, here's an idea, pick another program from the list linked below and go visit them for a while...

ESPN List of College Football Teams

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If he was recruited with WR in mind I doubt it. North vs Newsome...hmm let's see...same speed but one is about 5 inches taller and 30-35 pounds heavier...hmmm

I was referring to "1st choice" as a guy who had an "early" offer, i.e. someone who they had been recruiting for a while and not someone who was just a "spot filler". Reality is that every school misses out on some of their first choice, Im just happy to see us start to land our "early offers" as opposed to a guy who get offered because "1st choice" went somewhere else.

Honestly foozball i cant completely agree or disagree with a lot of what you say. I think you bring up a lot of points that most of us would like to see addressed about our football team. The thing is that i think a lot of us recognize the steps that the program has taken to get here, and while we want to take "the next step", its still to look back and appreciate where we are at now.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we full with WRs? I doubt it.

By the way the 2 players singled out by the coaches, the 2 players that Beamer seemed most pleased with in the 2012 class were Harris and Edmunds. Also I think Ekanem was praised a lot. All 4 stars

Maybe that's just the way your brain is processing their comments. You are expecting them to do better because Rivals is telling you they are going to be better. I bet you thought Kirven was a better fit for our defense than Luther Maddy, or even Nigel Williams will be don't you?

Last edited by a moderator:

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is everyone's problem with a dissenting opinion? It's true that Fooz's talent evaluating ability probably isn't up to par with that of our coaches, but it doesn't automatically make his opinions wrong. We already have a guy on board who will probably play in the slot (Prince) so I guarantee someone like North is higher on our board.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is everyone's problem with a dissenting opinion? It's true that Fooz's talent evaluating ability probably isn't up to par with that of our coaches, but it doesn't automatically make his opinions wrong. We already have a guy on board who will probably play in the slot (Prince) so I guarantee someone like North is higher on our board.

Dissenting opinions aren't a bad thing. I actually like sharing viewpoints and debating the positives and negatives of opposing points of views. But perennially negative comments about everything that has to do with VT is a different animal though. I haven't heard a positive comment come from him yet. So and so isn't good enough to play for us, so and so can't coach, we can't recruit, blah blah blah. I'm with TAE... If you don't like anything about how VT coaches, recruits, or plays football, then why even bother following them?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I want is more players with clear pro potential. A lot of the guys we get have a longer, tougher road ahead of them to get drafted highly and succeed in the NFL. It is important to have those players because they will help with recruiting in the future. If you want to be an elite team then you need to have superstars. You can't have superstars if they don't feel like VT is the best choice for them. They don't feel like VT is the best choice for them because VTs NFL history is 2nd tier to many SEC schools and other powerhouses across the country. If Beamer is not going to make coaching changes then the changes have to come in recruiting if VT is going to take the next step. For the most part I really liked the 2012 class. I think the 2013 class is solid so far but there is some major work to be done especially with the O-line haul. Once again we are getting passed over by all the big name OOS O-line recruits and it doesn't surprise me one bit. This is also a year when we could use a big WR commit because the projected 2013 WRs to this point do not fill me with confidence.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
MY point is that foozball basically said that only 4 and 5 star players are difference makers in college so those are the only players that he gets excited about. I was just trying to make the point that just because they have a certain number of stars beside their name doesnt make them AA's. Coale and Boykin were two examples that i used because neither were highly recruited coming out of HS.

My other point was that VT is landing a lot more of their early offers these days, that is a vast improvement over past years when early misses led us to offer more "project" type guys later in the process. I dont doubt for a minute that North is higher on our recruiting board than Newsome, but that doesnt determine their impact on the field either. As a point to that I can 100% guarantee that Nic Acree was way higher on our target board a few years back than Maddy was last year, 1 had a fantastic FR year, 1 is struggling to get on the field at a position he wasnt recruited.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you've ignored things I've said. I like several players from the 2012 class and almost the entire coaching staff

That's entirely possible. I've been trying my best to ignore the vast majority of your posts since the whole "i know more about recruiting DBs than VT's defensive staff" discussion.:loco:

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boykin was a very solid college WR. He also had his limitations and could never impact a game like someone like Sammy Watkins or Demaryius Thomas. He's also not going to help with recruiting in the future because I don't think he'll make a name for himself in the pros. Boykin was a great find and is one of those "program sustainers" I was talking about but if you want to be able to overcome coaching errors and critical turnovers like those that happened in the Michigan game or be able to hang with a legit top 2-3 team in the nation like 2010 Stanford, then the talent level needs to go up.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's entirely possible. I've been trying my best to ignore the vast majority of your posts since the whole "i know more about recruiting DBs than VT's defensive staff" discussion.:loco:

The coaches sent out offers to several DBs. Do you actually think they have them all rated the same? They do not. However they can't risk not getting their quota and coming up short on the roster in the future so they have to send offers out to some lower on their lists. Also my problem with Clark was that video which I thought was him and turned out to be someone who probably didn't get a scholarship offer from any D-1 college. That was also the same video that you said you didn't have a problem with. You thought that guy was good

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What I want is more players with clear pro potential. A lot of the guys we get have a longer, tougher road ahead of them to get drafted highly and succeed in the NFL. It is important to have those players because they will help with recruiting in the future. If you want to be an elite team then you need to have superstars. You can't have superstars if they don't feel like VT is the best choice for them. They don't feel like VT is the best choice for them because VTs NFL history is 2nd tier to many SEC schools and other powerhouses across the country. If Beamer is not going to make coaching changes then the changes have to come in recruiting if VT is going to take the next step. For the most part I really liked the 2012 class. I think the 2013 class is solid so far but there is some major work to be done especially with the O-line haul. Once again we are getting passed over by all the big name OOS O-line recruits and it doesn't surprise me one bit. This is also a year when we could use a big WR commit because the projected 2013 WRs to this point do not fill me with confidence.

I do agree that big names help recruiting for the future. IMO Hodges, Fisher, Coleman, Caleb, just to name a few are all big names (at least regionally) that will attract guys for the future.

I also agree that VT hasnt been the NFL factory like some "powerhouse" programs around the country, but its been proven that if you perform at VT you have a very good chance at getting a shot. I also see a lot of guys on the roster right now that have NFL futures, so hopefully that can become a better selling point in the future.

Im not a bit concerned about WR at this point, just my opinion. We got a couple good ones last year and will prob get at least one more this year.

As far as the OL, im not going to get into a rant but i seriously believe that OL is the main reason that VT hasnt taken that "next step". Depth will be a huge concern on the OL moving forward.

the one thing i disagree about is "beamer needs to make changes". Beamer has made changes, give them a little time to take full effect, before you start to critique them. Shane has proven himself at recruiting and we will see with our current RB's how he does there. Brown seems to be really active on the coaching side of things and is starting to settle in with his recruiting. I also like stiney back to the OL and ocain calling plays.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway we could change foozball's title (the thing under his user name) to "Negative Nancy" or something like that?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Boykin was a very solid college WR. He also had his limitations and could never impact a game like someone like Sammy Watkins or Demaryius Thomas. He's also not going to help with recruiting in the future because I don't think he'll make a name for himself in the pros. Boykin was a great find and is one of those "program sustainers" I was talking about but if you want to be able to overcome coaching errors and critical turnovers like those that happened in the Michigan game or be able to hang with a legit top 2-3 team in the nation like 2010 Stanford, then the talent level needs to go up.

The primary "critical error" that cost us the Michigan game was created by a replay ref who had made a similar call in previous game between PAC-12 programs. Which Tech coach or player do you want to blame for that POS call?

By the way, Coale's catch in OT was used by several analysts describing his excellent pass-catching skills.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The primary "critical error" that cost us the Michigan game was created by a replay ref who had made a similar call in previous game between PAC-12 programs. Which Tech coach or player do you want to blame for that POS call?

By the way, Coale's catch in OT was used by several analysts describing his excellent pass-catching skills.

not to mention that dang near every draft analyst has him as the best sleeper pick in the draft. yet another player that proves star rankings really don't mean squat....and he will be one to help with recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.