• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

grading dougie

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just went from C to B, and now has the potential to be an A. This was huge...

Now he should sign miettenen at 2 yrs, 2-2.5M per, and he'll still have 4 or 5M in cap space tpo get one more forward for the 3rd line... How about samsonov at 1.5M? High risk-high reward, but if its a 1 year deal under 2M, then there isnt a big downside. Jumbo and samsonov reunited?

Thornton-Marleau-Havlat
Clowe-pavelski-Couture
Handzus-Miettenen-samsonov
mitchell+2 rooks

That's a reasonable offense and would still have a few mil in cap space.

Just curious - what's wrong with Wellwood? I thought the guy showed outstanding hockey smarts, especially in the playoffs. He has good speed and seemed to always be in the right spot. Unless he is looking for mad money I think thats a better bet than Samsonov who seems to disappear a lot.

Miettenen would be a nice pickup and that consistent 35+ points /yr along with existing talent would really give us a solid 3 lines.. rudely so.

4th line would still be suspect but McGinn and Mclaren might emerge after a full season of work.

That being said - Drury, cheap, would be a nice pickup - the guy has always been very good defensively

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wellwide went Slowvelski In the playoffs and stopped producing after the first round

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious - what's wrong with Wellwood? I thought the guy showed outstanding hockey smarts, especially in the playoffs. He has good speed and seemed to always be in the right spot. Unless he is looking for mad money I think thats a better bet than Samsonov who seems to disappear a lot.

Miettenen would be a nice pickup and that consistent 35+ points /yr along with existing talent would really give us a solid 3 lines.. rudely so.

4th line would still be suspect but McGinn and Mclaren might emerge after a full season of work.

That being said - Drury, cheap, would be a nice pickup - the guy has always been very good defensively

I'm with you on Wellwood's play last season. The Mitchell-Pavs-Wellwood line had chemistry for a good stretch there. It wouldn't be a bad signing to get him for around $1 so that the option to go back to that line was in TMac's arsenal. But if Wellwood is not on that line, he may not fit in otherwise.

With Handzus penciled in at 3rd line center, I'd like for his wingers to have speed first, defensive IQ, physicality, then offensive skill. I envision the third line spending very little time in their own zone because they can quickly neutralize an opposing team's possession of the puck, turn up ice and get it deep. Handzus is good at cycling, grinding it out, and I think it's unlikely that Wellwood can mesh with that. Just theorizing.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting points -

I still think the problem on that line though (as much as I like him) was Pavs, speed wise. I sort of see Wellwood as the new Sunny (Thornton-Ricci-Sunny) on that line.. positionally smart and in the right place with that quick pass to a pinching D-man or just a smart move on the cycle.

I get the sensitivity to speed however.. (which, I sort of wish Pav had gone to Minn instead of Seto...).

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting points -

I still think the problem on that line though (as much as I like him) was Pavs, speed wise. I sort of see Wellwood as the new Sunny (Thornton-Ricci-Sunny) on that line.. positionally smart and in the right place with that quick pass to a pinching D-man or just a smart move on the cycle.

I get the sensitivity to speed however.. (which, I sort of wish Pav had gone to Minn instead of Seto...).

That was my one my first thoughts on the Burns trade as well. It sure is hard to justify that notion considering Seto's inconsistency and Pav's 'clutchness'. However, that was before they acquired Havlat (speedster) and subtracted Heater. One thing I won't doubt is Pav's effort level. That was something I was critical about towards Seto.

As for Wellwood, I'm thinking he is looking for a longer term contract than any team out there is willing to give him. Probably so he can start raiding buffets again once some team gives him that 4 year deal. Also, the Sharks don't have much physicality in their forwards right now. Guys that can forecheck hard and also punish the outlet passer by finishing checks. Wellwood is not that. Still, if he wanted to come back for about $1, I hope Dougie takes him back. In case the Sharks ever wanted to go with a third scoring line, Wellwood can help towards that make up.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played better than I thought he would last year but Wellwood gets knocked off of the puck too easily.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my one my first thoughts on the Burns trade as well. It sure is hard to justify that notion considering Seto's inconsistency and Pav's 'clutchness'. However, that was before they acquired Havlat (speedster) and subtracted Heater. One thing I won't doubt is Pav's effort level. That was something I was critical about towards Seto.

As for Wellwood, I'm thinking he is looking for a longer term contract than any team out there is willing to give him. Probably so he can start raiding buffets again once some team gives him that 4 year deal. Also, the Sharks don't have much physicality in their forwards right now. Guys that can forecheck hard and also punish the outlet passer by finishing checks. Wellwood is not that. Still, if he wanted to come back for about $1, I hope Dougie takes him back. In case the Sharks ever wanted to go with a third scoring line, Wellwood can help towards that make up.

One thing I'm going to miss about Seto (other than his speed and his wicked shot) was his checking.The guy can play the body pretty well and I, too, was hoping the Sharks would have sent Pavelski over instead of Seto. Pavs is clutch, but after that beating he took in the Detroit series he was MIA in the WCF. Granted, Seto may have not been the most consistent player and he should have scored more goals playing on a line that included Thornton, but for what it's worth the Sharks overpaid in the Burns deal. I really hope the team resigns Burns to a long term deal. :ss:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: So this is our Roster :think:

Marleau, Thornton, Havlat *Looks Great*

Clowe, Couture, Pavelski *Ackward, just doesn't look right*

McGinn, Handzus, Mitchell *Don't like*

Murray, Desjardins, Mashinter *Really don't like*

Burns, Vlasic

Boyle, Murray

Demers, Vandermeer

Niemi
Niittymaki

I just dont think this a Cup Winning roster at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad2: I'm one unhappy season ticket holder, so far with Doug's moves :lm:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: So this is our Roster :think:

Marleau, Thornton, Havlat *Looks Great*

Clowe, Couture, Pavelski *Ackward, just doesn't look right*

McGinn, Handzus, Mitchell *Don't like*

Murray, Desjardins, Mashinter *Really don't like*

Burns, Vlasic

Boyle, Murray

Demers, Vandermeer

Niemi
Niittymaki

I just dont think this a Cup Winning roster at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad2: I'm one unhappy season ticket holder, so far with Doug's moves :lm:

You don't like any of the moves? Not Heater for Havlat? Not Seto for Burns (future considerations aside)? Not getting a vet 3rd liner centerman in Handzus? Not getting a vet 6th dman? Which one(s) bother you the most?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel Doug traded too much for Seto, but I do like the addition to Burns.

Heatley for Havlat seemed like a wash

Vandermeer was a nice addition, but options were limited

Hanzus was a solid move, but i don't see who can play on his wings.

I wanted to see more addition to the 3rd & 4th line that could produce and play the PK. I just don't think the young players can cut it.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wanted to see more addition to the 3rd & 4th line that could produce and play the PK. I just don't think the young players can cut it.

I agree, but you have to have patience until after the arbitration hearings. This team probably won't be fully constructed until mid August to early September I'd assume. If Training Camp arrives and this is still the roster, then start being angry/afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Offseason isn't over yet. As of now I have the line-up looking like:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
????? - Handzus - Mitchell
McGinn - Desjardins - Murray
Ferriero

Vlasic - Burns
Murray - Boyle
Vandermeer - Demers
Braun

Niemi
Niittymaki

That's a solid line-up and with the cap space that still remains Wilson has the ability to improve upon it even more. The line-up also allows for a lot of flexability. Pavs could get moved down to the 3rd line if another top six is aquired. Mitchell could go to the 4th line and two solid 3rd liners brought in. Wilsons options on who he can aquire are growing thin but his ability to make the line-up even better is still there.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Doug has a plan, but I can't help but be worried.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if Doug doesn't sign UFA, what does he use as trade bait?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But if Doug doesn't sign UFA, what does he use as trade bait?

Picks and prospects most likely if he's just filling out the 3rd line. At this point Wilson doesn't have much options other than looking at RFA's who turn UFA because their team walks from their arbitration award or taking salary dumps from teams who are over their internal budget or over the cap.