• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

grading dougie

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now that the frenzy is mostly over, how would you guys grade dougie.

For me, it's a C. Not because he didnt get some guys he needed, but because better options and deals were possible, and he could have done far far better.

Basically the sharks lost white and seto and got handzus and burns (and mortgaged the fractured splinters of what was left of their farm system). Seems to me that we are only marginally better. Also, everyone expected white to go because dougie couldnt afford him, but dougie could have signed him AND handzus AND gotten burns had he re-signed white instead of adding vandermeer. I like vandy, but he is big and slow, and I dont think he is the kind of guy we need. (we need speed and threats from the point, not huskins/wallin like guys).

Not only would that have made the sharks D seriously fearsome (Boyle, Burns, White, Demers, Vlasic, Murray, Braun = cup worthy and scary), but it would have buried detroit much lower with no great options left. Now the D is good, but still has just too many Dmen who arent threats (half the D is useless offensively with pickles, murray, and vandermeer). We are gunna struggle to score from the blueline... again... and it's gunna be tough. Granted, burns helps, but the defensive deep threat isnt there, and one injury to demers, burns, or boyle would cripple this D so bad.

Basically, not a total disaster and no truly stupid deals (ala wallin), but also no steals and super jobs either. A straight C.

So, what would you give him?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Have to wait and see how he finishes out the lower 2 lines before i have a complete opinion. Though trading seto over pavelski was a grade A cluster fark. He has also put a ton of pressure on Logan to atleast repeat his season, which i personally see happening just because he "gets it"

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO I agree with Korky at this point. It's still too early to tell. As of right now, I'd give him a C+. That said, if he picks up Miettinen it would move up to a B. If he signs Drury only, I'd give him a B-. If he does both, I'd give him an A-. If he does both of those and re-signs Burns to a good deal.....A.

At this point though, I'd just be happy with one of the above additions happening.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that the frenzy is mostly over, how would you guys grade dougie.

For me, it's a C. Not because he didnt get some guys he needed, but because better options and deals were possible, and he could have done far far better.

Basically the sharks lost white and seto and got handzus and burns (and mortgaged the fractured splinters of what was left of their farm system). Seems to me that we are only marginally better. Also, everyone expected white to go because dougie couldnt afford him, but dougie could have signed him AND handzus AND gotten burns had he re-signed white instead of adding vandermeer. I like vandy, but he is big and slow, and I dont think he is the kind of guy we need. (we need speed and threats from the point, not huskins/wallin like guys).

Not only would that have made the sharks D seriously fearsome (Boyle, Burns, White, Demers, Vlasic, Murray, Braun = cup worthy and scary), but it would have buried detroit much lower with no great options left. Now the D is good, but still has just too many Dmen who arent threats (half the D is useless offensively with pickles, murray, and vandermeer). We are gunna struggle to score from the blueline... again... and it's gunna be tough. Granted, burns helps, but the defensive deep threat isnt there, and one injury to demers, burns, or boyle would cripple this D so bad.

Basically, not a total disaster and no truly stupid deals (ala wallin), but also no steals and super jobs either. A straight C.

So, what would you give him?

How come you didn't include the aquisition of Burns when considering Wilson's offseason grade?

As of now I'm going to give him a B-. I'll break it down to an A- for his moves on defense and a C to the forwards. If he makes a couple moves to the forward group he could easily turn this to a B possibily even an A.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How come you didn't include the aquisition of Burns when considering Wilson's offseason grade?

As of now I'm going to give him a B-. I'll break it down to an A- for his moves on defense and a C to the forwards. If he makes a couple moves to the forward group he could easily turn this to a B possibily even an A.

Which would be a first in the history of the franchise, i mean honestly im with you, a solid B maybe even B+ because he plugged glaring holes and got some much needed help for Boyle and Vlasic with getting Burns and Vandy.

Only gaf so far is not forcing the wild to take SlowVelski

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to wait till training camp starts to give Ole Dougie Boy a grade. If this all he does and doesn't get a contract to Burns then he gets a F!!!!!!! Right now I think I would give Doug a C+, just cuz he made a nice addition to the D-side, but our Lowers lines look average at best "I'm not happy about that"

I hope Doug has a plan

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now what grade does he get for offing Barry Zeatley?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And with one trade he just got an A+++++++++A to the 1 billionths power

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still has to fill out the bottom 6. Hopefully with one more vet.

Up till this point, I'd give him a B-. He addressed the blueline and the PK, two areas that sorely needed it. We all saw those were the two areas that needed improvement and he did too. Par for the course. That earns him a C. He did it without committing to any absurd contracts which bumps it up to a B-.

Looking short sighted as in how the team has improved from last season... Burns trade was very good. Handzus acquisition is good. Vandy's contract is very good.

After seeing what White got with DET, I really wished Doug kept him. Guys like Vandy (lower pairing, stay-at-home Dman) can be gotten at the trade deadline. The D corp would have really been dynamic had it been Boyle, Burns, Demers, White. Like sjrules mentioned in a different thread, it could have helped make up for any lack of bottom 6 forward offensive skill. It's impossible to say if he could have had the other good UFA's though. Who knows if they would have demanded more to move to SJ.

As it stands now, he only spent an additional $1 on the blueline during the UFA period. He has a couple more millions to spend on a third line vet winger. Depending on who he gets, and how he sets himself up for the next offseason where he has to re-sign Burns and Couture, his grade will go up or down from there.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today, I like him a lot.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go get Miettinen. Havlat, get the assist and bring him here. Please!!!

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as I submitted my post, I see Korky's saying "And with one trade he just got an A+++++++++A to the 1 billionths power"

Huh? Then I find out about Havlat.

Dougie you get an A. Now go fill out the 3rd line RW with a defensive vet with some wheels and you're getting into A+ territory.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.........geez what's Doug thinking???????

What's gonna happpen next??????

I don't think ima get any sleep tonight

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta hand it to Doug for giving us big things to talk about this off season.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just went from C to B, and now has the potential to be an A. This was huge...

Now he should sign miettenen at 2 yrs, 2-2.5M per, and he'll still have 4 or 5M in cap space tpo get one more forward for the 3rd line... How about samsonov at 1.5M? High risk-high reward, but if its a 1 year deal under 2M, then there isnt a big downside. Jumbo and samsonov reunited?

Thornton-Marleau-Havlat
Clowe-pavelski-Couture
Handzus-Miettenen-samsonov
mitchell+2 rooks

That's a reasonable offense and would still have a few mil in cap space.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking over the roster I think Wilson still needs to add two 3rd liners. One being a tweener 2nd/3rd liner who can play either wing. As Rules suggests Samsonov would fit that bill to a T. The 2nd player needs to be a natural center who can also play wing and is a PKer. Brendan Morrison, who's UFA, fits that bill as does Andrew Cogliano whom the Oilers have been actively shoping.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't Samsonov break the identity of the third line Doug is trying to construct? A shutdown checking third line. Samsonov is indeed a tweener 2nd/3rd liner but that's if the Sharks were going for a scoring third line, not a grind it out, shutdown third line.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wouldn't Samsonov break the identity of the third line Doug is trying to construct? A shutdown checking third line. Samsonov is indeed a tweener 2nd/3rd liner but that's if the Sharks were going for a scoring third line, not a grind it out, shutdown third line.

I'm not really sure which way Wilson is going to go with the 3rd line. While Handzus is a great shutdown center he is also good offensively. Samsonov most definately isn't a grinding type forward but he is responsible in his own end. He won't wow anyone with that part of his game but he won't have you screaming at your TV either.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not really sure which way Wilson is going to go with the 3rd line. While Handzus is a great shutdown center he is also good offensively. Samsonov most definately isn't a grinding type forward but he is responsible in his own end. He won't wow anyone with that part of his game but he won't have you screaming at your TV either.

If they sign Samsonov, it would almost be to tempting to not put him on a line with Jumbo and Marty, that would add a ton of speed and some defense on that line, and maybe Joe can help Sammy get his game back.

Of course that means dropping Slowvelski back down to the third with Zeus and that would be a tortise and a sloth on that line so that would be bad i suppose.

New Rumor going around is buffalo is up against the cap and Jochen Hecht is available, that would be sweet.