• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

grade Trestman

C

cubzzzfanincali

While Gould probably should make that field goal, the decision sure was a head scratcher. 2 and 7...really?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst part of the field goal was that it missed by about a foot. If you have Forte run the ball four yards down the middle and Gould hits the exact same kick, we win.

Prior to today, I was willing to overlook his minor in-game gaffes because our offense looked so much better. Today wasn't a minor gaffe. It was a 9.2 on the Richter Scale. And if we had any shot at the playoffs, it likely is now gone because of it.

The in-game coaching better improve. I've put up with Lovie and Bielema, and Trestman made a mistake that was worse than either of those notoriously awful in-game coaches ever did.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have arguably, the best long-snapper and holder in the game....Forte was averaging over 5 ypc on that drive???

Has anybody seen the postgame presser yet? I would love to hear the explanation for that.

I just can't get over how fucking dumb that was!?

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have arguably, the best long-snapper and holder in the game....Forte was averaging over 5 ypc on that drive???

Has anybody seen the postgame presser yet? I would love to hear the explanation for that.

I just can't get over how fucking dumb that was!?

T-man said , We were in good FG range. And didn't want to chance a penalty,turnover, or lost yardage. Like what happened to Minny earlier. Not an exact quote, but close enough.
Had 100 V bucks riding on that kick. A kick Robbie probably makes 98-99% of the time.
Odds say T-man was right for making that call. And he does seem to be a #s guy.
Football people will question that call forever. I have to question it as well.
Would have liked to see a play run there. But who the hell knows what happens if a play is run.Gain Yardage,fumble,Int., Holding penalty that puts you out of range.
Robbie makes the kick, we aren't talking about this. But he missed it.
Just wish he'd have hit it (the last 1), like he hit the 66 yard attempt.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-man said , We were in good FG range. And didn't want to chance a penalty,turnover, or lost yardage. Like what happened to Minny earlier. Not an exact quote, but close enough.
Had 100 V bucks riding on that kick. A kick Robbie probably makes 98-99% of the time.

The numbers disagree with you there. It's more like 75% of the time for a kick between 45 and 50.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. Yeah, I still stand by my grade.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers disagree with you there. It's more like 75% of the time for a kick between 45 and 50.

It was just an estimate on my part.:noidea:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 weeks ago I gave him a solid B. He has regressed. solid C. Game time decisions and time management are horrible, just horrible. The last 3 games have shaken my believe in Trestman to the core. We give him the credit for the improved offense, but in reality the improved talent on offense is the real source. As proven by McCown.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 weeks ago I gave him a solid B. He has regressed. solid C. Game time decisions and time management are horrible, just horrible. The last 3 games have shaken my believe in Trestman to the core. We give him the credit for the improved offense, but in reality the improved talent on offense is the real source. As proven by McCown.

He'd be an excellent OC.

And maybe he'll get better with the in-game coaching.....I feel like he's trying to be too cerebral about it....maybe out-smarting himself?

I also thought it was kinda dumb to have him kick the 66 yarder, with Patterson back there, after giving up field position all game on squib kicks and the likes, trying to avoid him. So you don't have faith in your kick coverage unit to stop Patterson, but you have faith in a bunch of O-linemen to do it?

Seems like there's been at least one head-scratcher, every f'n week!?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall A solid B
OFFENSIVE----A+
DEFENSIVE----D
SPECIAL TEAMS----C

I LOVED THE CALL TO KICK IT ON 2ND DOWN

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall A solid B
OFFENSIVE----A+
DEFENSIVE----D
SPECIAL TEAMS----C

I LOVED THE CALL TO KICK IT ON 2ND DOWN

Care to elaborate, why?

A+ on the Offense is a little silly too. It's a vast improvement, but the last 5 weeks have been dismal on short yardage and in the redzone.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also Leo...I think there is a lot more to coaching than just the 3 phases you've mentioned.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again I agree with leomaz.

The defense (of all things) is banged up so much so that even other bad offenses are having their way with the Bears. There may not be enough time to change the scheme or culture of the defense to make up for the losses of Melton, Briggs and Peanut.

All season long, Trestman has preached about being conscientious of others on the team. And I believe that he really is a conscientious guy. That said, he would NOT come out and say that the Bears are weak on defense (and no coach would), but I would imagine that team weaknesses have to factor into some of the in-game decision making.

Lovie made poor decisions based on a weak offense. Trestman is doing the same with a weak defense.

Heard on the Waddle and Silvy radio show today: (paraphrasing) "Some of the best coaching decisions have ended badly, and some of the worst coaching decisions have ended well. The result isn't always the best indicator of the decision."

I agree.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I have tried really hard to not jump on the Trestman hate wagon for this call, trying to let my emotions run cold and analyze it rationally.

But I can't. It was just the wrong call. Trestman, basically, got horny for the win. The Minnesota defense line was tired! It was getting longer into the drive. If nothing else, keep running. Or tell Josh "be very, very careful." But going for a long 40something FG...just reeks of desperate horniness.

Sorry, it just does.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have tried really hard to not jump on the Trestman hate wagon for this call, trying to let my emotions run cold and analyze it rationally.

But I can't. It was just the wrong call. Trestman, basically, got horny for the win. The Minnesota defense line was tired! It was getting longer into the drive. If nothing else, keep running. Or tell Josh "be very, very careful." But going for a long 40something FG...just reeks of desperate horniness.

Sorry, it just does.

Well put.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This year he was 5 for 5-100 %, w/ kicks between 40-49 yards (before that last 1).
We can twist #s all day. The fact is Robbie is a pretty dependable kicker.
He missed the kick. Shit happens. Who's to say he doesn't miss it from 37 yards?
Just think it was meant to be. Should have that game a lot earlier.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were just so many other ways to win that game, that it shouldnt have come down to that kick, or the one before. The entire game was difficult to watch, with the exception of Alshon and Forte(at times).

Cali is right, it was riding the ego, and wanting to just take the win too early. Trestman made a bad call, but no guarantee kicking one on third or fourth was going to be good either, particularly if they couldn't move the ball.

Gould is about as dependable as it gets, and he missed it. Thats what happens sometimes, and especially to a team that just isnt that good right now.

I was hoping they would get better as the season goes on, but not likely at this point. I am going to chalk it up to injuries and new everything, and keep my fingers and toes crossed that both coaching and players get better. They need to address the defense desperately, and try and keep the offense together, and compete next season. If they could play spoiler to dallASS, that would make me smile at least.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were just so many other ways to win that game, that it shouldnt have come down to that kick, or the one before. The entire game was difficult to watch, with the exception of Alshon and Forte(at times).

Cali is right, it was riding the ego, and wanting to just take the win too early. Trestman made a bad call, but no guarantee kicking one on third or fourth was going to be good either, particularly if they couldn't move the ball.

Gould is about as dependable as it gets, and he missed it. Thats what happens sometimes, and especially to a team that just isnt that good right now.

I was hoping they would get better as the season goes on, but not likely at this point. I am going to chalk it up to injuries and new everything, and keep my fingers and toes crossed that both coaching and players get better. They need to address the defense desperately, and try and keep the offense together, and compete next season. If they could play spoiler to dallASS, that would make me smile at least.

Not so sure it was ego, as much as it was not trusting your team to not fuck up the game.
Agree w/ just about everything else.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like each of us has made their determination on how they view this.

Just thought I'd mention that I did hear an interview with Trestman, and he indicated that "Forte was gassed" in the overtime, which weighed on his decision. Just saying.