• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: Canucks at Bruins | 1pm ET | 1/7 | on NHLN

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing about it is Ballard got Mcginn with a hipcheck ... ie Ballard used his hip

Marchand didnt even throw a hipcheck ... he ducked down and led with his shoulder into salos lower body and then cleaned him out ... dont know if this has been mentioned cause I havent read this thread in its entirety (dont think i will either lol)

He did not even play the puck to get it out .. which you expect on that play ... chip it up the boards and out ... he feigns it and goes low

This is the main problem I have with the Ballard "hip check". He should have played the puck as it was rimming around the boards. However, just like Marchant, he knew there was a chance he was going to get smoked (i.e. - taking a hit to make the play). So instead of playing the puck, he "feigns it and goes low" (although admittedly, not as low as Marchand). It still wasn't a good hip check, he just basically bends his knees and puts his hands down on the ice. In no way shape or form was that a classic hip check in my humble opinion. It was a guy using an "oh shit" tactic after becoming aware he was about to get ripped. Most of the hip checks I've seen or been hit with, the guy comes in standing up with his hips out. Not getting low to flip someone over.

It's no big deal to me because McGinn plays on that same fine line that Burrows and Marchand play. I believe he had two 5 minute majors (or at least 2 VERY questionable hits) just last playoffs. The Sharks have also employed Bryan Marchment.....I was just trying to illustrate that every team has players or have had players who do stupid shit and annoy the hell out of other teams and their fans.

EDIT: also, sorry for not pointing out what times to look at in the video. I don't get youtube at my work :(

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the main problem I have with the Ballard "hip check". He should have played the puck as it was rimming around the boards. However, just like Marchant, he knew there was a chance he was going to get smoked (i.e. - taking a hit to make the play). So instead of playing the puck, he "feigns it and goes low" (although admittedly, not as low as Marchand). It still wasn't a good hip check, he just basically bends his knees and puts his hands down on the ice. In no way shape or form was that a classic hip check in my humble opinion. It was a guy using an "oh shit" tactic after becoming aware he was about to get ripped. Most of the hip checks I've seen or been hit with, the guy comes in standing up with his hips out. Not getting low to flip someone over.

by salo???

the guy hasnt thrown a bone crushing hit since 1998

ballard threw his hip at Mcginn and mcginns speed and eagerness to get in on a dman to throw a big hit was what caused the "yard sale" climax

i still say Marchand was shoulder first

Last edited by a moderator:

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no shoulder?
Marchand-Salo-hit1.jpg

I don't even see his shoulder (which is noticeably yellow in that jersey). And from that angle, we don't even know if contact is made yet, as Salo's skates are still on the ground. Move it a few frames forward when Salo comes off the ground, and you'll see him ride abdomen and ass all the way.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
also, maybe we should spend some time talking about this shot.

/drive for 1,000

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

/drive for 1,000

That impresses me a lot more than some of those dekes we see from Toews, Ryan, and the kids in Edmonton. Dude fucking smoked the best goaltender since Hasek with a straight slapshot off the bar - complete with sound effects.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

/drive for 1,000

dont trade him

do not trade him gillis

dont do it at all

dont think of it

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I don't even see his shoulder (which is noticeably yellow in that jersey). And from that angle, we don't even know if contact is made yet, as Salo's skates are still on the ground. Move it a few frames forward when Salo comes off the ground, and you'll see him ride abdomen and ass all the way.

and you're trying to be a lawyer?

bullshit. driving... at.... knees....
it was only Salo's last second turn that saved his knee/leg/ankle from being obliterated.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its the type of goal that beat the small self taught hack who played goal in the 80's NHL

not a vezina conn smythe winner from 2011

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It looks to me like his shoulder is leading the way.

Even if it isn't, this is not the posture of a player trying "avoid being hit". Not even close. He's driving through the hit, as can be evidenced by his coming out of the hit closer to the blueline than when the hit began.

As I've said before, it's dirty and worthy of a suspension, IMO. Maybe it isnt 800+ posts dirty :attention: but it's bad.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if theres no shoulder involved why is his head so close to the point of contact

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks to me like his shoulder is leading the way.

Even if it isn't, this is not the posture of a player trying "avoid being hit". Not even lose. He's driving through the hit, as can be evidenced by his coming out of the hit closer to the blueline than when the hit began.

As I've said before, it's dirty and worthy of a suspension, IMO. Maybe it isnt 800+ posts dirty :attention: but it's bad.

also can be evidenced by his arm action after the hit ... a kind of sweeping up and over movement

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by salo???

the guy hasnt thrown a bone crushing hit since 1998

ballard threw his hip at Mcginn and mcginns speed and eagerness to get in on a dman to throw a big hit was what caused the "yard sale" climax

i still say Marchand was shoulder first

Obviously, there's no way for anybody but Marchand to know what he was thinking. That said, if Marchand had been a little weasel with cheap shots to Salo prior, he may have thought that Salo was coming to lay the boom if he (Marchand) went to go play the puck.

Agreed. All I'm saying is, Ballard could have easily gotten to the puck first, he just didn't want to take the hit. Fair enough, but then why throw a very late hip check in a situation that didn't call for a hip check? Why not just put a shoulder into him at that point? He got really low. At one point it looks like both of his hands are touching the ice (again sorry, I don't have youtube at work). I also agree with McGinn's eagerness and speed causing the yard sale. I just thought Ballard had other options (play the puck and take the hit or just go shoulder to shoulder).

I agree with this as well. Marchand's a cheap little fuck. He takes every advantage of his diminutive size. In my humble opinion (although I didn't see the game, so take my opinion with a big grain of salt), Marchand thought if he played the puck, Salo was going to hit him.....so he resorted to going low and taking Salo out.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if the shoulder isn't in contact with Salo, how does Marchand flip him by standing up straight?

true he comes out of it standing straight up ... skating straight ahead

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
That impresses me a lot more than some of those dekes we see from Toews, Ryan, and the kids in Edmonton. Dude fucking smoked the best goaltender since Hasek with a straight slapshot off the bar - complete with sound effects.

2nd time he's done that this season.

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you're trying to be a lawyer?

bullshit. driving... at.... knees....
it was only Salo's last second turn that saved his knee/leg/ankle from being obliterated.

Driving... at... puck...

He was skating towards the puck at the boards. If you're saying that Salo's last second turn saved his knee/leg/ankle, then are you saying that he did not get clipped with a shoulder, because I thought that was your point here.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if the shoulder isn't in contact with Salo, how does Marchand flip him by standing up straight?

Momentum of Salo's force? Thats elementary physics.

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd time he's done that this season.

Badass. Does he do the Canucks accuracy shooting competitions by chance? He should take up the Kent Nilsson challenge and blast them from center ice.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Momentum of Salo's force? Thats elementary physics.

oh first bruins fans are doctors saying that salo doesnt have a concussion now theyre physicists explaining the mechanics of the hit lol

must be the MIT effect lol