• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #7 NE Patriots @ Buffalo Bills 11/1/2020 1:00PM CBS

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he "sold out" by spending in such a way that the devil would have to be paid in 2020. He did everything possible to get the rings in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018. He borrowed from Peter to Pay Paul and the four things that really cost him were:

1. Re-doing Brady's contract the slapped a $13.5M cap hit in 2020
2. Signing Josh Gordon and having him count after not being able to keep off the doope.
3. Antonio Brown's $8.5M cap hit after his meltdown

4. Making the trade for Sanu that cost a 2nd round pick that gave the team a zero return.

He said that stacking against the future cap made it impossible to resign Brady, Van Noy, Collins and others. He also said that it forced him to trade players for below value.

If you read between the lines, he gambled on quite a few things and many of them began to fail in 2019. Brady knew he was gone and wasn't going to risk injury at 42. The linebackers who left began to let up because they all saw the future and it wasn't in New England. The house of cards collapsed. This where a strong owner like Jerry Jones steps in and would take away the GM title from Bill and not insult him by not letting him have a voice in personnel.

I know that some of you think he's Jesus II and can do no wrong, but it's time for a new set of eyes.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he "sold out" by spending in such a way that the devil would have to be paid in 2020. He did everything possible to get the rings in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018. He borrowed from Peter to Pay Paul and the four things that really cost him were:

2. Signing Josh Gordon and having him count after not being able to keep off the doope.

4. Making the trade for Sanu that cost a 2nd round pick that gave the team a zero return.

He said that stacking against the future cap made it impossible to resign Brady, Van Noy, Collins and others. He also said that it forced him to trade players for below value.

If you read between the lines, he gambled on quite a few things and many of them began to fail in 2019. Brady knew he was gone and wasn't going to risk injury at 42. The linebackers who left began to let up because they all saw the future and it wasn't in New England. The house of cards collapsed. This where a strong owner like Jerry Jones steps in and would take away the GM title from Bill and not insult him by not letting him have a voice in personnel.

I know that some of you think he's Jesus II and can do no wrong, but it's time for a new set of eyes.
did u seriously just call jerry jones a better owner than kraft
thats the funniest thing i eva heard :suds:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jerry Jones wouldn't have gotten the rings though. He would have signed overthehill guys for twice what they are worth and screwed the Patriots over for the next 20 years.

Perhaps my interpretation of "selling out" is different than BBs but I failed to take into consideration the "deferred" money aspect in my assessment of him "selling out"

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones wouldn't have gotten the rings though. He would have signed overthehill guys for twice what they are worth and screwed the Patriots over for the next 20 years.

Perhaps my interpretation of "selling out" is different than BBs but I failed to take into consideration the "deferred" money aspect in my assessment of him "selling out"
not sure why people are hung up on deferred payments cause they dont matter Only thing that matters is the cap hit and thats for the length of contract only and if traded or let go it becomes the next years cap hit

New England gave Brady a $20.25 million bonus in 2019, and the void years allowed the cap hits to be spread out. In 2019, that bonus cost $5.5 million in cap dollars. Then, in 2020 and 2021, it would cost the Patriots $6.75 million each year unless he didn’t extend his contract before the start of the 2020 league year. If he decided to sign elsewhere, re-sign after the league year began, or quit the sport altogether, the $6.75 million cap hit from 2021 would accelerate to 2020.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure why people are hung up on deferred payments cause they dont matter Only thing that matters is the cap hit and thats for the length of contract only and if traded or let go it becomes the next years cap hit

New England gave Brady a $20.25 million bonus in 2019, and the void years allowed the cap hits to be spread out. In 2019, that bonus cost $5.5 million in cap dollars. Then, in 2020 and 2021, it would cost the Patriots $6.75 million each year unless he didn’t extend his contract before the start of the 2020 league year. If he decided to sign elsewhere, re-sign after the league year began, or quit the sport altogether, the $6.75 million cap hit from 2021 would accelerate to 2020.

I honestly don't know how the whole deferred payments work or anything like that. I was just saying maybe thats what BB ment by "selling out"

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just saying maybe thats what BB ment by "selling out"
He pretty much said that all things combined, he sold out to get the rings from 2014-2018. He included everything.

He was admitting that he was doing anything that he thought would help win. If Brady had stayed and other guys were willing to take less than market, the Patriots would most likely be at 6-1 right now. Eventually everything has to be paid. The perfect example is the way that the chiefs are screwing with Mahomes contract. Eventually the bill has to be paid and all of the screwing around becomes a giant weight. Extensions and reworking a contract and bonuses are great at the time, but down the road it all comes due. The smartest thing the league could do is say all contracts regardless, must be spread over the length of that contract and extensions or new contracts guarantee the remaining money on any contract due immediately and must count against that year's cap. So that $500M contract would be paid out at whatever the contract had remaining over the next ten years and anything paid would be counted immediately. No more $20M bonus that gets spread over five years. It would make contracts like baseball or basketball and guaranteed.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He pretty much said that all things combined, he sold out to get the rings from 2014-2018. He included everything.

He was admitting that he was doing anything that he thought would help win. If Brady had stayed and other guys were willing to take less than market, the Patriots would most likely be at 6-1 right now. Eventually everything has to be paid. The perfect example is the way that the chiefs are screwing with Mahomes contract. Eventually the bill has to be paid and all of the screwing around becomes a giant weight. Extensions and reworking a contract and bonuses are great at the time, but down the road it all comes due. The smartest thing the league could do is say all contracts regardless, must be spread over the length of that contract and extensions or new contracts guarantee the remaining money on any contract due immediately and must count against that year's cap. So that $500M contract would be paid out at whatever the contract had remaining over the next ten years and anything paid would be counted immediately. No more $20M bonus that gets spread over five years. It would make contracts like baseball or basketball and guaranteed.

He didn't mention the year he "went all in" for AB though

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't mention the year he "went all in" for AB though

In my opinion, he's lumping everything into one pot. There's a resignation that this team isn't able to perform up to his "normal" standards or expectations. he hasn't been faced with this lack of talent since 1999 and he's having a problem making the adjustment. That he was 47 years old and the energy level is a hell of a lot different at 48 than 68.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did u seriously just call jerry jones a better owner than kraft
thats the funniest thing i eva heard :suds:
Read it again........I didn't say "BETTER". I said, STRONGER. Kraft doesn't get involved unless it's money. Jones isn't afraid to stick his finger in a pile of poop.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, he's lumping everything into one pot. There's a resignation that this team isn't able to perform up to his "normal" standards or expectations. he hasn't been faced with this lack of talent since 1999 and he's having a problem making the adjustment. That he was 47 years old and the energy level is a hell of a lot different at 48 than 68.

He might be but from what I have heard he mentioned every year except ABs year... He certainly isn't able to make the adjustments anymore. Perhaps this truly was more Brady than BB..

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the whole BB we sold out comment, not sure how anyone can have an issue with this. B. Marshall was demanding BB explain himself, fuck him BB owes no one an explanation. The man has six SB with one team and one QB in the FA era, sold out sure, did we win yes. Ill take that any day

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the whole BB we sold out comment, not sure how anyone can have an issue with this. B. Marshall was demanding BB explain himself, fuck him BB owes no one an explanation. The man has six SB with one team and one QB in the FA era, sold out sure, did we win yes. Ill take that any day

I don't really see how he sold out anyway...

Patriots won period... Move on

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really see how he sold out anyway...

Patriots won period... Move on
Exactly he got paid to coach and manage and he won. Now it's time to rebuild, he had limited funds to work with a think a down season or two should be expected.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly he got paid to coach and manage and he won. Now it's time to rebuild, he had limited funds to work with a think a down season or two should be expected.

It will get even more interesting if they lose to the Jets

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before.
I never expected them to win the first SB.
Everything since 2001 has been gravy.
If they never make the playoffs again I will be happy because not only did they win one, they got historically good.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. that would be disastrous. But the Jests played well last week

Yes they did

Wonder if Donte Moncrief will make team and help out

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean Pees may disagree with that. An interesting little snippet.

That's a good read and makes sense. He trained Brady to be a coach.

My favorite Brady play was January 2004, Pats vs Titans divisional playoff game. Pats are on the Titans 6 yard line. Brady takes a step off center and fires it to David Givens. DB jumps the route for a pick six...

But Brady never threw the ball. Instead Givens raced into the end zone wide open for the easiest TD pass of his career. The play came down to preparation. They knew exactly (EXACTLY) what the DB would do on that play.

Brady would eat Troy Polamalu for breakfast the same way with pumps or play fakes designed especially for him. Again only preparation allows for that. It doesn't just happen.