• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Tracker

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odorizzi was hit in the chest by a line drive in his 4th start and missed the rest of the season. A couple of bad outings do not make a bad season.
He has been up and down in his career, but would be a decent #4 starter for nearly any team.
I would agree with that. He must want to be paid like a #2, I guess? Not sure why he’s still out there otherwise.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with that. He must want to be paid like a #2, I guess? Not sure why he’s still out there otherwise.

Odorizzi took the QO last year and bet on himself. Ultimately that was a bad decision. I think he sees guys like Alex Cobb get these big contracts and he knows he's better than that guy.

He just had the misfortune of having a disastrous season at the worst possible time.

Ultimately, he'll have to swallow his pride and settle for a prove it deal though.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you would rank Walker at the top for those 4 guys? I think I would, too.

Nah

Every last one of them is injury prone, Walker included.

I guess the fact that regardless of what they're paying him the Mets are only counting on him their #4 while the Yankees need Kluber to be a 2, the Sox need Richards to be a 1/2, ditto Paxton and the M's.

So there you go. I rank Walker as the least important to their respective team's 2021 success or failure.

:)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Front loading the Walker deal is smart as we'll need money to resign everyone moving forward and if he bombs out in year one they can cut bait. As the 4/5 guy in the rotation I'm not worried.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with that. He is a quality pitcher when he is healthy. Not sure of his status right now. The Twins moved on when his agent told them what the salary "demands" were.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Kluber-I have zero idea what to expect from a guy who's logged a grand total of 36 innings over the last 2 years. I know I sure as shit wouldn't have given him 11 million dollars.

Richards is a similar story-too much unknown for that kind of scratch. He hasn't made more than 16 starts in a season in 6 years.

Paxton I think was only $8M? He can be dominant if he's healthy, but he's never healthy.
You’ll have to explain the rationale behind that Kluber contract to me, because it just seems like a massive, unnecessary risk. First off, they cast aside Tanaka to sign Kluber and Tanaka was durable and reliable. But even if Kluber is healthy and an upgrade over Tanaka, how many innings can you realistically expect him to throw? 100 innings max? 15 starts??? I don’t see why you pay $11m for that. And I think after seeing what mid-range guys like Paxton actually signed for, it looks even worse. Definitely a puzzling move.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ll have to explain the rationale behind that Kluber contract to me, because it just seems like a massive, unnecessary risk. First off, they cast aside Tanaka to sign Kluber and Tanaka was durable and reliable. But even if Kluber is healthy and an upgrade over Tanaka, how many innings can you realistically expect him to throw? 100 innings max? 15 starts??? I don’t see why you pay $11m for that. And I think after seeing what mid-range guys like Paxton actually signed for, it looks even worse. Definitely a puzzling move.

I loved the hell out of Tanaka, so you will get no argument from me. Still pretty pissed they let him walk. Allegedly, Kluber turned down higher offers to sign with NY, but I don't know. Feels like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the hell out of Tanaka, so you will get no argument from me. Still pretty pissed they let him walk. Allegedly, Kluber turned down higher offers to sign with NY, but I don't know. Feels like a disaster waiting to happen to me.
Tanaka was a real stabilizer in the rotation. Kluber could be an ace, but we haven’t seen that guy in years and it seems like a major reach to think he could be that guy again. I guess all pitchers will be on some kind of program this year given how weird 2020 was, but Kluber has to build up after 2 years off, basically. Even if totally healthy, I wonder what his best case is for workload?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe he's 37. Seems like yesterday he was the Rays hot prospect.

If he's still throwing in the mid 80s, I'm guessing the comeback is not gonna go well.

I don't expect it to go well, he hasn't pitched in an MLB season since 2016 and he's in his late 30's. I didn't think he would make the first comeback either (he was also sitting in the 80's with the Angels).

I forgot they had a rotation of Shields/Garza/Kazmir/Jackson. I forgot about Jason Bartlett as well (he had a 132 OPS+ in 2009????)

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe he's 37. Seems like yesterday he was the Rays hot prospect.

If he's still throwing in the mid 80s, I'm guessing the comeback is not gonna go well.
Remember, Barry Zito's fastball seldom touched 90. Pitchers can get outs without having blazing fastballs. Command and control are more important than speed.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one reason I don't buy the Yankees as a major contender for the WS. They have Cole as their ace, and he is as good as any in the business, but they are counting on all the other guys to pitch to their ceilings, and if they don't make those goals, the team will struggle a bit. The bullpen is getting older and is not as reliable as it was.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one reason I don't buy the Yankees as a major contender for the WS. They have Cole as their ace, and he is as good as any in the business, but they are counting on all the other guys to pitch to their ceilings, and if they don't make those goals, the team will struggle a bit. The bullpen is getting older and is not as reliable as it was.

Meh. They're as good as anyone else in the AL. No one else is running the '71 Orioles rotation out there either.

If they stay healthy on the offensive side (huge if I admit) they'll simply outslug most other AL teams.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad he finally landed somewhere. Enjoy him Brewers fans, he's a fun player to watch!