• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Discussion Thread

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many Packers and how many Rams do you have on your bingo cards?

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two packers and 2 Rams

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are too many variables right now to really predict, especially with the potential acquisition of a QB that will dramatically affect the salary cap space. That being said I did do some looking at potential options.

The big name for Broncos fans that jumps out from the Rams is Von Miller. I don't know that he will be one of the guys, and I am not sure he should be. Von was here for a long time, and once he was traded a new leadership group took over, and the play of the defense actually improved. Bringing Von back after a few months in LA, may not be a good thing. If we do bring Von back, it may be inconjunction with acquiring a vetran QB.

There are other free agents that may require more money then Denver is willing to spend on the Donte Deayon might be a guy that we may look at, especially with 2 CBs likely leaving via free agency in Kyle Fuller and Bryce Callahan. Another guy might be Troy Reader with the limitated numbers at the ILB postions.

As for potentials free agents form Green Bay, I really don't see Donte Adams coming here, unless the new coaching staff does not have faith in Patrick and Sutton. Could see someone like Allan Lazard, Randle Cobb (likely to be released), or Marquez Valdes-Scantling if we trade Jerry Jeudy to acquire a QB. Dennis Kelly could be an option at RT, but I think Paton goes another direction.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect this to heat up right after the draft.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver has a fair number of free agents. I have listed them below my feelings on each:
Teddy Bridgewater - I don't see him returning here, he had his best year last year, but it wasn't good enough to win. WIth Hackett wanting to take deep shots, that really isn't Teddy's strength.
Melvin Gordon - I am open to him returning, but his asking price might be a bit high. Javante and Melvin made a great team. He may not be the best fit for outside zone scheme, but I think he could still be productive.
Bobby Massie - He may be an emergency option, but I would hope that we can find a younger option, especially with Paton's comments about finding a long term answer at the RT position.
Cam Fleming - I don't see him being retained.
Brett Jones - I don't think he is will be retained.
Eric Saubert - We will need to find a blocking TE, and I think he will considered.
Andrew Beck - We likely will use a FB, we will see if Beck is the direction the team wants to go.
Shamar Stephen - He was good on the Dline, I he could be retained.
Alexander Johnson - I think we add an ILB, but unsure if he will be the guy.
Josey Jewell - See Alexander Johnson.
Kenny Young - See Alexander Johnson.
Stephen Weatherly - He might be back with the depth issues at OLB, but will come down to coaching staff evaluations. I could see it going either way.
Bryce Callahan - He is great when healthy, but he is not able to stay healthy for a full year.
Kyle Fuller - I don't see him returning.
Nate Hairiston - CB depth is a concern, and he will be considered to be signed.
Mike Ford - I wouldn't mind if he is retained, he was one of the better coverage guys on Special Teams.
Kareem Jackson - I don't htink he returns. We ahve Sterns and he is most likely takes over as the starting Safety next to Simmons.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? What to heat up? Free agency starts on March 16. The draft is at the end of April.
Free Agency for us. I'm hoping they fill holes via the draft and then sign FA's to take care of spots they miss.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agency for us. I'm hoping they fill holes via the draft and then sign FA's to take care of spots they miss.
There’ll be some FA activity before the draft. Almost 100%.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In FA, I would try to sign Reddick for pass rusher, Young and either AJ or Jewell for IBer.

other needs Draft the rest

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’ll be some FA activity before the draft. Almost 100%.

Sure. Seems like there always is. And it's smart to sign guys in certain spots if for no other reason than to keep other teams from anticipating who you are going to draft. But I'm hoping we get some foundational players. We've got good picks in the first few rounds.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of which, what do you guys thing of Riley Reiff for either starting RT or swing Tackle if we draft a good one? He went out on IR last year with ankle problems after signing (basically) a 1 year deal with Cinnci.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of our FA's I would seek to keep Gordon, Jewel, and Stephen. The others like Young and Weatherly would be good depth signings but nothing more. I would look for at Morgan Moses or Reiff as good RT options. Moses is only 30 and played in a similar system with the Jets, but there will be competition to sign him.

If you want and Edge, Von is the best out there by a bit. He ranked 4th in PFF's grades for all Edge's in 2021. Dude still has it against the run and pass. He will be in the 15Million+ per range though. Otherwise for vets you are looking at Jones, Clowney (hard pass), Gregory (hard pass), Ingram etc... Von is the best of the bunch by a lot and clearly still has affinity for Denver. I doubt it happens though. May need to address that through the draft.

At CB I could see the team targeting Darious Williams since he is familiar with the coaches.

2Kback

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have issues with Von all of a sudden showing up better than he did here for the past few seasons. AD had a lot to do with his success.
Being on a team that is any sort of offensive threat was the biggest difference. Hell just this past season Von had 4.5 sacks and 9 QB hits in 7 games as a Bronco, then 5 sacks and 8 QB hits in 8 games as a Ram. Pretty much statistically identical, but with the Rams the rest of the team (especially the offense) was also contributing.

Those sacks, tackles, and hits seem a lot more impactful in closing out games when your offense is scoring 27 points.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being on a team that is any sort of offensive threat was the biggest difference. Hell just this past season Von had 4.5 sacks and 9 QB hits in 7 games as a Bronco, then 5 sacks and 8 QB hits in 8 games as a Ram. Pretty much statistically identical, but with the Rams the rest of the team (especially the offense) was also contributing.

Those sacks, tackles, and hits seem a lot more impactful in closing out games when your offense is scoring 27 points.
Yep, Von didn't get a top 5 grade for just his 8 games as a Ram, he played really well as a Bronco this year. I doubt he comes back, but man what a pleasure it was to have him for so many years.

2Kback

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Von didn't get a top 5 grade for just his 8 games as a Ram, he played really well as a Bronco this year. I doubt he comes back, but man what a pleasure it was to have him for so many years.
One of my favorite Broncos of all time. He's up there with TD, Atwater, Meck, Champ, etc.

I really want him to finish as a Bronco though, I hate watching legends fade away on other teams. I'm not a winning trumps all kind of fan though. Broncos players who are also good people are like friends to me, I want to root for people I like. I'd be a terrible GM from a business perspective, but my team would be full of cool people.

And really isn't being cool what life is all about?

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe.