• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2019

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have the cap space to pay him it was always a pipe dream.

They kicked the tires. But it was evident from his beef with the Seahawks last year he was looking for a big payday and wanted to be the highest paid safety in the league. I didn't think he was going to give any type of hometown discount. I am also not sure he is going to get what he is looking for either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trade down bring in Sweat or LT and a big CB!?!

Is Sweat near as good as Bosa?

Not combine good (measurable), but on field performance good?

If it is 'close enough', then it makes sense for a small trade down. But even a trade down seems like long odds, because if you're looking for Murray (Arizona took Bosa), you'd trade down with the Jets.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Sweat near as good as Bosa?

Not combine good (measurable), but on field performance good?

If it is 'close enough', then it makes sense for a small trade down. But even a trade down seems like long odds, because if you're looking for Murray (Arizona took Bosa), you'd trade down with the Jets.

I think there is a good dropoff after Bosa and Allen

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas ought to be our number 1 FA target this off season

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I completely agree...we have the cash to make it happen, and either Bosa or Williams could have an instant impact. We have a pretty decent stable of young players that are getting better if they can stay healthy. A lot can change in this draft with all the shade being throne in the first 5 picks, but now there are some really talented safteys on the market so we have some options there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think there is a good dropoff after Bosa and Allen

Yes, that is the impression i'm getting too. I know we're swayed by Sweat's combine numbers, but still think it is these two then a little drop off.

Taking this further, my take from reading is Bosa suits our 4-3 scheme period. Josh Allen suits a 3-4 scheme better, because he doesn't have as much rush technique. Plus, he can also drop back in coverage. So if a LEO is our goal....and no question it is....seems like it is Bosa or try to get a trade down?

TRY to trade down but under this scenario (Bosa went 1st), no one needs to trade up to #2? If i'm another team looking to trade up (Murray), i'd deal with the Jets or Raiders.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

As Shannahan said, we could look at almost any position in free agency, except QB. So whether we land someone like Thomas or other notables, not going to sweat it.

I've been saying for months, expecting us to sign a FA ER and WR. They might not be 'big names', but we'll add them prior to the draft. Teams don't like going into drafts with glaring holes, think Shannahan just said this too?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Shannahan said, we could look at almost any position in free agency, except QB. So whether we land someone like Thomas or other notables, not going to sweat it.

I've been saying for months, expecting us to sign a FA ER and WR. They might not be 'big names', but we'll add them prior to the draft. Teams don't like going into drafts with glaring holes, think Shannahan just said this too?
It's still a matter of where the Niners feel they are.
If they don't think they are ready to compete they won't spend big.
Not to be Captain Obvious but, Thomas would be the perfect fit for our D

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I completely agree...we have the cash to make it happen, and either Bosa or Williams could have an instant impact. We have a pretty decent stable of young players that are getting better if they can stay healthy. A lot can change in this draft with all the shade being throne in the first 5 picks, but now there are some really talented safteys on the market so we have some options there.

For me not going to worry about signing Thomas, i don't think we should. He had two serious leg injuries and is already old by NFL standards. Signing him is being short sighted IMO, cause you cut a young player, or miss an opportunity to add one via the draft.

We can fit him under the cap now, but in year 2 or 3, he walks away with dead money and hampers our cap just when we need it. in the next two years, we're supposed to be extending our own FA's, and we WILL have good players to extend.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's still a matter of where the Niners feel they are.
If they don't think they are ready to compete they won't spend big.
Not to be Captain Obvious but, Thomas would be the perfect fit for our D

Yes, it depends on where you think you are? Coming off a 4-12 season, i would think most people think we're still rebuilding vice play-off team.

Lynch is always looking to add FA's, but don't think he'll get into a 'bidding war'? This means the odds say we aren't signing guys like Thomas. No argument Thomas fits our scheme but my opinion, he's no longer in his prime. Paying prime cap money for less than prime, doesn't make sense?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it depends on where you think you are? Coming off a 4-12 season, i would think most people think we're still rebuilding vice play-off team.

Lynch is always looking to add FA's, but don't think he'll get into a 'bidding war'? This means the odds say we aren't signing guys like Thomas. No argument Thomas fits our scheme but my opinion, he's no longer in his prime. Paying prime cap money for less than prime, doesn't make sense?
The money is all up front.
Is he even 30?
I want to know if he's 100% back from breaking his leg

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The money is all up front.
Is he even 30?
I want to know if he's 100% back from breaking his leg

he is 29 now, 30 in May.

we won't really know if he's 100% back, that is the chance you take.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is 29 now, 30 in May.

we won't really know if he's 100% back, that is the chance you take.
They can bring him in so the doctors can take a look at him. Work him out to boot

Last edited:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that is the impression i'm getting too. I know we're swayed by Sweat's combine numbers, but still think it is these two then a little drop off.

Taking this further, my take from reading is Bosa suits our 4-3 scheme period. Josh Allen suits a 3-4 scheme better, because he doesn't have as much rush technique. Plus, he can also drop back in coverage. So if a LEO is our goal....and no question it is....seems like it is Bosa or try to get a trade down?

TRY to trade down but under this scenario (Bosa went 1st), no one needs to trade up to #2? If i'm another team looking to trade up (Murray), i'd deal with the Jets or Raiders.

Yes, from what I've read Allen is better suited to a 3-4 and in our defense the SAM position. I don't get swayed by combine numbers. It is good to have those physical attributes but those don't necessarily make for a good NFL player. We learned that from Baalke who fell in love with players at the combine.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me not going to worry about signing Thomas, i don't think we should. He had two serious leg injuries and is already old by NFL standards. Signing him is being short sighted IMO, cause you cut a young player, or miss an opportunity to add one via the draft.

We can fit him under the cap now, but in year 2 or 3, he walks away with dead money and hampers our cap just when we need it. in the next two years, we're supposed to be extending our own FA's, and we WILL have good players to extend.

That's a fair assessment...if he's asking top dollar then I say no. That said, maybe he would take a bit less to prove himself after his injuries and does what Sherman did...I know it's kind of a pipe dream, but I think he could make a huge impact if we play the draft right and get a solid edge guy as well as bolster our LB and CB corps. There are other options out there as well. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Weddle, he's still more than serviceable at this point of his career.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a fair assessment...if he's asking top dollar then I say no. That said, maybe he would take a bit less to prove himself after his injuries and does what Sherman did...I know it's kind of a pipe dream, but I think he could make a huge impact if we play the draft right and get a solid edge guy as well as bolster our LB and CB corps. There are other options out there as well. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Weddle, he's still more than serviceable at this point of his career.

Reportedly he wants to be the highest paid Safety again, and won't give his hometown Cowboys a discount. If that's true, given how he went over to the Cowboys lockerroom asking Garrett to come get him when he's a FA, I don't see how he becomes a Niner unless they fork over top dollar.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what Ricky said above is 100% accurate. I think for Thomas it is money first. He might want to play in Dallas but I bet he will go just about anywhere for anyone willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league. I still question whether he is going to get what he is asking for.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what Ricky said above is 100% accurate. I think for Thomas it is money first. He might want to play in Dallas but I bet he will go just about anywhere for anyone willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league. I still question whether he is going to get what he is asking for.[/QUO

So, just for clarification, I wouldn't want to pay top dollar for him as he's come off a few pretty devastating injuries, but if he checks out with the doctors he'd be more than worthy of a look. Dallas can't afford to pay him for sure. If we can get a lock down FS and a stud edge rusher in the draft it could change the D dramatically. That said, we'd need the O to come into the season healthy, ready to go, and maybe add a few pieces to compliment our current roster. I think we could have the potential to be a cagey dangerous team. Maybe not a Super Bowl contender but I think we can edge our way towards the playoffs with the potential of over achieving.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough decisions to make for sure. How much is the FO willing to spend? They are not going to be able to address all team needs through the draft so some holes will need to be filled through FA