• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Four games vs. Rays, June 4-7

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a lot of bad baseball in this town, but it's been a very long time since I remember being this SURE we wouldn't score runs with no one out and someone in scoring position. And I don't recall ever having a lineup with this many .200 and down hitters on the every day roster, but maybe I've just blocked those out or something?

It's just more frustrating this year than in those pre '95 days because you have the best pitcher in the AL and two of the supposed best hitters as well and this team just finds ways day after day to kill themselves.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, this season has been one of the most depressing I can remember in all the years I've followed this team.

100% agree. I've always been angry at this team for something every year, sans 2001, but this year has put me over the edge.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree. I've always been angry at this team for something every year, sans 2001, but this year has put me over the edge.
But being the dumbasses we all are, we will be right back here with hope next April.

Last year just gave us a taste, but it was little more than a tease. We just aren't used to having baseball worth watching here after the all-star break over the last decade plus.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But being the dumbasses we all are, we will be right back here with hope next April.

Last year just gave us a taste, but it was little more than a tease. We just aren't used to having baseball worth watching here after the all-star break over the last decade plus.

The frustrating thing is, on paper this team should be performing a lot better than it is. The talent is there, the results just aren't. There is an element of bad luck to it, but it doesn't completely explain the performance of the team. Robinson Cano is a huge problem. Had the Mariners not been lucky to a certain extent and Robinson Cano was hitting the way he hit last year, this team would be where we would've expected them to be.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If cano hadn't already mailed it in. If Ackley wasn't an official bust. If Zunino just learned to be serviceable. If Weeks wasn't weak. If Rodney didn't start sucking so badly on a consistent basis. If Miller could field cleanly. If Kuma wasn't so injury prone. If Walker pitched half as well as he did in spring.

The list goes on. This isn't just one failure. It's systemic.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If cano hadn't already mailed it in. If Ackley wasn't an official bust. If Zunino just learned to be serviceable. If Weeks wasn't weak. If Rodney didn't start sucking so badly on a consistent basis. If Miller could field cleanly. If Kuma wasn't so injury prone. If Walker pitched half as well as he did in spring.

The list goes on. This isn't just one failure. It's systemic.

Touche.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CG2TwP7UgAAON9k.jpg

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad Ackley isn't in the lineup. He's hitting .364/.462/.455 over his last 5 games. LOL :L

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lloyd never lets stats get in his way of managing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The frustrating thing is, on paper this team should be performing a lot better than it is. The talent is there, the results just aren't. There is an element of bad luck to it, but it doesn't completely explain the performance of the team. Robinson Cano is a huge problem. Had the Mariners not been lucky to a certain extent and Robinson Cano was hitting the way he hit last year, this team would be where we would've expected them to be.

That's what I don't get, what on paper makes you think they are better than what they are on paper. Cano and Jackson are really the only guys under performing what their baseball cards say. Haap is having an all star year, same with Felix, Seager is on par, Cruz is exceeding his card. The only part of the roster who isn't living up to the hype is the bullpen who were a bunch of eh's who put together a historically season last year. Rodney has been good but hasn't his entire career been 1 good year then a bad year then 1 good year etc.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I don't get, what on paper makes you think they are better than what they are on paper. Cano and Jackson are really the only guys under performing what their baseball cards say. Haap is having an all star year, same with Felix, Seager is on par, Cruz is exceeding his card. The only part of the roster who isn't living up to the hype is the bullpen who were a bunch of eh's who put together a historically season last year. Rodney has been good but hasn't his entire career been 1 good year then a bad year then 1 good year etc.

Have to agree with this and this isn't me in hindsight. I said it going into the year that adding Cruz to a team that needed 5 new starters was anything but improvement. Don't believe in the hype.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree with this and this isn't me in hindsight. I said it going into the year that adding Cruz to a team that needed 5 new starters was anything but improvement. Don't believe in the hype.

5 new starters so you bring in 3 to make a massive platoon that is altered by your high price free agent deciding to play the field :thumb:

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It accomplished exactly what the Mariners front office wanted though, asses in the seats.

The Mariners PR department does a masterful job every year of fooling an entire city/region into believing the team isn't shit. And they sell a ton of tickets because of it.

Winning is not a priority for the front office.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It accomplished exactly what the Mariners front office wanted though, asses in the seats.

The Mariners PR department does a masterful job every year of fooling an entire city/region into believing the team isn't shit. And they sell a ton of tickets because of it.

Winning is not a priority for the front office.

Could not agree more. Said it myself for years. It is run more as an attraction like Disney than a ball team. $$$

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the guy in charge of our drafting. I got a kick out of his playing career with the M's. He seems to like players like him:

The Mariners’ efforts to rebuild their farm system is even attracting attention in New York City, where scouts from that area selected Tom McNamara as this year’s recipient of the A.B. “Turk” Karam Award.

McNamara, 47, returned to the Mariners as their director of amateur scouting on Nov. 10, 2008 after working for the organization as an area scout from 1994-2000. He also played one season in the organization — 1988 at Short-A Bellingham, where he batted .224 in 50 games as a shortstop, third baseman and outfielder.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNamara on how they got Seager in the draft. Luck be a lady tonight;

"And sometimes you can jump around a little," McNamara said. "In 2009, we just had a gut instinct about [Kyle] Seager and we just took him. We didn't really have him in a spot on our board that said this guy is a third-round pick. It just felt right and we took him."