• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the Big Leagues - 2022

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's rough. He almost made it to spring training too. Teams seem a lot more likely to dfa a guy who did well, because the peripherals don't look good.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird. Did the same doctor that reviewed Correa's file also look at Vosler's? At least he's got a better shot of playing time with Cincinnati.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why they held on to him all winter, just to let him go when no one claimed him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all has been said and done, he might actually end up being a decent first round pick. Not that he did any of it with the Giants, but he did magically turn into Scutaro, so you can’t argue that…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not. -0.2 WAR on his career. Decent, long career, but not worthy of a first.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all has been said and done, he might actually end up being a decent first round pick. Not that he did any of it with the Giants, but he did magically turn into Scutaro, so you can’t argue that…

Maybe not. -0.2 WAR on his career. Decent, long career, but not worthy of a first.
I'm glad he's lasted this long. I'm just puzzled as to why he's lasted this long.

The Giants almost completely bombed that 1st round bonanza that year. If not for a certain cantankerous pitcher, it would have been a complete crap fest of a draft.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he's lasted this long. I'm just puzzled as to why he's lasted this long.

The Giants almost completely bombed that 1st round bonanza that year. If not for a certain cantankerous pitcher, it would have been a complete crap fest of a draft.
It WAS a complete whiff of a draft. It is just completely exempt from any criticism due to Bum and 10-14. But 5 firsts and all that comes out of it is 1 non-HOF solid pitcher taken at #10? Not a good track record.

Of course, Franchez and Scutaro were acquired in trades directly from that pool of 5, so…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It WAS a complete whiff of a draft. It is just completely exempt from any criticism due to Bum and 10-14. But 5 firsts and all that comes out of it is 1 non-HOF solid pitcher taken at #10? Not a good track record.

Of course, Franchez and Scutaro were acquired in trades directly from that pool of 5, so…
Hey, at least 4 of the 6 picks made it to the big leagues.

Edit: In the Giants' defense, that draft didn't produce many big leaguer stars from the 1st round at all. Only Josh Donaldson, David Price (1st overall pick) and Jason Heyward have a higher career WAR than Bumgarner. No way that the Giants could have drafted Price and Heyward was taken before the Giants' 2nd pick of that round was made but they had already picked Alderson and Fairley before Donaldson got drafted. Todd Frazier was the next highest WAR from that round and the Giants could have drafted him over Alderson, Fairley or even Noonan.

Now the 2nd round was where the real finds were at, and, ironically, the steal of the 4th round was made by the Padres with the pick that they got from the Giants.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were 23 players selected (and signed) who have put together a 10 WAR (BBRef) career. Bum, with the #10 pick, has accumulated 38.1 WAR to date, good for #7 in this draft (behind Hayward at 38.7 and Rizzo at 39.2). The only player taken before Bum with a better WAR was Price, taken #1 (45.5 WAR, good for 3rd in the draft). Only Hayward, taken at 14 would have been a reasonable, with 20/20, alternate pick there, but I like what we did.

The Giants next pick was at #22 when they took Tim Alderson. Alderson never got his cuppo, but he did turn into Franchez, so even though the pick itself, in a vacuum, was bad, the asset was used well. At this point in the draft, only Price, Hayward, Bum, Weiters (Baltimore, #5, 18.3 WAR) and Moustakas (KC, #2, 12.9 WAR) have been taken already. Reasonable better picks at this pick (again, with 20/20 hindsight factored in) would have been Todd Frazier (Reds, #34, 25.3 WAR), Rick Porcello (Det, #27, 18.8 WAR) and maybe Sean Doolittle (A’s, #41, 10 WAR).

They next picked at #29 when they took Wendell Fairley. Same position as #22, except Fairley was not traded for a key piece to a championship run.

#32 (Noonan), #43 (Williams) and #51 (Culberson).

Most of the “hits” from this draft were late-rounders.

Freeman - pick 78, 49 WAR
Donaldson - 48, 46.7
Stanton - 76, 44.7
Rizzo - 204(!!), 39.2
Kluber - 134, 34.7
Arrieta - 159, 22.8

in a blind, WAR-based redraft, the Giants would have ended up with Arrieta at #10, and Keith Moreland at #22. I didn’t pull players with less than 10 WAR, so I don’t know who we would have gotten with the other 3 picks.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were 23 players selected (and signed) who have put together a 10 WAR (BBRef) career. Bum, with the #10 pick, has accumulated 38.1 WAR to date, good for #7 in this draft (behind Hayward at 38.7 and Rizzo at 39.2). The only player taken before Bum with a better WAR was Price, taken #1 (45.5 WAR, good for 3rd in the draft). Only Hayward, taken at 14 would have been a reasonable, with 20/20, alternate pick there, but I like what we did.

The Giants next pick was at #22 when they took Tim Alderson. Alderson never got his cuppo, but he did turn into Franchez, so even though the pick itself, in a vacuum, was bad, the asset was used well. At this point in the draft, only Price, Hayward, Bum, Weiters (Baltimore, #5, 18.3 WAR) and Moustakas (KC, #2, 12.9 WAR) have been taken already. Reasonable better picks at this pick (again, with 20/20 hindsight factored in) would have been Todd Frazier (Reds, #34, 25.3 WAR), Rick Porcello (Det, #27, 18.8 WAR) and maybe Sean Doolittle (A’s, #41, 10 WAR).

They next picked at #29 when they took Wendell Fairley. Same position as #22, except Fairley was not traded for a key piece to a championship run.

#32 (Noonan), #43 (Williams) and #51 (Culberson).

Most of the “hits” from this draft were late-rounders.

Freeman - pick 78, 49 WAR
Donaldson - 48, 46.7
Stanton - 76, 44.7
Rizzo - 204(!!), 39.2
Kluber - 134, 34.7
Arrieta - 159, 22.8

in a blind, WAR-based redraft, the Giants would have ended up with Arrieta at #10, and Keith Moreland at #22. I didn’t pull players with less than 10 WAR, so I don’t know who we would have gotten with the other 3 picks.
It is weird to think that even the best players from this draft are mostly washed up or on a steep decline toward retirement (i.e. Arrieta, Donaldson, Kluber, possibly Rizzo).

Out of all the players in this draft, Freeman is the closest to a sure fire Hall of Fame career and even he would need at least a couple more really good years to be in consideration. Stanton certainly would be on that path had he not had so many injuries. Maybe Donaldson and Rizzo, if they can somehow resurrect their careers with a few more good seasons, but even that would be a stretch.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing that write up, I thought of an interesting method of doing a redraft analysis…

the team with the #1 pick can take anyone picked 1-10.
the team with the #2 pick can take anyone who was picked 1-11 (but not already redrafted).
the team with the #3 pick can take anyone who was picked 1-12 (but not already redrafted).
…..

the 2007 draft would look something like this…

#1 Rays (Price) - picking between Price and Bum. Price was better earlier (regular season-wise), but Bum is still useable today and has shown to be a true BIG GAME pitcher. Only 2 WAR separate them, so I will go with Bum going #1 overall.

#2 Royals (Moustakas) - Pretty much a no brainer. Only Weiters and Moustakas are even considered. Price goes #2 to the Royals.

#3 Cubs (Vitters) - Between Weiters and Moustakas. Neither are great options. Weiters has the defensive bonus AND and additional 6 WAR. Weiters goes #3 to the Cubs.

#4 Pirates (Moskos) - Jason Hayward, taken #14 originally, is eligible for the first time with this pick, and is an easy take here. The Pirates take Heyward #4.

#5 Orioles (Weiters) - cupboard is getting a bit bare already. The Orioles take Moustakas at # 5.

#6 Nationals (Detwiler) - Jarrod Parker

#7 Brewers (LaPorta) - Devon Mesoraco

#8 Rockies (Weathers) - Blake Beavins

#9 D-Backs (Parker) - Matt Dominguez

#10 Giants (Bumgarner) - Chris Withrow

#11 Mariners (Aumont) - JP Arencibia

#12 Marlins (Dominguez) - Ross Detwiler

#13 Indians (Mills) - Daniel Moskos (the only available player with a >0 WAR)

#14 Braves (Heyward) - Joe Savery (a -0.1 career WAR)

#15 Reds (Mesoraco) - Aaron Poreda

Basically from here out, it is just looking at whomever was drafted 10 spots later. A few highlights…

#17 Rangers (Beavan) - Rick Porcello

#22 Giants (Alderson) - no one of note

#24 Rangers (Main) - Todd Frazier

#44 Rangers (Ramirez) - Tommy Hunter (the 3rd actual hit for the Rangers in this redraft)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing that write up, I thought of an interesting method of doing a redraft analysis…

the team with the #1 pick can take anyone picked 1-10.
the team with the #2 pick can take anyone who was picked 1-11 (but not already redrafted).
the team with the #3 pick can take anyone who was picked 1-12 (but not already redrafted).
…..

the 2007 draft would look something like this…

#1 Rays (Price) - picking between Price and Bum. Price was better earlier (regular season-wise), but Bum is still useable today and has shown to be a true BIG GAME pitcher. Only 2 WAR separate them, so I will go with Bum going #1 overall.

#2 Royals (Moustakas) - Pretty much a no brainer. Only Weiters and Moustakas are even considered. Price goes #2 to the Royals.

#3 Cubs (Vitters) - Between Weiters and Moustakas. Neither are great options. Weiters has the defensive bonus AND and additional 6 WAR. Weiters goes #3 to the Cubs.

#4 Pirates (Moskos) - Jason Hayward, taken #14 originally, is eligible for the first time with this pick, and is an easy take here. The Pirates take Heyward #4.

#5 Orioles (Weiters) - cupboard is getting a bit bare already. The Orioles take Moustakas at # 5.

#6 Nationals (Detwiler) - Jarrod Parker

#7 Brewers (LaPorta) - Devon Mesoraco

#8 Rockies (Weathers) - Blake Beavins

#9 D-Backs (Parker) - Matt Dominguez

#10 Giants (Bumgarner) - Chris Withrow

#11 Mariners (Aumont) - JP Arencibia

#12 Marlins (Dominguez) - Ross Detwiler

#13 Indians (Mills) - Daniel Moskos (the only available player with a >0 WAR)

#14 Braves (Heyward) - Joe Savery (a -0.1 career WAR)

#15 Reds (Mesoraco) - Aaron Poreda

Basically from here out, it is just looking at whomever was drafted 10 spots later. A few highlights…

#17 Rangers (Beavan) - Rick Porcello

#22 Giants (Alderson) - no one of note

#24 Rangers (Main) - Todd Frazier

#44 Rangers (Ramirez) - Tommy Hunter (the 3rd actual hit for the Rangers in this redraft)
Very intriguing. I'm a bit of nerd with this stuff. I find it fascinating to go back and do re-drafts, with novel ways to limit who gets picked.

Based on your rules, wouldn't Heyward not be available to be drafted until the #5 pick? The #4 pick should only be able to pick up anyone until the 13th actual pick.