• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the Big Leagues - 2022

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quintana and Wheeler had quite the pitchers' duel going in the first 6 innings of today's Philly-StL game. When they both exited the game, it was tied 0-0 in the 7th. However, both bullpens have had meltdowns and it is 6-3 Philly in the 9th.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another former Giant, Luis Castillo, just got pulled in the 8th inning against Toronto. We'll see if Seattle can keep the 4-0 lead. Heck of game by Castillo.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marco, good to have you back on here. I believe that cal (as are most of us) are a bit perplexed at the timing of how the sequence of transactions goes down. Some guys seem to get dfa'd and immediately outrighted to AAA. Others have to wait 5 days (or 3 days or 2 days, it seems to change regularly) to go through waivers, after being dfa'd, before the outright assignment can happen.

I'm pretty sure that players can just be released at any time by the team. However, the team DOES have to honor any contract it has with the player (with a few nuances, of course).

The reason for DFAing a player is that it opens up a 40-man roster spot, which can be filled immediately. It also gives the team a small window of time to try to negotiate a trade BEFORE the player is put on waivers. If no interest is shown by other teams after 2-3 days, the team may just release the player (if they didn't have any plans on keeping the player anyhow). Most minor league players get paid SH1T. Exceptions : (1) anyone on the 40-man is "a major leaguer", even if temporarily in the minors and is much better paid, and (2) ANY player with even just one day of major league service time (on that particular team if they signed a minor league contract) get paid a LOT more than a "regular" minor leaguer not on the 40-man. So they get dumped if the team really doesn't see much chance that they will be at least a "replacement - level" player.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and "outrighted" means "place on outright waivers" - meaning they ARE on the waiver wire. They are DFA'd first to open up a spot on the 40-man. The reason that some players don't immediately get outrighted is because the team sees some glimmer of hope of making a trade.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and "outrighted" means "place on outright waivers" - meaning they ARE on the waiver wire. They are DFA'd first to open up a spot on the 40-man. The reason that some players don't immediately get outrighted is because the team sees some glimmer of hope of making a trade.
It may be colloquial but websites like MLBTradeRumors say things like "Player A has cleared waivers and has been sent outright to AAA team". Interestingly, MLB's website talks about the process a bit like that on their explanation for "DFA" but not so much on their explanation for "outright waivers".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someone has already posted this, but I just saw that Young Beeduh is a FA.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be colloquial but websites like MLBTradeRumors say things like "Player A has cleared waivers and has been sent outright to AAA team". Interestingly, MLB's website talks about the process a bit like that on their explanation for "DFA" but not so much on their explanation for "outright waivers".

Yes. Sorry if I wasn't clear. A player is DFA'd. The team has a small number of days to make a deal with ANY team. After that time he is placed on waivers : non-revocable outright waivers (or he can simply be released, as he can at any time). At that point he is "on the waiver wire" and waiver rules apply (who gets first shot, how much will be paid, etc). If the player clears waivers (no claim) then he is outrighted to the minors (well, unless he has a certain minimum amount of MLB service time, OR he has already been outrighted once before in his career, at which point he can decline assignment and become a free agent).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow…

Boch signs a 3-year pact with the Rangers.
I knew that there were conversations but nothing formal. I guess, for the Rangers, it didn't have to be formal. Good for Bochy. Dusty Baker, meanwhile, doesn't even have a contract for 2023 yet and he's led the Astros to the playoffs all 3 years he's been their manager. I know that he isn't always loved among the Giants' fanbase but the dude wins everywhere he goes. I would guess that Houston is taking it year by year because of his age.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He clearly had a big year. And when he was with us, he was effective. But I think he is really just a 4/5/Swing guy. The doggies are crazy for considering extending him a QO.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He clearly had a big year. And when he was with us, he was effective. But I think he is really just a 4/5/Swing guy. The doggies are crazy for considering extending him a QO.
meh, not a lot of downside risk for them. He walks, they get a pick. He accepts, they have a one year deal. Opportunity cost, sure, but they have all the money

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Spanks have added Matt Krook to the 40

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Spanks have added Matt Krook to the 40
He didn't look too good in the Rays' organization but has done better since landing with the Yankees. Good for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reyes Moronta was non-tendered by the Snakes
Sam Coonrod signed a 775k deal with the Philth.
Tyler Heineman was non-tendered by the Bucs
Trevor Gott and Jandel Gustavo was non-tendered by the Brewers