• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Forbes piece estimates most overpaid players

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Williams and Larry Fitzgerald are among the league's most overpaid players according to the analysis presented here:

The NFL's Most Overpaid Players - Forbes

The article also contains a link to a list of the most underpaid players according to the methodology described in the piece. Notable among these players are James Harrison and Ahmad Bradshaw.

One thing I really like about this piece is how it gives more precise meaning to the so often used "overrated" and "underrated", both of which are unduly sensitive to just who is doing the rating. Here, although there is room for disagreement about the correct method for determining a player's value, at least we know that players are rated according to what they are paid. This is very different than talking about how underrated or overrated a player is when some in the discussion are rating that player, for example, on the number of SB rings that "he" has won.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like they have a major thing against Fullbacks

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Paul Kruger
Linebacker, Cleveland Browns
Average salary: $8.097 million
AV per 16: 2.7
Ravens made a good move getting out of the way of that one.

catchbluefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with just about everyone on the list except maybe Larry Fitzgerald. Yes he is getting paid an enormous amount given his production but I think the biggest problem with his production is who they have pretending to throw to him. Some of you out there may not think much of stafford but exactly how good would megatron be if he had guys like kolb, skelton or lindley to play throw and catch with.

Also, if fitz wasn't there, what other reason would fans bother to go to cardinal's games?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with just about everyone on the list except maybe Larry Fitzgerald. Yes he is getting paid an enormous amount given his production but I think the biggest problem with his production is who they have pretending to throw to him. Some of you out there may not think much of stafford but exactly how good would megatron be if he had guys like kolb, skelton or lindley to play throw and catch with.

Also, if fitz wasn't there, what other reason would fans bother to go to cardinal's games?

The author acknowledges that Fitz isn't what's depressing his value, but rather the problems AZ has had with it's offense has lessened his value. His value would certainly have been higher a few years ago when Warner was the QB.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol @ the Vikes. I've never actually seen the approximate value (AV) stat, before - it 'moneyballs' the players.

I don't know much about sabermetrics. The objective is interesting, but it is so ambitious to try to objectively quantify just "how good" a player is or isn't that I'm somewhat skeptical about the ability to do so. Seems to me, based on the description of how AV is computed that is linked in the Forbes piece, one begins by subjectively assigning ranks to a set of players. Obviously, any resulting AV values, then, are sensitive to this initial subjective ranking.

KillaWatt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldnt believe buffalo was willing to pay mario 100 mil.
When he went out with the pec injury and the Texans D didnt skip a beat.......dont let the door hit you in the ass mario.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzgerald is the best receiver in the NFL. He doesn't belong here, lack of help or not.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldnt believe buffalo was willing to pay mario 100 mil.
When he went out with the pec injury and the Texans D didnt skip a beat.......dont let the door hit you in the ass mario.

Seems to me that the Houston front office was very smart about letting Mario get away. He had been very productive there. I'm sure that his "value" from 2005-11 was much greater than it is today.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzgerald is the best receiver in the NFL. He doesn't belong here, lack of help or not.

The piece attempts to measure a guy's production relative to what he gets paid. Good as Fitz is, his production last year was not up to what he was paid.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what it doing, but a list that includes Larry Fitzgerald as one of the most overpaid guys in the league is hard to take seriously.

catchbluefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that the Houston front office was very smart about letting Mario get away. He had been very productive there. I'm sure that his "value" from 2005-11 was much greater than it is today.

The guy reminds me of Shawn Merriman. I don't know if you is going to be as much of a waste of money this year that he was last year but I am pretty certain that the bills are never ever getting anywhere near the value that they thought they were paying for.

KillaWatt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. But he was known for taking plays off. Hell,he was known for taking whole games off,even in his younger years.
Kind of sad really. The guy was a physical freak when he wanted to be.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy reminds me of Shawn Merriman. I don't know if you is going to be as much of a waste of money this year that he was last year but I am pretty certain that the bills are never ever getting anywhere near the value that they thought they were paying for.

I don't know. Seems to me that Williams was less of a 'flash in the pan" than Merriman was. Williams was also less one-dimensional. As far as Buffalo never getting it's money worth, you may be right about that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Mario Williams? That's ridiculous. He's worth every cent he's making. The dude is one of the most dominant defensive players in the league.

I was expecting to see Connor Barwin , Percy Harvin & Michael Vick.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Williams? That's ridiculous. He's worth every cent he's making. The dude is one of the most dominant defensive players in the league.

I was expecting to see Connor Barwin , Percy Harvin & Michael Vick.

I think that maybe what drives William's ranking is mostly that he was the eighth highest paid player in the league (in terms of average salary over three years), yet Buffalo's defense gave up more points than all but six teams in the league. Since he is perhaps the best player on that defense, he is assigned a large "value share" for that bad defense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think that maybe what drives William's ranking is mostly that he was the eighth highest paid player in the league (in terms of average salary over three years), yet Buffalo's defense gave up more points than all but six teams in the league. Since he is perhaps the best player on that defense, he is assigned a large "value share" for that bad defense.

Mario Williams is at least one of the 8 most valuable defensive players in the league (The Bills sucking notwithstanding).

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Williams is at least one of the 8 most valuable defensive players in the league (The Bills sucking notwithstanding).

I don't think that you are using "value" in the same sense that it's used in the article, where it is supposed to measure how good a player makes his team. If I understand the methodology correctly, it is because Williams is the best player on a bad defense who is also among the highest paid players in the league that he is considered "overpaid".

catchbluefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was not in the top 50 defensive players last year and even if he was in the top 8 he would not have the impact to justify his salary:lol: