• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Forbes piece estimates most overpaid players

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think that you are using "value" in the same sense that it's used in the article, where it is supposed to measure how good a player makes his team. If I understand the methodology correctly, it is because Williams is the best player on a bad defense who is also among the highest paid players in the league that he is considered "overpaid".

Then that's a flawed methodology. If JJ Watt played for the Raiders he's still be the most valuable defensive player in the league even though the Raiders would still be terrible.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The piece attempts to measure a guy's production relative to what he gets paid. Good as Fitz is, his production last year was not up to what he was paid.

I suppose the cards have to give their money to someone..Fitz is certainly the most deserving on that entire team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He was not in the top 50 defensive players last year and even if he was in the top 8 he would not have the impact to justify his salary:lol:

So a guy who got 10.5 sacks last year despite playing injured for a good portion of the season isn't even a top 50 defensive player by your ratings? The same guy who's impossible to move in the running game?

Mario's
a beast. People get ideas about players in their heads because of dumb commentary or a couple bad games or something (like playing injured) and they no longer look at them objectively.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a guy who got 10.5 sacks last year despite playing injured for a good portion of the season isn't even a top 50 defensive player by your ratings? The same guy who's impossible to move in the running game?

Mario's
a beast. People get ideas about players in their heads because of dumb commentary or a couple bad games or something (like playing injured) and they no longer look at them objectively.

I still don't think that you understand the way that "overpaid" is used here. Don't you think that Buffalo could have paid another DE in the league much less money and still have been among the worst defenses in the league? Despite the huge salary the Bills paid Williams, their defense was not very productive. Hence, the money poorly spent on Williams is what is meant by he is "overpaid".

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I still don't think that you understand the way that "overpaid" is used here. Don't you think that Buffalo could have paid another DE in the league much less money and still have been among the worst defenses in the league?

I get what you're saying, which is why I said that was a flawed rationale (if that's what Forbes is saying).

That's like saying every player o the Chiefs is over-paid because they could have just as easily paid 53 women the league minimum & gotten the same outcome last season.

In terms of individual valule divided by $$$ paid for him, Mario is not over-paid by any means.

catchbluefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mario's

You are a good poster niner but in 2011 carter Anderson both got 10 sacks for the pats and they both made less than 2 million. You need to get some perspective.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You are a good poster niner but in 2011 carter Anderson both got 10 sacks for the pats and they both made less than 2 million. You need to get some perspective.

And I'll bring some to this post. Just because someone else has gotten 10 sacks making far less money doesn't mean Mario isn't worth every cent he's making. Also, Carter & Anderson are nowhere near as good as Mario. Mario's been one of the most dominant defensive players in the league every year he's been playing. He's better against the run; he takes on more double teams; he's better at setting the edge & forcing guys away from him, etc.

Obviously some team can hit the jackpot and het 15 sacks from an UDFA who makes less than a million dollars as a rookie. That doesn't mean some other guy making 8 million is over-paid for the same kind of production; it means that team just got lucky. Or it was a fluke; Carter & Anderson don't put up double digit sacks every year. The Pats didn't even want to keep them, and Anderson just got cut if memory serves.

Now I'm not claiming Mario is under-paid; he's being paid just about what his production dictates.

Overpaid is like a WR who makes 10 million dollars for getting like 700 yards in a season or a CB making 8 million while only playing in nickel packages. Usually those guys get cut really quickly, but if the problem is guaranteed money they sometimes stick around to the scorn of his fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, which is why I said that was a flawed rationale (if that's what Forbes is saying).

That's like saying every player o the Chiefs is over-paid because they could have just as easily paid 53 women the league minimum & gotten the same outcome last season.

In terms of individual valule divided by $$$ paid for him, Mario is not over-paid by any means.

I don't think it is.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's the thing about Mario: his contract was near record-setting (but that usually happens when all-pro' caliber guys hit the URFA market because the cap keeps going up). He had a slow start of his first season in Buffalo (due to injury), so they get it stuck in their heads that he's over-paid. They aren't looking at him objectively. A player of his production is worth every bit of that boat load of ca$h he's making.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco will make that list for next year..:laugh3:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Flacco will make that list for next year..:laugh3:

I was just going to mention Flacco (people erroneously think he got too much money). To those who think he's over-paid, how much money is a QB of his caliber worth? How much money would you have offered him?

I'll bet nobody answers with a number.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have done around $90mil over 6-years. $100 at the most. He's a decent QB, but he's not as established as they pay him to be. If they had gotten the deal done last season they would have gotten away with $100m easy. But since they waited and he brought in a Lombardi, that gave him the upper hand in negotiations. But back to the $100m/yr deal... Remember what Flacco had accomplished before last season? 4-5 Seasons of playoffs is a good repertoire, but hasn't Dalton done almost the same exact thing? Imagine, if you will, if they paid Andy Dalton $100m/6years because of the same feats? Obviously he would receive a lot more flack for it because he's on an arguably lesser team.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also take Eli Manning for instance... He had the same body of work as Flacco before the SB win. And they made Eli a 97.5m/6yr deal after doing the same thing Flacco just did... Food for thought

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You realize that's less money than Tony Romo got right?

I don't think people get exactly how obscenely valuable a franchise QB is.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being a longstanding fan of the Steelers.. I have watched Flacco for a long time and seen his highs and lows... And I can honestly say that I would take Romo over Flacco any day! It may sound obscene from an outside the AFCN point of view, but trust me, if Romo had the O-line and defense that Flacco had carrying him all these years... Romo probably would have done more damage. I'm not taking anything away from Flacco's postseason last year, because he made me more of a believer. But prior to that, he couldn't get a win on the road to save his life. Just look at his road stats last season. They were pretty pitiful, save a few decent outings.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can always admit when I'm wrong... So if Joe "99¢ Cheeseburger" Flacco makes it to the playoffs this season without the leadership he had last season (Lewis, Reed, Birk, etc.), then I will be on board. I wish him the best, but for the time being he is highly overpaid IMHO!

And not to mention Romo is one of the more efficient passers in the league. I think his QBR was top 5 last couple seasons. I know, I know, QBR is meaningless without the wins. But a win or loss doesn't rest solely on a QB's shoulders. If he has an efficient day, but still loses, that should mean something!

Last edited by a moderator:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I think Romo sucks. Just too inconsistent and makes too many mistakes that cost his team too many games. I don't see Romo ever QBing a team to better than a 10 win season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think Romo sucks. Just too inconsistent and makes too many mistakes that cost his team too many games. I don't see Romo ever QBing a team to better than a 10 win season.

I hate to be this guy... But a stat whore needs to intervene... Last season Tony Romo was 3rd in yardage, and had a higher completion percentage than Brady, Brees, and Stafford... Rodgers was barely ahead of him in that category.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he personally handed away their playoff chances in the final week.

Surely his paycheck should buy better than that.