• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fisher Names Keenum Starter next year..

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, now it's the QB coaches fault for Goff looking lost out there?

Is it also the coaches fault that he isn't learning the playbook as well?

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, now it's the QB coaches fault for Goff looking lost out there?

Is it also the coaches fault that he isn't learning the playbook as well?

Who do you think is helping him along in his development? The cheerleaders? It's not like we've had great QB play under Fisher, let alone seen his staff develop any offensive players. So yeah, it is the GD coaches fault for not preparing him properly.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think is helping him along in his development? The cheerleaders? It's not like we've had great QB play under Fisher, let alone seen his staff develop any offensive players. So yeah, it is the GD coaches fault for not preparing him properly.

Cheerleaders are helpful:clap:. But seriously I heard he is having trouble calling out the plays in the huddle with all the verbiage. but hopefully it will just take some more time.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita you know darn well that Fisher was putting Goff ahead of Mannion all preseason to give him every opportunity with the 1's or 2's to show what he had. That's what they do for #1 overall picks that they trade the farm for. And after 4 games, Fisher even said "he's not ready". "At this point, Mannion is ready to back-up Keenum".

Really really weak QB class. Will Dak save the day?
Just messing with Coug a bit. I'm like you, sit your greenies until there ripe. With a QB, especially these days, it is even more apparent.

Dak may be the exception, but I doubt it. I think he struggles early on.

Overall, time will tell SJ and in time he could turn out to be the long term answer in Big D.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Goff's "rating" was as high as Jameis and Mariota's?

Watson is good but he's not those guys good yet. Could change though. Clemson has a chance to be one of the best offenses in college football history this year.

It was. Where did I say it wasn't?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the last #1 pick not to start?? probably Jamarcus Russell :L You don't give up that many draft picks and not assume he's going to be an impact player from day one.

History of Rookie NFL Quarterbacks starting Week 1 | Fox News

How many 7-9 teams were picking their QB #1 overall? It's not the typical situation.

Anyone who paid attention during the draft and after heard just about every talking head say these rookie QBs would need time to learn. Not sure why we need revisionist history now that Goff does indeed need time.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just messing with Coug a bit. I'm like you, sit your greenies until there ripe. With a QB, especially these days, it is even more apparent.

Dak may be the exception, but I doubt it. I think he struggles early on.

Overall, time will tell SJ and in time he could turn out to be the long term answer in Big D.

It will be interesting to see how differently Dak plays when teams are preparing for him and not just using a vanilla defense. Not sure the Giants are going to be a great barometer, but interesting none the less.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of teams with average starting QB's, there are even more shitty back up QB's out there, the league is full of them!
That's why I have a problem moving up to take an average QB in a weak QB class?
Is he heads above the other QB's taken, remains to be seen, but I don't think so. Being a Ram fan and being the case that Goff is who we took, I hope it turns out?

"Franchise QB's" are suppose to have all the tools and "should" be ready from day one, if not close to being ready, Goff obviously isn't any of that right now, which tells me he is not a franchise type QB..

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Franchise QB's" are suppose to have all the tools and "should" be ready from day one, if not close to being ready, Goff obviously isn't any of that right now, which tells me he is not a franchise type QB..
I disagree with this 100% but what's new, eh Smed?

The best QB prospects for NFL teams to draft are coming from spread offenses. This puts them miles behind and they can learn on the job like Winston and Marcus or they can sit until they are proficient at doing the same job in a completely different manner.

Again, it's not his talent that has him out for Week 1, it's all the nuances that he will pick up in time.

I don't know if he will be a Franchise QB or not at this early stage of his young career, but to your point that he 'should' be ready tells you he's not a franchise type QB is extremely pessimistic even for you.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this 100% but what's new, eh Smed?

The best QB prospects for NFL teams to draft are coming from spread offenses. This puts them miles behind and they can learn on the job like Winston and Marcus or they can sit until they are proficient at doing the same job in a completely different manner.

Again, it's not his talent that has him out for Week 1, it's all the nuances that he will pick up in time.

I don't know if he will be a Franchise QB or not at this early stage of his young career, but to your point that he 'should' be ready tells you he's not a franchise type QB is extremely pessimistic even for you.

Well Vita, true, i may be pessimistic, I like to look at it as being more realistic! I don't get paid to evaluate QB's, but sure seems like the guys that do get paid, aren't much better at than I am, and thats what they do 24/7?

sorry, but franchise QB's don't come along every year, let alone every few years, yet so called experts or goofy coaches want to anoint guys that are no where near franchise type QB's.

The ten previous drafts before this years, 26 QB's were taken in the first round, 6 of them #1 overall, of those 6, I would consider Newton as a Franchise type QB. Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, very good QBs. Young, Cutler, Bradford, Griffen, Tannehill are serviceable. Luck, Bortles, Winston, Marriota, good young QB's, not neccessarily Franchise types though, although I think one or more could turn into one? The rest are no longer in football, or are horrible, that's half the QB's taken in the first round. Basically, seems to be a hit or miss if you can find a good QB?

So of the 6 taken #1, you have Newton as a franchise type, Stafford good, Winston and Luck good young QB's, with possibility, Bradford, serviceable, and Russel a bust.

And that's why you shouldn't give up picks to move up!!!!!

I look at Goff and I see him as somewhere in the middle of those 26 QB's drafted in the previous 10 years, certainly not a "Franchise" type QB. I seriously hope I'm wrong, just not seeing it, at this point I would settle fir a good QB.

Sadly the year before there were 3 Franchise" Type QB's

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita, Also to your point about the best QB prospects coming from spread offenses, exactly! college defenses are not that great overall, every weekend teams are putting up 50-60-70 points.

Of the top 26 College QB's of all time in passing yards, THREE are currently on the Rams roster! Only one, Phillip Rivers, has been a legitimate starting QB in the NFL. You can throw the ball all over the place in college, more times than not it doesn't translate to the NFL

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Vita, true, i may be pessimistic, I like to look at it as being more realistic!
There's our difference, you're realistic IMO is more of a pessimistic attitude.

sorry, but franchise QB's don't come along every year, let alone every few years, yet so called experts or goofy coaches want to anoint guys that are no where near franchise type QB's.
We don't disagree here, but they don't come with a 'tag' on them, these teams have to evaluate them as a prospect of becoming a franchise QB.

The ten previous drafts before this years, 26 QB's were taken in the first round, 6 of them #1 overall, of those 6, I would consider Newton as a Franchise type QB. Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, very good QBs. Young, Cutler, Bradford, Griffen, Tannehill are serviceable. Luck, Bortles, Winston, Marriota, good young QB's, not neccessarily Franchise types though, although I think one or more could turn into one? The rest are no longer in football, or are horrible, that's half the QB's taken in the first round. Basically, seems to be a hit or miss if you can find a good QB?
Well here is another difference that I believe speaks to the definition we each hold regarding Franchise QB's. I don't think a Franchise QB is an elite QB, or a Star QB in the NFL, nor a HOF QB. To me a Franchise QB is a QB you want long term to be the guy that can win you games week in and week out and can win the big one given the opportunity. That is the definition of Flaco IMO, so we see the title a bit different.

you shouldn't give up picks to move up!!!!!
Oh God yes Smed!

This is where we totally agree, they may strike it right, but the odds are against them. We don't disagree here.

I look at Goff and I see him as somewhere in the middle of those 26 QB's drafted in the previous 10 years
This may be a better assessment than most would give him from his actual performance on the field to this point, so you too are judging potential. How about we look at his actual performances in a game that matters when he is actually ready to take the field by storm and be all he can be? We don't need him in there learning on the job. We didn't need Sean last year doing that and look how far he's come. Let's give these guys, who are expected to do so much, who have so much riding on their every decision the time to grasp the details 100% before they take the field.

Sadly the year before there were 3 Franchise" Type QB's
Aren't you contradicting yourself there Smed? You just said they are on the fence and now you are saying they are 'Franchise Type' QB's. :L

Vita, Also to your point about the best QB prospects coming from spread offenses, exactly! college defenses are not that great overall, every weekend teams are putting up 50-60-70 points.
And this is exactly why teams need to 'evalute' and 'project' the variances in talent. When the defense are on, are they threading the needle? How are they on a short field, in the redzone? Are they making NFL type throws or not. These, among others are the things that are studied, evaluated and discussed ad nauseum among themselves that you are not in the loop. Maybe if you were, you would feel differently.

You can throw the ball all over the place in college, more times than not it doesn't translate to the NFL
Well there's the understatement of the year. If you could translate them things Smed, it would be easy peasy. So you take those factors as a baseline and you build your evaluations and projections on that.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita, I was talking about the year before 10 years ago, Manning, Rivers, and Big Ben, my bad!

And again there are more misses, than hits, and these guys live and breath this shit, yet I along with alot of fans on here can hit and miss about the same as the so called experts! There just seems to be way to many head scratching decisions as far as talent goes on this team?

That's fine if Goff sits, but it has to be deflating to his ego to not even dress for this game. I was just watching Around The Horn, they said this is the first #1 drafted QB not to dress in the first game since Jamarcus Russell.

My take is, fine let him sit, but if we are way up, or getting smoked and the game is over, put him in and let him at least get some action to see what he can do? If they supposedly have all this confidence in Keenum and he somehow takes us to the playoffs, why wouldn't he be our starting QB next year too? So than what ?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is, fine let him sit, but if we are way up, or getting smoked and the game is over, put him in and let him at least get some action to see what he can do? If they supposedly have all this confidence in Keenum and he somehow takes us to the playoffs, why wouldn't he be our starting QB next year too? So than what ?
I think this is more about the owners only allowing 46 active players on the roster for game day. With that number it makes no sense to dress three QB's.

Honestly, I don't care one bit about them talking heads on Around the Horn. They are there for entertainment not to develop NFL talent or win NFL Football games. :nod:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita, I was talking about the year before 10 years ago, Manning, Rivers, and Big Ben, my bad!

And again there are more misses, than hits, and these guys live and breath this shit, yet I along with alot of fans on here can hit and miss about the same as the so called experts! There just seems to be way to many head scratching decisions as far as talent goes on this team?

That's fine if Goff sits, but it has to be deflating to his ego to not even dress for this game. I was just watching Around The Horn, they said this is the first #1 drafted QB not to dress in the first game since Jamarcus Russell.

Under your criteria, how is Rivers a franchise QB? That team hasn't come close to winning anything with him. In the looser sense, yes he's a franchise QB (and I, like Vita, agree with that classification).

As far as Keenum being the starter next year, I doubt the coaching staff lets it get that far. I doubt Goff goes the whole season without becoming the starter. Keenum may not even be back next year, as he's a free agent and if he is a full season starter, would likely get offers elsewhere that the Rams would not want to match. I would imagine Goff as the starter around midseason or so, with Mannion becoming his backup next season with Keenum moving on.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under your criteria, how is Rivers a franchise QB? That team hasn't come close to winning anything with him. In the looser sense, yes he's a franchise QB (and I, like Vita, agree with that classification).

As far as Keenum being the starter next year, I doubt the coaching staff lets it get that far. I doubt Goff goes the whole season without becoming the starter. Keenum may not even be back next year, as he's a free agent and if he is a full season starter, would likely get offers elsewhere that the Rams would not want to match. I would imagine Goff as the starter around midseason
or so, with Mannion becoming his backup next season with Keenum moving on.

Didn't actually say Rivers "was" a Franchise QB, I said those three were Franchise "type" QB's. Even though Eli has 2 SB wins, i don't think he's all that either?, that's why I said "types"

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is more about the owners only allowing 46 active players on the roster for game day. With that number it makes no sense to dress three QB's.

Honestly, I don't care one bit about them talking heads on Around the Horn. They are there for entertainment not to develop NFL talent or win NFL Football games. :nod:

I've heard many so called experts say that if you move up to take your "supposed" Franchise QB, than you normally expect them to be ready, because they are a franchise QB and should be ready to play. I don't necessarily agree with that, but i sure wouldn't expect him to not dress and be number 3 on the depth chart, to me that's very concerning. He's had all summer to learn the playbook, he's had numerous practices, and then actual game time time? Any rational person would assume that he should be ready, or at least closer than he is?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any rational person would assume that he should be ready, or at least closer than he is?
Ahem...

So, now those that don't agree with you are not rational..

I see..

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahem...

So, now those that don't agree with you are not rational..

I see..

As much as I agree with you on this issue Vita, it sure does seem odd that he's not at least active for this game....Why not designate him as the 3rd stringer and have him with a clipboard on the sidelines? Its not like our roster is SO damn talented that we couldn't afford to keep him active, or so you'd think...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard many so called experts say that if you move up to take your "supposed" Franchise QB, than you normally expect them to be ready, because they are a franchise QB and should be ready to play. I don't necessarily agree with that, but i sure wouldn't expect him to not dress and be number 3 on the depth chart, to me that's very concerning. He's had all summer to learn the playbook, he's had numerous practices, and then actual game time time? Any rational person would assume that he should be ready, or at least closer than he is?

Eli went #1 and was traded for Rivers, who went #3 I believe? You don't consider them franchise QBs necessarily; why is Goff being judged more harshly? There was no way he was going to be as ready as Eli and Rivers were on day 1.