• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got the latest Richard Kadrey - Sandman Slim effort...

I did not care for the last 2 entries, I was going to hold off on getting the latest. I am curious if this one is good.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading some of these online translations of chinese novels, and although they're all trash they've been pretty fun reading too. The best one I've read is A Will Eternal. I've read 5-6 different ones and they're all between 1300-3000 "chapters" with each chapter being maybe 2-3 book pages in length. But there's a lot of repitition to them kind of like episodes of a dragonball cartoon back in the day. They originally post 1-2 chapters per day and some of these people pay money or subscriptions to get each chapter. I personally M only ones that are finished.
I know exactly what you are talking about with the Dragonball Z thing. That always annoyed me.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett ... Very, very, good. Kind of formulaic at this point though. Pillars, World, Column, they all kind of follow the same sort of plot and styling. Even the century trilogy. But it works. I dug it. But I'm a super-fan though. Pillars of the Earth is probably my all-time favorite novel.

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay ... Wanted something lighter after burning through Evening and Morning. This worked. Disturbing read. Very original and very good. Highly recommended. I just started his Devils Rock as a follow up after finishing it.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett ... Very, very, good. Kind of formulaic at this point though. Pillars, World, Column, they all kind of follow the same sort of plot and styling. Even the century trilogy. But it works. I dug it. But I'm a super-fan though. Pillars of the Earth is probably my all-time favorite novel.

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay ... Wanted something lighter after burning through Evening and Morning. This worked. Disturbing read. Very original and very good. Highly recommended. I just started his Devils Rock as a follow up after finishing it.
I had heard A Head Full of Ghosts is a very good read for this time of year. I might pick it up.

is the new Ken Follett a stand alone?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had heard A Head Full of Ghosts is a very good read for this time of year. I might pick it up.

is the new Ken Follett a stand alone?
A Head Full of Ghosts is just awesome. It's one of those books that you end up thinking about a lot after you're done with it.

Yeah, Evening and Morning is a stand-alone. It's a prequel to the whole Kingsbridge series but other than some easter eggs it's not really related other than the location. Honestly, if I was starting the series right now I would start there I think. And they are all kind of standalone. Hundreds of years in between each novel with little reference to previous books.

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Head Full of Ghosts is just awesome. It's one of those books that you end up thinking about a lot after you're done with it.

Yeah, Evening and Morning is a stand-alone. It's a prequel to the whole Kingsbridge series but other than some easter eggs it's not really related other than the location. Honestly, if I was starting the series right now I would start there I think. And they are all kind of standalone. Hundreds of years in between each novel with little reference to previous books.
Follett's books have always kind of intimidated me, but I saw that one at BJs when I was buying some coffee beans.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follett's books have always kind of intimidated me, but I saw that one at BJs when I was buying some coffee beans.
I never would have tried them to be honest if it wasn't for the guy that turned me on to GRRM recommending Pillars of the Earth. I don't think it would be for everyone. They are long. I think the first 150 pages of Pillars is a small family walking through the woods. And they are kind of formulaic. I would read them in: Evening and the Morning, Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, A Column of Fire. BUT... if you know you're never gonna do that and just wanted one, I would just start with Pillars and if it spoke to you then read the others. I don't think the order is all that important.

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never would have tried them to be honest if it wasn't for the guy that turned me on to GRRM recommending Pillars of the Earth. I don't think it would be for everyone. They are long. I think the first 150 pages of Pillars is a small family walking through the woods. And they are kind of formulaic. I would read them in: Evening and the Morning, Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, A Column of Fire. BUT... if you know you're never gonna do that and just wanted one, I would just start with Pillars and if it spoke to you then read the others. I don't think the order is all that important.
Cool! Thanks for the suggestion!

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
picking up the latest Dresden Files from the library tomorrow.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
picking up the latest Dresden Files from the library tomorrow.
so I don't know if you guys who read Dresden went and ready any of the one off short stories about Harry and his time with the Sasquatch and his son, but it has played into the last two books a lot with how Harry knows/is friends with River Shoulders

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. Rhythm of War comes out in a week and my drug-addled brain (mom was right) has forgotten like half the details. Is there a good place to quickly "review" this series without rereading book three in it's entirety? I hate reading things twice but I might have to.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. Rhythm of War comes out in a week and my drug-addled brain (mom was right) has forgotten like half the details. Is there a good place to quickly "review" this series without rereading book three in it's entirety? I hate reading things twice but I might have to.
I think Tor has something on their site....let me look

they had this before Oathbringer came out...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rhythm of War is down to $20 on Amazon...do I buy it?

owning that set would suck when moving...I think I am going to pass.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you guys reading Stormlight archives, and waiting a week for Rhythm of War: there is a novella that just came out yesterday. It's called Dawnshard and is similar to the Edgedamcer novella that came out right before Oathbringer. This one features Rysn though instead of annoying awesome Lift and is IMO much more enjoyable. I finished it in one night so not gonna hold you over the whole week until RoW but it's a cool story. Adds some very cool new elements and explains or drops some juicy tidbits about other favorite characters.