• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the same vein, "A False Spring" by Pat Jordan is one of my favorite sports books.
A fireballing pitcher who flamed out in the minors and then became a sportswriter turns the magnifying glass on himself without pulling any punches. It's also interesting to read about guys who became major league stars during their minor league years.
I just put it on my wish list. If I can get the 30% digital credit for buying the Kindle edition I might just buy it today.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just put it on my wish list. If I can get the 30% digital credit for buying the Kindle edition I might just buy it today.
I hope you enjoy it if you get it, I think it is just a great book without the sports qualifier. Jordan shows how he managed to consistently stand solidly in the way of his own success without being maudlin or self-pitying in the process.

I have noticed Seasons In Hell many times but it never piqued my interest, maybe I will grab it next time given your positive review.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you enjoy it if you get it, I think it is just a great book without the sports qualifier. Jordan shows how he managed to consistently stand solidly in the way of his own success without being maudlin or self-pitying in the process.

I have noticed Seasons In Hell many times but it never piqued my interest, maybe I will grab it next time given your positive review.
Seasons In Hell is without a doubt a baseball book but the part I like is how he covers his experiences traveling with a struggling club. He does a great job of telling little stories along the way and showing the personalities that make up the team.

One of the parts that is pretty entertaining is how he was covering a series against the Yankees at the old run down Yankee Stadium. A big chunk of concrete the size of a bowling ball fell off of the overhang where he and another sportswriter were at during the game and missed him and his colleague by a few inches. The fans booed because they were hoping it would've hit him.

He also goes into a detail about how he would be the official scorer for something like 12 games a year for an extra $50/game. The players would appeal to him about how errors were recorded but not if they were the fielder. Their OBP and batting average dictated their salaries more than their fielding and they would hound him about it if it took away a hit.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Scalzi - The Android's Dream

Humorous book.

Scalzi again - Head On (Sequel to Lock In)

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting The Dresden files.

Out of sequence though.

And my library finally got the last (new) Sandman Slim.

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
started reading The Calculating Stars, which has gotten a ton of good reviews and is being talked about a lot lately.

but the library emailed saying someone else put a hold on it so it needs to go back today. Dammit.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Trial by Franz Kafka. As a pre law student, this was an insane and very frustrating book.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Scalzi - The Android's Dream

Humorous book.

Scalzi again - Head On (Sequel to Lock In)
I just finished Redshirts by Scalzi

I like his humor. He's a fun writer.

Collapsing Empire is on my to read list.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting The Dresden files.

Out of sequence though.

And my library finally got the last (new) Sandman Slim.
why are you doing Dresden Files out of sequence? That doesn't make any sense. You have to go in order or you will get lost

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why are you doing Dresden Files out of sequence? That doesn't make any sense. You have to go in order or you will get lost

I had Storm Front on reserve. And the 2nd and 3rd as well.

But I needed a book to read and while walking through the stacks found Skin Game and picked it up.

They don't have all of them listed, some only as audio books which interest me not.

So I'll either ask for an inter library loan or check out used books stores.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Storm Front on reserve. And the 2nd and 3rd as well.

But I needed a book to read and while walking through the stacks found Skin Game and picked it up.

They don't have all of them listed, some only as audio books which interest me not.

So I'll either ask for an inter library loan or check out used books stores.
yea I would say go through in order to see the progression and so you can know what the fuck is going on. I can't imagine reading those out of order.

but that is a great series of books to read. Enjoy.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Even the missus seemed to like it.

She did not like God Engines though. Too preachy.
I remember trying to read His Dark Material and thinking it had too much of a religious feel to it so I stopped after the first.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea I would say go through in order to see the progression and so you can know what the fuck is going on. I can't imagine reading those out of order.

but that is a great series of books to read. Enjoy.

Now that I have the last Sandman Slim I'll focus on Dresden.

Then I'll likely give Hard Luck Hank a shot.