• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I have the last Sandman Slim I'll focus on Dresden.

Then I'll likely give Hard Luck Hank a shot.

I love Hard Luck Hank. It is one of the few series that makes me laugh out loud. I am not sure if the whole book is all that great though, I think it is an ok book that sticks out to me because occasionally it has something that I find truly fantastic. Those moments are often enough to make the read well worth it in my opinion though.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Hard Luck Hank. It is one of the few series that makes me laugh out loud. I am not sure if the whole book is all that great though, I think it is an ok book that sticks out to me because occasionally it has something that I find truly fantastic. Those moments are often enough to make the read well worth it in my opinion though.

Well, I don't travel. I don't have a phone to play with all the time. I love to read.

So I'm OK with reading them all.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I have the last Sandman Slim I'll focus on Dresden.

Then I'll likely give Hard Luck Hank a shot.
I might have to take the second Sandman Slim out of the library.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read the last Sandman Slim, Hollywood Dead. Still not tired of him.

And got my hands on the first 3 Dresden books after reading the last one first. I may have to inter-library loan #4 cause I can't seem to find it listed.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How To Change Your Mind: 3.5/5 stars. New non-fiction book from Michael Pollan on psychedelic drugs. The history and research on the subject was very interesting; his personal trips were not.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And got my hands on the first 3 Dresden books after reading the last one first. I may have to inter-library loan #4 cause I can't seem to find it listed.

I have not looked at Hollywood Dead yet. Kill Society was the first one of the series I did not love and I am a little nervous going forward. I will probably give it a shot after I finish up my current book.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not looked at Hollywood Dead yet. Kill Society was the first one of the series I did not love and I am a little nervous going forward. I will probably give it a shot after I finish up my current book.

Never up, never in.

Agreed Kill Society was weak, but I'm all in on the series.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you are going to fly through the Dresden books. They are a lot of fun.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished The Calculating Stars, which is a alternate reality story about the Earth being hit by a meteor and us moving the space program to the left in order to establish a colony on the moon since the Earth will soon be inhabitable. It focuses on a female computer (like from the movie/book Hidden Figures) and her husband. She was a pilot during the war and wants desperately to go into space. Really good book. Just picked up the second of the series from the library.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading Collapsing Empire by Scalzi. Still has his normal humor but much heavier on the sci fi and the world building. Good so far.

Finished VE Schwab's Darker Shade of Magic series. I liked it. I am hoping there is more to come from her.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished reading The First law trilogy along with Red County which is set in the same world as the trilogy. A good read.

I read the first two books in The Kingkiller Chronicles earlier this year. Second reading. Patrick Rothfuss is killing me with they long hiatus between books in this series.

I finally got around to reading most of David Eddings' work this past summer. The Belgariad, The Malloreon, & The Elenium. The first two of those series are connected. Quick light reads.

I've had Oathbringer for six months & have yet to start on that monster knowing it is going to be two more years before we get the fourth book.

I'm about to delve into the Gardens of the Moon, the first book in the ten book Malazan Book of the Fallen series

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had Oathbringer for six months & have yet to start on that monster knowing it is going to be two more years before we get the fourth book.

I finished it about a month ago, then decided to go back and re-read Way of Kings and Words of Radiance while we're waiting. Finding it hard to keep shit straight

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finished it about a month ago, then decided to go back and re-read Way of Kings and Words of Radiance while we're waiting. Finding it hard to keep shit straight
there is a lot going on in that series, it can be hard to keep everything straight.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is a lot going on in that series, it can be hard to keep everything straight.

I also had to go back and read Edgedancer, about the little girl Lift. There was a bunch of stuff in Oathbringer that didn't make sense until after I read that.

I also felt like the ending was a bit jumbled. He dumped a whole lot of bombshells in a short period of time, some of them almost nonchalantly. I know he's setting up the rest of the series but I somehow came away with less of an understanding of the first three books, which is another reason to go back to them.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also had to go back and read Edgedancer, about the little girl Lift. There was a bunch of stuff in Oathbringer that didn't make sense until after I read that.

I also felt like the ending was a bit jumbled. He dumped a whole lot of bombshells in a short period of time, some of them almost nonchalantly. I know he's setting up the rest of the series but I somehow came away with less of an understanding of the first three books, which is another reason to go back to them.
I had to go through the Cliffs Notes/Wikipedia articles to remember what was going on and kind of get a better feel for the story before and after. It is definitely some dense reading.

I am likely going to have to do the same with the Rothfuss books.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to go through the Cliffs Notes/Wikipedia articles to remember what was going on and kind of get a better feel for the story before and after. It is definitely some dense reading.

I am likely going to have to do the same with the Rothfuss books.

I was trying to get a handle on everything in the Stormlight Archive series, so I went and read all of the other shite he wrote in "the cosmere". And I looked at his website and read websites with discussion forums, and realized I was still missing stuff. Sanderson himself answers questions and gives away bits and pieces of in world history at his tours and comic con appearances and book signing. And his mega fans collect every scrap. So I dug deep into all that crap. That was when I realized I just didn't give a shit.

It seemed like all of those big fans cared more about the letters from Hoid that preface some chapters, rather the the chapters and the plot itself. That's when I realized these people were all those nerds who could speak Elven because they had read and memorized the Silmarillion so many times. While I am just the kind of nerd who read The Lord of the Rings and then moved on.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished reading The First law trilogy along with Red County which is set in the same world as the trilogy. A good read.

My favorite new(ish) fantasy author. I've been recommending him for years now. Lots of people don't like him as much as me. Memorable characters, real human motivations - I've even read his YA series, which is pretty good too.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to get a handle on everything in the Stormlight Archive series, so I went and read all of the other shite he wrote in "the cosmere". And I looked at his website and read websites with discussion forums, and realized I was still missing stuff. Sanderson himself answers questions and gives away bits and pieces of in world history at his tours and comic con appearances and book signing. And his mega fans collect every scrap. So I dug deep into all that crap. That was when I realized I just didn't give a shit.

It seemed like all of those big fans cared more about the letters from Hoid that preface some chapters, rather the the chapters and the plot itself. That's when I realized these people were all those nerds who could speak Elven because they had read and memorized the Silmarillion so many times. While I am just the kind of nerd who read The Lord of the Rings and then moved on.
I mean, Hoid is my favorite character in that series, but I am not hunting down all that crap. No way.

When does the next Gentlemen Bastards book come out?