• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA's or trades the Los Angeles Lakers should pursue in the offseason

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeRozan averages 22ppg, 5rpg and 4apg.

He'd be fine as the #3.

DJ you can’t just post a guy’s stats and assume that he is a good fit.

DeRozan is a ball dominant wing who doesn’t have a good catch and shoot game. That is like the exact opposite of what you want to pair with 2 superstars like LeBron and AD.

Because you want the offense to run through those 2 more often than not.

Conley and Lowry can both be primary ball handlers when needed, but can also play off the ball. And Lowry is tough as nails.

I don’t think you are getting any of the 3, but DeRozan is not a great fit.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DeRozan is a ball dominant wing who doesn’t have a good catch and shoot game. That is like the exact opposite of what you want to pair with 2 superstars like LeBron and AD.

Conley and Lowry can both be primary ball handlers when needed, but can also play off the ball. And Lowry is tough as nails.

Also, while they have improved some, the Lakers still aren't consistent from 3 point range. DeRozan doesn't help with that.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He averaged a career high apg this season with the young Spurs.....you don't think he'd pass to James and AD?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeRozan is gonna be an interesting player this summer. If he's your 3rd or 4th best option on a championship team, you're gonna be really fucking good. It's not quite the same, but it could be similar to how Andre Iguodala took a step back and assumed a role with the Warriors behind Curry/Klay/Draymond. But he's definitely not a 1. And if he's your #2, you're not getting out of the 2nd round. Problem is, he probably still wants to be paid like a top guy. I'm not sure he takes a paycut to where he'd be an option for a championship team.
He's from the LA area and has made a bunch of money.

He might be interested in a 2 year deal to play here and try to win a ring.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, while they have improved some, the Lakers still aren't consistent from 3 point range. DeRozan doesn't help with that.
I mentioned that in my post. He's probably behind Conley and Lowry but he has turned into a really good passer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's the thing. Lowry or Conley would be awesome. Agree that they may be at a point where they would look at taking less. The question is how much less and can the Lakers clear the cap space to get one of them and still maintain some sort of depth?

Agree about DeRozan. But their choices may end up coming down to DeRozan or overpay Schroder. My biggest issue with DeRozan is that he's basically the Eastern Conference version of Paul George...he's a regular season all star, but below average in the playoffs. He might even be worse than PG in the playoffs.

The Lakers would have to decide if they think DeRozan would perform better in the playoffs as a #3 than he did as #1 or #2. If they don't, then they may be better off overpaying Schroder.

I don't think DeRozan is anywhere near Paul George level. Stay far away.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He averaged a career high apg this season with the young Spurs.....you don't think he'd pass to James and AD?

Cmon man.

You don’t get it!

Someone needs to have the ball to create offense. LeBron is one of the greatest creators of all time. The ball is going through him most possessions.

DeRozan is not a good catch and shoot player. And LeBron isn’t at his best off the ball either. Both need the ball in their hands. Only 1 can have it.

What you really need is Danny Green back.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man.

You don’t get it!

Someone needs to have the ball to create offense. LeBron is one of the greatest creators of all time. The ball is going through him most possessions.

DeRozan is not a good catch and shoot player. And LeBron isn’t at his best off the ball either. Both need the ball in their hands. Only 1 can have it.

What you really need is Danny Green back.

If this year's Danny Green shot as well from 3 with the Lakers, he might still be on the team. He's jumped from 36% to over 40% this year.

They could target someone like Jared Butler, Nah'Shon Hyland, Chris Duarte, etc in the draft.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't sound like Schroder is disgruntled...

"They've got the top two players in the league. I want to be here and win a championship," Schroder told reporters. "That's not even a question. It's not about money. If everything is good, we're going to come back and win a championship next year."

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroeder and Kuzma for Wall, a first round pick, and a decent young player.

i dont think it would work cap wise but it would be really interesting- and i think it would be good for both teams.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lowry is tough as nails?

do you know how many times ive watched Kyle Lowry fall apart in the playoffs?

it was like a yearly tradition for a while.

dude is gonna be 36 before next years playoffs and cant cover anyone. I cant imagine watching him matched up against a Curry or Cp3 or Doncic or Dame or Mitchell or Murray in the West.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i dont think it would work cap wise but it would be really interesting- and i think it would be good for both teams.

Yea that combo on a sign and trade is how they could get another max/near max guy. Kuzma blows but maybe they could find a taker.

Schroder would likely be pretty pissed about Houston I'd think unless they snagged Cade though.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need more shooting, they dont necessarily need a 3rd AS player but that would be icing on the cake. Reliable, more consistent shooters. Schroder wasn’t a great fit and Kuzma is pretty awful. I think Dwight was a guy they would have loved to keep, Gasol was a downgrade

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haven't seen a lot of Wall since the injury. If he's healthy and can "reign himself in" a bit playing with Lebron and AD, that could work pretty well. It would definitely give them another guy who can get his own shot and be a playmaker.

Outside of Lebron and Schroder (kind of) they have a bunch of guys who can make plays, but no one who is actually a playmaker. If that makes sense.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that...issue might be what's he gonna do when Lebron/AD have the ball? Spot up at the 3 to not shoot the 3?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowry is tough as nails?

do you know how many times ive watched Kyle Lowry fall apart in the playoffs?

it was like a yearly tradition for a while.

dude is gonna be 36 before next years playoffs and cant cover anyone. I cant imagine watching him matched up against a Curry or Cp3 or Doncic or Dame or Mitchell or Murray in the West.
Would have thought the same after those series....but the kid became a clutch player once Lebron left the East. Especially when he was with Kawhi.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need more shooting, they dont necessarily need a 3rd AS player but that would be icing on the cake. Reliable, more consistent shooters. Schroder wasn’t a great fit and Kuzma is pretty awful. I think Dwight was a guy they would have loved to keep, Gasol was a downgrade

Yeah, they are just too streaky. Last year, they struggled with outside shooting during the regular season and then in the playoffs, started hitting 3's regularly.

This year, they shot pretty well from 3 for most of the regular season, then couldn't hit it for shit in the playoffs. I think Schroder's problem was just not enough time on the floor with Lebron and AD. The idea was for him to basically be a younger Rondo and for him to share the load of running the offense with Lebron. But they never got enough time on the court together to figure things out. End result was that he would sometimes try to be running the offense when he should have deferred and would defer when he should have been running the offense.

Kuzma isn't nearly as bad a some try to make out. Folks need to quit judging him based on what the Lakers and he wanted him to be and look at what he is. He's a solid role player who can help a team defensively, can score some, but who will likely always be inconsistent on offense. He's outplayed his draft status, but not as much as it sometimes looked like he was going to.

Gasol was a downgrade from Dwight defensively, but an upgrade offensively. You can also play Gasol against more teams than you can Dwight.

Having said that, the biggest difference is that Dwight is a true rim protector and Gasol isn't. I do think that letting Dwight go was the one mistake they made in the off-season.

Had AD been healthy, it wouldn't have been an issue. But he wasn't and despite having a bunch of bigs, they didn't have a rim protector. I don't think Booker, CP3 or even Ayton, would have been scoring in the paint like they did with Dwight there.

Reactions: DJ

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen a lot of Wall since the injury. If he's healthy and can "reign himself in" a bit playing with Lebron and AD, that could work pretty well. It would definitely give them another guy who can get his own shot and be a playmaker.

Outside of Lebron and Schroder (kind of) they have a bunch of guys who can make plays, but no one who is actually a playmaker. If that makes sense.

I think to match up salaries it would have to be Trez, kuz or kcp, and Schroder. And then a first.

Then they'd have to dig into the bargain bin for vets and hope to bring back one or both of THT and Caruso.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they are just too streaky. Last year, they struggled with outside shooting during the regular season and then in the playoffs, started hitting 3's regularly.

This year, they shot pretty well from 3 for most of the regular season, then couldn't hit it for shit in the playoffs. I think Schroder's problem was just not enough time on the floor with Lebron and AD. The idea was for him to basically be a younger Rondo and for him to share the load of running the offense with Lebron. But they never got enough time on the court together to figure things out. End result was that he would sometimes try to be running the offense when he should have deferred and would defer when he should have been running the offense.

Kuzma isn't nearly as bad a some try to make out. Folks need to quit judging him based on what the Lakers and he wanted him to be and look at what he is. He's a solid role player who can help a team defensively, can score some, but who will likely always be inconsistent on offense. He's outplayed his draft status, but not as much as it sometimes looked like he was going to.

Gasol was a downgrade from Dwight defensively, but an upgrade offensively. You can also play Gasol against more teams than you can Dwight.

Having said that, the biggest difference is that Dwight is a true rim protector and Gasol isn't. I do think that letting Dwight go was the one mistake they made in the off-season.

Had AD been healthy, it wouldn't have been an issue. But he wasn't and despite having a bunch of bigs, they didn't have a rim protector. I don't think Booker, CP3 or even Ayton, would have been scoring in the paint like they did with Dwight there.

And that's the frustration with Dre because he has all the tools to be a solid rim protector.