• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Falcons sign Dontari Poe

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to worry about changing OCs more than the defense.
Supposedly Ryan will have much more control over the offense this year as it pertains to play calling ( he already had a lot ). Atlanta is keeping the same scheme and verbage so the transition should be pretty seamless. I thinl it's pretty likely Atlantas D will be substantially better this year if only by experience. The offense will likely take a step back, not because of any attrition but the bar is crazy high after last year's historic greatness. Atlanta will probably be a 11ish win team this year again. Could be better if Ryan keeps the same format but that's doubtful.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, this is huge for ATL. Arguably their biggest weakness on D just got fixed by 1 signing.

not sure if he alone is going to fix that run D but definitely a great first step

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Ryan will have much more control over the offense this year as it pertains to play calling ( he already had a lot ). Atlanta is keeping the same scheme and verbage so the transition should be pretty seamless. I thinl it's pretty likely Atlantas D will be substantially better this year if only by experience. The offense will likely take a step back, not because of any attrition but the bar is crazy high after last year's historic greatness. Atlanta will probably be a 11ish win team this year again. Could be better if Ryan keeps the same format but that's doubtful.

You think Matt had a lot of control over the OFC play calling? Maybe, imo Matt had more change ability than he had in yr one under Shanny. He obviously was not so locked in on the #1 read (Julio most often) like he was in '15. Him actually calling the plays I think came out of no-huddle which they ran a little more, but not like they did under Smitty.

You can't blame him but Shark is on record saying he doesn't want to change much. Yes, Matt will have more authority in the play calling under him. I expect them to try to run the ball a little more particularly in short yardage. That was one area of the Quinn thought they could do better....whether they actually run it more in short yardage remains to be seen, but I don't think we're going to see Matt in shotgun as much on 3rd and 2.

OFC & DEF...agree, the OFC definitely takes a step or two back, you almost have to after last yr as you said, but they will still be a very good OFC imo.

DEF...yeah, better, but I'm a little guarded on how much better. Several ifs are in play. IF all the young players take that next step. IF Poe gels quickly in the new 43 front. IF Allen can repeat his level of play, and the biggest IF, can Vic repeat his effort and will he get some help.

At worst 10-6, but 11 wins is what I would expect too. NO on paper is really making a lot of changes...have to see if that shows up on paper. The Bucs can be a 10 win team too. If they can convince AP to come down there, imo they are a legit contender for the South.

CAR...they will be better, but they're counting on too many old guys on the edge. I'm not sure about what's going on in Charlotte.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure if he alone is going to fix that run D but definitely a great first step

Not based on what he did in KC...lol

Falcons imo were not a terrible run DEF...but they were not very good at all vs the pass. Most of that was DL oriented.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-9

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Matt had a lot of control over the OFC play calling? Maybe, imo Matt had more change ability than he had in yr one under Shanny. He obviously was not so locked in on the #1 read (Julio most often) like he was in '15. Him actually calling the plays I think came out of no-huddle which they ran a little more, but not like they did under Smitty.

You can't blame him but Shark is on record saying he doesn't want to change much. Yes, Matt will have more authority in the play calling under him. I expect them to try to run the ball a little more particularly in short yardage. That was one area of the Quinn thought they could do better....whether they actually run it more in short yardage remains to be seen, but I don't think we're going to see Matt in shotgun as much on 3rd and 2.

OFC & DEF...agree, the OFC definitely takes a step or two back, you almost have to after last yr as you said, but they will still be a very good OFC imo.

DEF...yeah, better, but I'm a little guarded on how much better. Several ifs are in play. IF all the young players take that next step. IF Poe gels quickly in the new 43 front. IF Allen can repeat his level of play, and the biggest IF, can Vic repeat his effort and will he get some help.

At worst 10-6, but 11 wins is what I would expect too. NO on paper is really making a lot of changes...have to see if that shows up on paper. The Bucs can be a 10 win team too. If they can convince AP to come down there, imo they are a legit contender for the South.

CAR...they will be better, but they're counting on too many old guys on the edge. I'm not sure about what's going on in Charlotte.
Oh yeah. I wasn't really talking about changing plays at the line. Just more the play calling itself and the game plan. He had a ton of input on that. The ability to change plays will come more frequently now which, imo, can only help

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was this last week, I was very excited. He's exactly what this defense needs. I'm really looking forward to seeing the strides our defense takes next season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah. I wasn't really talking about changing plays at the line. Just more the play calling itself and the game plan. He had a ton of input on that. The ability to change plays will come more frequently now which, imo, can only help

Supposedly...Shanny and Matt had a meeting of the minds LY after a tough '15 season. Kyle kind of backed off his my way or my way attitude. At the same time, Matt worked really hard to get better throwing on the run, off boots, etc. Actually went a trained with some baseball training guy for arm strength.

I agree Matt will have more audible control now. Freeman seems to have calmed down on the contract issue, but you know it's on his mind. If he plays with passion again and Coleman continues to grow as a player, I think they still be a good OFC....one of the few teams to have the starting 5 OL play all 16 games LY.

I'm not sure why they didn't go after a 2nd tier G in FA...Chester is still contemplating retiring supposedly and he was the weak link imo...why wait on him?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly...Shanny and Matt had a meeting of the minds LY after a tough '15 season. Kyle kind of backed off his my way or my way attitude. At the same time, Matt worked really hard to get better throwing on the run, off boots, etc. Actually went a trained with some baseball training guy for arm strength.

I agree Matt will have more audible control now. Freeman seems to have calmed down on the contract issue, but you know it's on his mind. If he plays with passion again and Coleman continues to grow as a player, I think they still be a good OFC....one of the few teams to have the starting 5 OL play all 16 games LY.

I'm not sure why they didn't go after a 2nd tier G in FA...Chester is still contemplating retiring supposedly and he was the weak link imo...why wait on him?
I think they look at that in the draft. I've been hearing they really like Cam Robinson so I'm guessing if he's still there that'll be the pick

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they look at that in the draft. I've been hearing they really like Cam Robinson so I'm guessing if he's still there that'll be the pick

Lot of edge talk still. At this point I can see them going with Robinson and move him to G. We'll see who comes in for visits.

Last edited: