• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Detroit re-sign Goff this offseason or wait till after next season?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff still has one more year left on his contract worth about $31 million in 2024.

Should the Lions go ahead and re-sign him this offseason or wait till next season?

I think most people put Goff around $40 million per year for a 4-5 year extension. Goff will be 30 during next season.

If you’re the Lions do you jump ahead and get him signed, or wait and see (which could drive his price up)?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't they better be real sure that Hooker is the guy.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't they better be real sure that Hooker is the guy.
Well they do have another year to evaluate him. Should they jump ahead and get it done, or hold out knowing it could cost them more?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff still has one more year left on his contract worth about $31 million in 2024.

Should the Lions go ahead and re-sign him this offseason or wait till next season?

I think most people put Goff around $40 million per year for a 4-5 year extension. Goff will be 30 during next season.

If you’re the Lions do you jump ahead and get him signed, or wait and see (which could drive his price up)?
30 is pretty damn young. Not everyone regresses the same of course but he is not a mobile QB so he can last until his mid 30's. I don't think it matters when they resign him as long as both are on the same page. I think it is foregone conclusion is the future QB for the Lions. At least for another 3-4 years or one more contract.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they do have another year to evaluate him. Should they jump ahead and get it done, or hold out knowing it could cost them more?
I would be surprised if they didn't sign him sooner.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please do Detroit

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a solid mid tier guy

may as well committ

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a solid mid tier guy

may as well committ
I thought he’s been a little better than that. I’d have him in the top 10 right now. I am biased though. :D

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he’s been a little better than that. I’d have him in the top 10 right now. I am biased though. :D

not elite

but you can build around him and he can be successful.

This wouldn't even be a discussion If qb contracts weren't so silly.

But teams don't want to be the Giants either.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not elite

but you can build around him and he can be successful.

This wouldn't even be a discussion If qb contracts weren't so silly.

But teams don't want to be the Giants either.

Well, of course not. There are maybe 4-5 elite QB’s out there.

I think Goff lands around 8-10. He is around top 5 in several stats, but I don’t think he has that next gear to make him elite. He also won’t cost us what an elite QB costs his team.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what he can do with some decent weapons. If Detroit gets a little better defense, you might be behind fast when playing them. Goff isn't bad, he's in the tier of Stafford, Purdy, and Stroud, all playoff ,QBs and all have decent weapons, not so great ( with the exception of SF, and that brings up how good is Purdy ) but decent all around.
Whether they sign him or not may be dependent on how far they go.
If they believe he's a mid-level QB and takes them to the NFC championship then they may be resigned to the fact that they can get there with a mid-level and sign him saving some money and a possible pick, delaying a chance at a franchise QB.
I'd sign him, worst case he holds down the fort until a draft pick QB comes along,

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what he can do with some decent weapons. If Detroit gets a little better defense, you might be behind fast when playing them. Goff isn't bad, he's in the tier of Stafford, Purdy, and Stroud, all playoff ,QBs and all have decent weapons, not so great ( with the exception of SF, and that brings up how good is Purdy ) but decent all around.
If they believe he's a mid-level QB and takes them to the NFC championship then they may be resigned to the fact that they can get there with a mid-level and sign him saving some money and a possible pick, delaying a chance at a franchise QB.
I'd sign him, worst case he holds down the fort until a draft pick QB comes along,

Stroud is quickly approaching elite status. Purdy kind of needs to do a lot of damage to get there because the idea is he's benefitting moreso from his weapons. But I'd put all 3 guys you mentioned over Goff. But I'd rather have Goff over Staff due to age.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff’s biggest value is what he will cost his team. He puts up REALLY good numbers, yet will likely cost the Lions around $40-$45 million. That can keep good veteran players on the team.

Elite QB’s often have to do too much when they get those $55+ million contracts.

Goff was top 5 in passing yards and TD’s, along with a high completion percentage, if the Lions can get him for $45 million or less, I think I would jump on it.

I mean, what else do you want from your QB that Goff isn’t delivering right now?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'd ask what their options are? Unless you think Penix, Maye, etc is THEE guy, the answer almost has to be re-signing Goff. Unless Hooker is the guy, which I kinda doubt if this is a question.

The Lions are good and will probably be good the next 3 years without significant restructuring on their core roster. If they draft well to support that cool. That points to re-signing Goff unless you're deadset on getting a QB in this draft, no matter the cost.

Personally I REALLY like Penix for the most part, but I am not sure I'd go gangbusters from Detroit's spot in the draft for him either.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An extension is the word you're looking for.