• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Falcons sign Dontari Poe

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good pick up

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He supposedly turned down a multi-year deal with Indianapolis and a 1 year deal with Jacksonville for more money to come to Atlanta for 1 year.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him taking a one year deal to showcase for a big time deal next season. He could be a monster for the Falcons this year, but if he performs like he's playing for a contract, it might leave them with a hole to fill for 2018.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of the contract, this is a REAL good signing for the Falcons. They couldn't stop the run at all last year, and Poe definitely helps clog up the middle

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, this is huge for ATL. Arguably their biggest weakness on D just got fixed by 1 signing.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could go either way but a 1 yr signing is probably best for both parties.

Chiefs had the worst run D up the middle last year so Poe moving on sounds about right but he could still end up being a useful piece for 1 yr

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him taking a one year deal to showcase for a big time deal next season. He could be a monster for the Falcons this year, but if he performs like he's playing for a contract, it might leave them with a hole to fill for 2018.
Uhhhh, was he not playing for a Contract this past year in a much better Defense?!?!?!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good pick up

For ATL, this could be a great deal...I think he's better than Babs and Jackson...but there was a sizeable drop off after the back surgery LY. Big man...back issue. Obviously why he was mostly interested in 1 yr deals...show he's fully ready to go and cash in long term next yr.

Falcons should be a getting a highly motivated player for '17. I thought they might look at a 2nd tier G in a FA, but it looks like they expect to do that in the draft now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhhh, was he not playing for a Contract this past year in a much better Defense?!?!?!

Some people think coming off his '15 back surgery he was not 100% confident in his back LY...obviously he thinks he's better than what he showed LY.

We shall see, but lined up next to Grady, he will have a very good support DT next to him. Should get a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping we would sign him but big money and a possible back is the reason for 1 year deal . we will look in the draft for a dt

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta has a pretty good dline. Poe and Grady Jarret is a damn good one two punch at DT. Mix Beasley in their and that has nasty potential.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing but an A+ signing. Poe's a dominant tackle when he's healthy and it's a major upgrade on the side of the ball Atlanta could use some depth on. Part of the reason the Pats were able to come back outside of coach stupid was the tired front 4 of the Falcon's D. Poe should help tremendously.

There's concerns with his back/health, especially for a guy carrying that weight, but it's a 1 year prove it deal which often works out. If the Falcons give him a giant extension after this year, it wont be an A grade I can tell you that but for now, it's a steal.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing but an A+ signing. Poe's a dominant tackle when he's healthy and it's a major upgrade on the side of the ball Atlanta could use some depth on. Part of the reason the Pats were able to come back outside of coach stupid was the tired front 4 of the Falcon's D. Poe should help tremendously.
At the same token, part of the reason the Chiefs were 1 and done in the playoffs was because Poe was invisible against the Steelers while Bell ran for a million yards.

50/50 this works out for the Falcons but I think there is a really good chance they are just throwing money away, too

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same token, part of the reason the Chiefs were 1 and done in the playoffs was because Poe was invisible against the Steelers while Bell ran for a million yards.

50/50 this works out for the Falcons but I think there is a really good chance they are just throwing money away, too

IMO run DEF is about 11 guys, especially the front 7. I agree it was especially bad in that game, but for some reason it wasn't just the PIT game in the playoffs. KC (26th) simply was not a good run DEF. Poe has to take some of that blame being on the DL.

Quinn has made it clear what they want from him so it'll being interesting to see how he performs.

IMO, he got his big deal as a top 10 pick. Longer term, yes, but I don't foresee a monster deal next year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO run DEF is about 11 guys, especially the front 7. I agree it was especially bad in that game, but for some reason it wasn't just the PIT game in the playoffs. KC (26th) simply was not a good run DEF. Poe has to take some of that blame being on the DL.
Im certainly not blaming it all on him but at the same time he also wasn't a difference maker, either.

Dee Ford and Jarvis Jenkins (replacement level player on the DLine because of other injuries) were actually the 2 worst against the run (as far as I could tell) but it was an issue all season even before Derrick Johnson went down.

The Chiefs in general never really had a healthy, complete unit on defense all season last year so its possible that Poe could be better on a healthy team next year. Then again, thats most teams.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im certainly not blaming it all on him but at the same time he also wasn't a difference maker, either.

Dee Ford and Jarvis Jenkins (replacement level player on the DLine because of other injuries) were actually the 2 worst against the run (as far as I could tell) but it was an issue all season even before Derrick Johnson went down.

The Chiefs in general never really had a healthy, complete unit on defense all season last year so its possible that Poe could be better on a healthy team next year. Then again, thats most teams.

Yeah, anytime your run DEF is lacking, obviously you have a problem up front. Whether it's making the tackle or taking up blockers to free the LB which is especially huge in a 34 DEF. If one DL gets beat or turned a 2 run turns into 4 or 5 yds.

A top shelf 34 NT is a special player imo. Poe will be a DT in a 43 front in ATL so the role is a little different...playing next to Grady Garrett he should be blocked one on one a great deal.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was what 3 seasons ago where to me he was looking like he was that next great NT in the league. He was making plays left and right and just destroying the middle of the OL. That back injury though has truly made him a shell of himself. Maybe now 2 seasons removed from it we start seeing the old Poe back but I think this lack of interest for a long-term deal in FA should show teams just don't trust him to hold up or reach that level again.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but he won't be doing much 0 technique in ATL I would think like he was in KC. I think he is pretty much done when it comes to top shelf NT work. Entirely possible he reinvents himself as a 4-3 DE with some work and imagination. It's the kind of gamble befitting the Super Bowl runnerup trying to upgrade its front 7. And that better defense you speak of was not in good shape in the front 7 due to a series of injuries. Jaye Howard, Allen Bailey, and Justin March were down for the count pretty early. That's before talking about an old and limited Tamba Hali ,a less than 100% Justin Houston who missed most of the year, and then finally Derrick Johnson.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was what 3 seasons ago where to me he was looking like he was that next great NT in the league. He was making plays left and right and just destroying the middle of the OL. That back injury though has truly made him a shell of himself. Maybe now 2 seasons removed from it we start seeing the old Poe back but I think this lack of interest for a long-term deal in FA should show teams just don't trust him to hold up or reach that level again.

Reportedly IND was offering a multi-yr deal but obviously at much less that what ATL was offering for one yr.

I think coming off a tough yr he and his agent knew a 1 yr prove it deal was probably in his best interest when it comes to getting one last big contract before it's all over.

FWIW...I think it's really hard to put up the numbers at a DT to get attract the big money in FA...yeah Fat Albert did it and Suh did it, but in a new position, new team...idk. I think he will get a multi-yr deal next yr...but not at the top of the pay scale most likely.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they need to worry about changing OCs more than the defense.