• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

End of 2021-22 QB Rankings

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what would you say if, on another team, with pedestrian stats, Jimmy G also leads that team deep into the playoffs?

If he led them to 6 offensive points in the divisional playoff game that they won?

I would say the same thing.

And that at the same time maybe SF should have kept him.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he led them to 6 offensive points in the divisional playoff game that they won?

I would say the same thing.

And that at the same time maybe SF should have kept him.

Better question: what happens if SF trades Jimmy G and proceeds to have a 5 win season next year? Would you still call them a good team that carried a mediocre QB?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better question: what happens if SF trades Jimmy G and proceeds to have a 5 win season next year? Would you still call them a good team that carried a mediocre QB?
What if…..they trade Jimmy go undefeated and win the Super Bowl easily. See these…what if…are silly. Jimmy just isn’t that good.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look man, whatever they are doing is working. Jimmy is a part of it and why I didn’t bury him in my rankings.

But let’s not act like Jimmy G is leading a dynasty

They squeaked into the playoffs because they finished the year on a hot streak. They beat a mentally weak Cowboy team, a Packer team that could only muster 10 points and now they gave the Rams who the 9ers clearly have their number.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if…..they trade Jimmy go undefeated and win the Super Bowl easily. See these…what if…are silly. Jimmy just isn’t that good.

I’m staying within the realm of possibility. Shanahan’s Niners are 8-28 without Jimmy G. It’s far more realistic to see them win only 5 games next year than go undefeated without Garoppolo under center. They just aren’t a good team overall…

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to put Allen ahead of Burrow. Maybe Rodgers too?

Russ at 6 feels like living in the past. Should be like 9 or 10.

Jimmy G at 10? No way.

Mayfield at 12? Yuck

And Cousins is WAY too low. No justifiable reason to rank him 13 spots below Jimmy G and 11 behind Baker.

Cousins should be around 10-12.
I thought meg would have Jimmy G MUCH higher.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look man, whatever they are doing is working. Jimmy is a part of it and why I didn’t bury him in my rankings.

But let’s not act like Jimmy G is leading a dynasty

They squeaked into the playoffs because they finished the year on a hot streak. They beat a mentally weak Cowboy team, a Packer team that could only muster 10 points and now they gave the Rams who the 9ers clearly have their number.
Jimmy G is nowhere near as good as meg claims (I think he's mostly trolling/kidding). He's not a great QB. But as someone who is in his local market and hears all the discussions about him, he's pretty good and a great fit for the team. He is asked to make very difficult throws in traffic between the numbers and he makes a lot of them.

His teammates love him (counts for a lot in football), his attitude is terrific (been a total pro about the whole Trey Lance situation, always positive, never bitches about things). He's a winner...something intangible about the guy, he has a fantastic record when he starts and has led the team on two deep playoff runs both of the years he was healthy all year. He's like an Eli Manning who no one though was very good yet somehow managed to win two SBs. Jimmy was one overthrow away from winning Super Bowl MVP.

Ranking him 10 is not out of line really.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got a bump of 4 spots from my end of year rankings last year. Had him at 14. He’s done good this season.
OK well that's a lot more reasonable than your usual troll game with him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m staying within the realm of possibility. Shanahan’s Niners are 8-28 without Jimmy G. It’s far more realistic to see them win only 5 games next year than go undefeated without Garoppolo under center. They just aren’t a good team overall…

And?

They weren’t a good team last year with him.

He stared 6 games and they went 3-3.

And of course they were worse starting Nick Mullins and CJ Beathord.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just silly. The reason they are winning is not because Jimmy is carrying them.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just silly. The reason they are winning is not because Jimmy is carrying them.

I’m not saying Jimmy is “carrying” them so much as he is “elevating” them. Like how Andrew Luck elevated a 2 win team into a playoff team his first year in the league.

The best QBs are the ones that elevate the teams they are on. Jimmy G has proven he can do that. That’s why I rank him higher than most…

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not saying Jimmy is “carrying” them so much as he is “elevating” them. Like how Andrew Luck elevated a 2 win team into a playoff team his first year in the league.

The best QBs are the ones that elevate the teams they are on. Jimmy G has proven he can do that. That’s why I rank him higher than most…
We're pretty much on the same page about him. He's clearly got intangibles that make him better than his raw talent/numbers. And yes he's better than most give him credit for. Ranking him 10th is very reasonable.

But to say they're a bad team, with that defense and those offensive weapons, that's ridiculous.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're pretty much on the same page about him. He's clearly got intangibles that make him better than his raw talent/numbers. And yes he's better than most give him credit for. Ranking him 10th is very reasonable.

But to say they're a bad team, with that defense and those offensive weapons, that's ridiculous.

I’m not meaning they’re a bad roster or they have bad coaching if that’s how you’re taking my meaning. I’m meaning they’re a “bad team” in the way all teams are “bad teams,” if they don’t have a good QB.

Take for instance the Colts as I just mentioned. Perennial SB contenders with Peyton Manning. Then he leaves and they win 2 games. That year they were a bad team. Then they get Luck and immediately make the playoffs again. That’s the difference a good QB makes. That’s how good QBs elevate rosters. The players aren’t bad, but without a QB, they’re gonna have a bad season.

And that’s what I see from Jimmy G. SF is 20 games below .500 without him under Shanahan. With him, they are 27 games over .500 and have a SB appearance. People are expecting me to act like Jimmy G makes no difference on that team, but the difference between him starting and anyone else is far to stark for me to admit any such thing. I view Jimmy as a QB that elevates his team, even if he isn’t statistically impressive.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really glad of my Burrow ranking right now. Probably could’ve put him ahead of Mahomes. 2-0 head-to-head, both games very recent.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really glad of my Burrow ranking right now. Probably could’ve put him ahead of Mahomes. 2-0 head-to-head, both games very recent.

No, you can’t put him ahead of Mahomes.

Mahomes played very poorly at the end of that game. That doesn’t mean Burrow is better.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Terrible comparison

Andrew Luck was an elite QB when he was healthy. He was a game changer.

Nothing like Jimmy G.

Also, the Colts weren’t your ordinary 2 win team. They were a perennial contender who had a really bad season due to key injuries, especially 1 to Payton Manning, who they had no replacement for.

The no replacement QB part is the way the Colts and Niners situations compare.

Teams can’t win if they have terrible QB play.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible comparison

Andrew Luck was an elite QB when he was healthy. He was a game changer.

Nothing like Jimmy G.

Also, the Colts weren’t your ordinary 2 win team. They were a perennial contender who had a really bad season due to key injuries, especially 1 to Payton Manning, who they had no replacement for.

The no replacement QB part is the way the Colts and Niners situations compare.

Teams can’t win if they have terrible QB play.
The Colts also started the likes of Dan Orlovsky to intentionally tank the season for Luck. It's not a valid comparison at all.
Fwiw, there isn't anything wrong with average. 20 QBS ( or maybe more) are "average". Take any of the QBs ranked from the 8 or 9 spot to the 20 spot and put them with the same roster and you get basically the exact same results. There are 6 or 7 really good to great QBs in the league, then a huge group of pretty goods, and then a large group of either really bad or still learning the ropes youngsters. Jimmy is in the large middle tier somewhere. Rank him closer to ten or closer to twenty, doesn't matter. He has intangibles but he also has serious flaws that are too late to correct.