• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft possibilities

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can play the 3 I'd like this a lot. probably puts a couple pounds on in the next couple of years too

DeForest Buckner - DL - Player

Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones admits pass rusher is one of the team's biggest needs heading into the draft.

"At the end of the day, our defensive front is still a position that we keep our eye on in terms of always trying to get better there," Jones said in a Tuesday radio interview. "Ultimately we want to find a dominant type of pass rusher. Obviously that’s easier said than done." The Cowboys had one in Greg Hardy last season, but he was allowed to walk over character concerns. Ohio State's Joey Bosa is arguably the draft's top pass rusher, but TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reported earlier this month that the Cowboys are "down" on him. Oregon's DeForest Buckner would be another option at No. 4 overall.
Related: Cowboys

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Apr 19 - 4:47 PM
I think 3T is exactly where Dallas would play him...

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 3T is exactly where Dallas would play him...

Didnt Crawford just get paid good money to be the 3 technique? I would rather trade back & draft Shaq Lawson or gamble on Noah Spence.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt Crawford just get paid good money to be the 3 technique? I would rather trade back & draft Shaq Lawson or gamble on Noah Spence.
I wouldn't let Crawford's contract scare me away from drafting 3T until Crawford starts making Pro Bowls. Besides, Rod loves to rotate DL, and Buckner also has the size and speed to play end or slide to NT.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't let Crawford's contract scare me away from drafting 3T until Crawford starts making Pro Bowls. Besides, Rod loves to rotate DL, and Buckner also has the size and speed to play end or slide to NT.
Exactly. At this point Crawford's reputation is better than his level of play. I know he was hurt last year so I expect a big bounce back type of year. Crawford and Buckner could each get snaps at strong side DE and Crawford was playing the 1 in the past. Plus in the nickel you likely have them both at DT rushing the passer. So having Crawford in no way keeps you from drafting Buckner. We need guys that can get to the QB or it won't matter much who is in the secondary. They don't need to get a ton of sacks, but they need to make sure the QB doesn't have all day.

But, If we go Ramsey at 4 I think there will still be guys out there at 34 to help as well. The guy I want in the 2nd is Spence. I know the issues, but not sure they are worse than a bunch of other guys. It seems most gurus have him going in the middle of the 2nd round, but I think he goes top 20. Probably the best pass rusher in the draft IMO.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden will be “shocked” if Hackenberg isn’t a first-round pick

Jon Gruden will be “shocked” if Hackenberg isn’t a first-round pick
Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2016, 2:47 PM EDT
zz1mzwy1odiyogrkodfjy2rmymy2mzq0zjk4ztq0yzu5zg-e1461091608478.jpeAP
Jon Gruden is only nine days away from taking a figurative (or maybe literal) whiz on an electric fence.

In an item posted earlier today on ESPN.com’s premium Insider service, the former Buccaneers and Raiders coach says this about Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg: “I’ll be shocked if Hackenberg is not a first-round pick. The biggest surprise to me on Hackenberg is that no one is really talking about him in the first round. This was the No. 1 prospect in the nation a few years ago and someone who showed during his freshman year he could produce at a high level in a true NFL-style offense. What he showed during that first year at Penn State — before the coaching change, before the system change, before all the things that derailed him — would be enough for me to take this guy early. This man can run a 4.7-second 40, he is tough as hell and he works relentlessly. He just has to get in the right system with the right people and refocus on the small details.”

Gruden specifically praised Hackenberg for his ability to pick up former Penn State coach Bill O’Brien’s offense as a freshman.

“Hackenberg threw for 3,000 yards as an 18-year-old kid in an NFL offense that is hard to execute,” Gruden writes. “I do not think people are giving him enough credit for that. The alert signals they had when Bill O’Brien was coaching him were straight out of the New England Patriots playbook. You might see 12-15 alerts per game. The quarterback’s control at the line of scrimmage was similar to the Patriots’. We all have seen Tom Brady point to his temples countless times at the line of scrimmage. They had the same alerts and mannerisms at Penn State. For a freshman to be given that type of autonomy at the line of scrimmage is unusual. When you see the same plays from the same formations that the Patriots are running, with the same audible mannerisms, you are like, ‘Wow, this is cool.'”

It’s not cool that the rest of Gruden’s takeaways on Hackenberg are hidden behind a paywall, but the first two are strong enough to get plenty of attention at a time when few are talking about Hackenberg as a top quarterback prospect.

The naysayers include ESPN’s top two draft experts. In December, Mel Kiper said that Hackenberg should consider returning to school for another season. Todd McShay said this about Hackenberg: “With a 53.3 percent completion rate this season, he’s simply not accurate enough to warrant first-round consideration.”

Coincidentally or not, Gruden’s remarks are coming to light the same day that his brother’s team is hosting Hackenberg. It’s fairly clear what Washington’s pick would be if the elder Gruden were the team’s head coach.

If nothing else, it should make for an interesting discussion between Gruden and Kiper on the ESPN set as Hackenberg slides toward Washington’s selection, and likely beyond.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2016, 2:47 PM EDT
View attachment 109210AP
Jon Gruden is only nine days away from taking a figurative (or maybe literal) whiz on an electric fence.

In an item posted earlier today on ESPN.com’s premium Insider service, the former Buccaneers and Raiders coach says this about Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg: “I’ll be shocked if Hackenberg is not a first-round pick. The biggest surprise to me on Hackenberg is that no one is really talking about him in the first round. This was the No. 1 prospect in the nation a few years ago and someone who showed during his freshman year he could produce at a high level in a true NFL-style offense. What he showed during that first year at Penn State — before the coaching change, before the system change, before all the things that derailed him — would be enough for me to take this guy early. This man can run a 4.7-second 40, he is tough as hell and he works relentlessly. He just has to get in the right system with the right people and refocus on the small details.”

Gruden specifically praised Hackenberg for his ability to pick up former Penn State coach Bill O’Brien’s offense as a freshman.

“Hackenberg threw for 3,000 yards as an 18-year-old kid in an NFL offense that is hard to execute,” Gruden writes. “I do not think people are giving him enough credit for that. The alert signals they had when Bill O’Brien was coaching him were straight out of the New England Patriots playbook. You might see 12-15 alerts per game. The quarterback’s control at the line of scrimmage was similar to the Patriots’. We all have seen Tom Brady point to his temples countless times at the line of scrimmage. They had the same alerts and mannerisms at Penn State. For a freshman to be given that type of autonomy at the line of scrimmage is unusual. When you see the same plays from the same formations that the Patriots are running, with the same audible mannerisms, you are like, ‘Wow, this is cool.'”

It’s not cool that the rest of Gruden’s takeaways on Hackenberg are hidden behind a paywall, but the first two are strong enough to get plenty of attention at a time when few are talking about Hackenberg as a top quarterback prospect.

The naysayers include ESPN’s top two draft experts. In December, Mel Kiper said that Hackenberg should consider returning to school for another season. Todd McShay said this about Hackenberg: “With a 53.3 percent completion rate this season, he’s simply not accurate enough to warrant first-round consideration.”

Coincidentally or not, Gruden’s remarks are coming to light the same day that his brother’s team is hosting Hackenberg. It’s fairly clear what Washington’s pick would be if the elder Gruden were the team’s head coach.

If nothing else, it should make for an interesting discussion between Gruden and Kiper on the ESPN set as Hackenberg slides toward Washington’s selection, and likely beyond.
I'd be shocked if he were......

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrah is now broadcasting he's going to go watch Goff work out in person at Berkley. After the 'leak' that Wentz was in our top 3, a move was made in the top 3 for a QB. Now we are firing our second bullet, in hopes that a second team will move up into the top 3 to take the second QB.
While I can't credit Jerrah for the acts of others, I can give him and the FO credit for applying a little pressure from our position. Putting doubt in the minds of others about whether or not we would draft a QB likely just helped push "our guy" down to us.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can't credit Jerrah for the acts of others, I can give him and the FO credit for applying a little pressure from our position. Putting doubt in the minds of others about whether or not we would draft a QB likely just helped push "our guy" down to us.
Sorry, but that's nuts. You think we had anything to do with this? It's not like Philly moved from 5 to 2.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but that's nuts. You think we had anything to do with this? It's not like Philly moved from 5 to 2.

Its also not like they moved from 8 to 6, which is all they'd have to do to get in front of SF, no? Is Jax or Baltimore that much of a threat to take a QB?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its also not like they moved from 8 to 6, which is all they'd have to do to get in front of SF, no? Is Jax or Baltimore that much of a threat to take a QB?

But that would still allow SF to jump ahead of them. The pressure if any came from SF more than Dallas

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anybody else see the rumor floating around that Demarcus Lawrence is going to get suspended for 4 games? we most likely have to draft DE and may have to trade up into the 1st round to get someone.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the player is good enough, EVERY team is a threat to take him. If it was us they wanted to move in front of it had NOTHING to do with how Jerry "played it" as if he was some kind of Svengali hypnotizing the Eagles.. I think only you and Jerry think everyone else pays attention to the gibberish he spouts. To be clear, Philly knowing they had to move up to guarantee QB wasn't what I was disagreeing with...

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that would still allow SF to jump ahead of them. The pressure if any came from SF more than Dallas
If they were only worried about SF, they would have been able to swing a trade in the draft as it most often happens. They traded with a team that was not going to take their guy. Jax and Balt aren't either. That leaves two franchises. One has been stone silent. The other, well, lets just say has been talking out of all sides of its mouths.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were only worried about SF, they would have been able to swing a trade in the draft as it most often happens. They traded with a team that was not going to take their guy. Jax and Balt aren't either. That leaves two franchises. One has been stone silent. The other, well, lets just say has been talking out of all sides of its mouths.
I believe the 49res were also in trade talks with Cleveland. Had Philly waited until draft day SF may have swung a trade prior or if they only traded up to 3rd, it would guarantee nothing. There were possibilities Dallas was taking a QB but I think they weren't doing so at 4, the 49res WERE taking a QB.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff got hit lots in college. expect more of the same in LA or philly

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the player is good enough, EVERY team is a threat to take him. If it was us they wanted to move in front of it had NOTHING to do with how Jerry "played it" as if he was some kind of Svengali hypnotizing the Eagles.. I think only you and Jerry think everyone else pays attention to the gibberish he spouts. To be clear, Philly knowing they had to move up to guarantee QB wasn't what I was disagreeing with...
I believe the 49res were also in trade talks with Cleveland. Had Philly waited until draft day SF may have swung a trade prior or if they only traded up to 3rd, it would guarantee nothing. There were possibilities Dallas was taking a QB but I think they weren't doing so at 4, the 49res WERE taking a QB.
See, and I think all that happened was we showed interest, and that was all it took to tip the scales. IMO it would be foolish for SF to make the move to 2, seeing how they are ahead of the team that needs to make a move. The 49ers could have been leery of us, but it was the team sitting in third place that felt the heat.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Demarcus Lawrence to be suspended per DMN what a pinhead

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00