• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2019)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Promoted today.

Great call.

Likely had a lot to do with Bishop being added to the AZL today as well.

Fitzgerald and Wyatt will make their debuts tonight, maybe Bishop tomorrow.

*Typically* the Giants have their colleges guys in the AZL for a very short time (if any) before sending them off to Salem. Looks like that's what they'll do here with their trio of college bats. I'd guarantee it if it was the old regime, but it's still pretty likely with Zaidi I'd say.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely had a lot to do with Bishop being added to the AZL today as well.

Fitzgerald and Wyatt will make their debuts tonight, maybe Bishop tomorrow.

*Typically* the Giants have their colleges guys in the AZL for a very short time (if any) before sending them off to Salem. Looks like that's what they'll do here with their trio of college bats. I'd guarantee it if it was the old regime, but it's still pretty likely with Zaidi I'd say.
I find it interesting that they sent Houghtby and Whiteman straight to Salem. Martorano and Smith just got moved up from AZL Black a day or two ago.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to see the Baby Giants play the Nuts last night.

Jake Wong started, and after a very shaky first inning, pitched into the 6th inning and looked good, combo fastball and curve and slider. He walked 1 and struck out 6. With two outs and no one on, he was pulled. I expect he was on a pitch count. Wong retired 13 of the final 17 batters he faced.

Mac Marshall came in for him, pitched well. With one out in the 8th, he threw a pitch and there was a loud CRACK, and Marshall was on the ground. I thought he had snapped his hip bone, but after some time on the ground, he was able to walk off the field with no noticeable limp. Scary moment. DOn't know what happened.

Cave came on for 1 2/3 inning save. Nasty looking curve, but really not much control.

Bart singled in the 1st, stole a base, and scored. His other at bats were poor. Ramos seemed to hurt himself on a grounder, he fell leaving the batters box (which looked to be in horrible shape), and left the game. Joe Ritzo tweeted it was not an injury. We'll see.

Manuel Geraldo (3-for-4, 2B, RBI) and Dalton Combs (2-for-3) also had multi-hit games for the Giants.

No one had a worse game than Brando van Horn. He was 0-5 with 5 K's. Every K was on a high fastball.

Oh, the G's won, 3-2.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jake Wong started, and after a very shaky first inning, pitched into the 6th inning and looked good, combo fastball and curve and slider. He walked 1 and struck out 6. With two outs and no one on, he was pulled. I expect he was on a pitch count. Wong retired 13 of the final 17 batters he faced.

Mac Marshall came in for him, pitched well. With one out in the 8th, he threw a pitch and there was a loud CRACK, and Marshall was on the ground. I thought he had snapped his hip bone, but after some time on the ground, he was able to walk off the field with no noticeable limp. Scary moment. DOn't know what happened.

Cave came on for 1 2/3 inning save. Nasty looking curve, but really not much control.

Bart singled in the 1st, stole a base, and scored. His other at bats were poor. Ramos seemed to hurt himself on a grounder, he fell leaving the batters box (which looked to be in horrible shape), and left the game. Joe Ritzo tweeted it was not an injury. We'll see.

Manuel Geraldo (3-for-4, 2B, RBI) and Dalton Combs (2-for-3) also had multi-hit games for the Giants.

No one had a worse game than Brando van Horn. He was 0-5 with 5 K's. Every K was on a high fastball.

Oh, the G's won, 3-2.
Thanks for the report. Not excited about Marshall or Ramos' exits from the game. Obviously, Ramos is a much more premium prospect but I never like to hear about guys getting hurt. The Marshall incident instantly made me think about Dave Dravecky.
Sounds like Van Horn really needs to work on laying off the high heat. He seemed to hit well in limited action at the AAA level. My guess is that once the league knows about his weakness, they feed it to him regularly.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 25 of Bergen's rehab yesterday and he gave up a run on two hits (one was a solo home run) and struck out a batter in 1 inning of work. He has not looked good in his rehab with Sacramento so I wonder if the Giants will return him to Toronto or try to keep him as a lefty once Smith and Watson (and maybe even Holland) are traded.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the report. Not excited about Marshall or Ramos' exits from the game. Obviously, Ramos is a much more premium prospect but I never like to hear about guys getting hurt. The Marshall incident instantly made me think about Dave Dravecky.
Sounds like Van Horn really needs to work on laying off the high heat. He seemed to hit well in limited action at the AAA level. My guess is that once the league knows about his weakness, they feed it to him regularly.

My first thought about Marshall was also Dravecky. Mac was rolling around on the ground, clutching the groin/hip area. I was glad to see him walk off on his own power. I didn't see what happened, just the aftermath. Perhaps he just tweaked something. Looked a lot worse than a tweak, though.

This is not good, though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, the G's won, 3-2.

Do you mind clarifying what you meant about Ramos? Specifically "which looked to be in horrible shape" What do you mean by that?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luciano is 2-2 with 2 homers today. He has 6 on the year in 12 games.

In case you're wondering, the AZL record for homers is 18, which was done by Joey Gallo in 2012, in 43 games.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought about Marshall was also Dravecky. Mac was rolling around on the ground, clutching the groin/hip area. I was glad to see him walk off on his own power. I didn't see what happened, just the aftermath. Perhaps he just tweaked something. Looked a lot worse than a tweak, though.

This is not good, though.

Parra's trip to the IL opened a spot for Wong to come back from Salem's roster (not that he was ever actually with Salem). I wonder who will fill Marshall and Manning's spots.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you mind clarifying what you meant about Ramos? Specifically "which looked to be in horrible shape" What do you mean by that?

Sorry. The batter's box was in horrible shape. Seems like they over-watered it. It remained wet and slippery all evening. Several hitters slipped trying to get out of the box. Ramos slipped and fell, almost like his knee buckled. He remained on his knees, and when the out was made at first, just got up and went to the dugout. Nothing wrong with his gait that I could see. See the tweet by Ritzo, "no injury".

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. The batter's box was in horrible shape. Seems like they over-watered it. It remained wet and slippery all evening. Several hitters slipped trying to get out of the box. Ramos slipped and fell, almost like his knee buckled. He remained on his knees, and when the out was made at first, just got up and went to the dugout. Nothing wrong with his gait that I could see. See the tweet by Ritzo, "no injury".

Thank you! I was misinterpreting it and reading too much into it.

The last thing we need is that kid getting injured again, especially his knees.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter Bishop is 2-2 so far in his debut with a homer.

The AZL Giants Orange power house team also clinched the playoffs today. They are 19-4

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few other names in the lower minors that you need to know:

Franklin Labour Franklin Labour Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

His 14 homers BY FAR lead the NWL (he has double the amount of homers as the second place batters in homers, who also both happen to be Giants' prospects). He's been brought along slowly so far, but he's always put up a pretty good walk rate. This year his power has obviously exploded. He was signed in the same class as Lucious Fox.

Jario Pomares Jairo Pomares Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

He's laying waste to the AZL, probably could be promoted to Salem but there's no room there with Bishop, Canario and Labour, unless Labour gets moved up too. Signed last year with Luciano, he's a bit older for a J2 class, turning 19 in a few weeks. Not as powerful, but definitely a nice all-around player.

Luis Matos Luis Matos Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Signed with Luciano and Pomares last year, Matos was the big named that stayed behind in the Dominican, but he's flashing all the tools. Power, speed, athleticism, it's too easy for him right now. He won't get moved up from there this year, but don't expect a repeat season like some DSL player do.

The Giants' system is really strong right now. I might even go out on a limb and say it's close to a top-10. The top 4 are as strong as any team's in the league, and there are just some really interesting players littering the lower minors that could vault this system firmly into the top-10. I haven't felt this good about the minors since the early 2010s.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants will have 2 affiliates in the playoffs this year, after Salem clinched a playoff berth yesterday.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants will have 2 affiliates in the playoffs this year, after Salem clinched a playoff berth yesterday.

I do not understand the logic of the split season clinching format. A team wins the first half, half the team moves on to higher levels, so the 2nd half team, that had a losing record, goes on to the playoffs?

:noidea:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not understand the logic of the split season clinching format. A team wins the first half, half the team moves on to higher levels, so the 2nd half team, that had a losing record, goes on to the playoffs?

:noidea:

Yeah I've never been a big fan of it. But at the same time, look at it from the other angle. It's a way of rewarding a team for the exact reason you mention. Wouldn't really be fair if the team was by far the best in the league, and the only reason they suck is because their team is decimated.