• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Kaepernick get an extension this off season?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have room to sign him for $19M per. They just need to do it next season. At this point it will only hinder us from keeping Whitner and maybe Iupati. Two positions that are replaceable IMO.

Kap's production is also replaceable. And we won't have to lose other good players to do so. Signing him for 19 million would be the stupidest thing this current regime has ever done and he hasn't shown that he deserves near that much money.

All IMO, of course.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kap's production is also replaceable. And we won't have to lose other good players to do so. Signing him for 19 million would be the stupidest thing this current regime has ever done and he hasn't shown that he deserves near that much money.

All IMO, of course.

He doesn't deserve it and if that's what he's insisting on I would let him play out his contract next season and prove he's worth it.

The problem comes with other teams stupid enough to dish out 18+ million to guys like Flacco, Romo, and Cutler. So 19 million would be a high price tag but that's what the market is setting that as the going rate.

The regime needs to evaluate how much Kaepernick can grow as a player and any extension would be based on potential not merit. He has the tools to be elite it's just a question if he can fully put those tools together.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't deserve it and if that's what he's insisting on I would let him play out his contract next season and prove he's worth it.

The problem comes with other teams stupid enough to dish out 18+ million to guys like Flacco, Romo, and Cutler. So 19 million would be a high price tag but that's what the market is setting that as the going rate.

The regime needs to evaluate how much Kaepernick can grow as a player and any extension would be based on potential not merit. He has the tools to be elite it's just a question if he can fully put those tools together.

$19M per is not what I think he will get. That number is to prove to stupid Seahawk fans that we can make it fit and then some.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$19M per is not what I think he will get. That number is to prove to stupid Seahawk fans that we can make it fit and then some.

I agree. If an extension is done this year I can see him getting 12-16m range. If we win the Super Bowl next year and we haven't given him an extension. Then we are looking at 16-20m.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All IMO, of course.

His production isn't replaceable. There are only a hand full of QB that can replace him. It took us this long to find a QB I don't want to start looking for another one. Smith took forever to start winning and with Smith we would never get over the hump. With Kap we are winning and got to the super bowl. U never trade a Franchise QB unless u already have one waiting in the wings and definitely don't give on a young franchise QB. That is plain old stupid. That's like the Colts trading Luck right now. Doesn't make sense or Atlanta trading Matt Ryan because they had a bad season. Again makes no sense.

U should be a Raiders fan they do dumb shit all the time.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If an extension is done this year I can see him getting 12-16m range. If we win the Super Bowl next year and we haven't given him an extension. Then we are looking at 16-20m.

I'm gonna start breaking down some of the big eye catching contracts QBs are signing lately. This will help alleviate a lot of our concerns. Looking at term and total number is incredibly deceiving, so is making up an average $ amount per.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First up Jay Cutler:

No guaranteed Signing Bonus. Instead they guaranteed the first three base salaries. He can be cut any year from 2017 on and not count a dime against the cap. Notice the inflated final two years.
2014: $22.5M
2015: $15.5M
2016: $16M
2017: $15M
2018: $16M
2019: $20M including per game bonuses
2020: $21.7M including per game bonuses

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, let the negotiations begin. It will be nice to know how much $$$ can be spread around to the other players. I believe Kap will give the Niners a generous discount being a bay area playoff caliber team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His production isn't replaceable. There are only a hand full of QB that can replace him. It took us this long to find a QB I don't want to start looking for another one. Smith took forever to start winning and with Smith we would never get over the hump. With Kap we are winning and got to the super bowl. U never trade a Franchise QB unless u already have one waiting in the wings and definitely don't give on a young franchise QB. That is plain old stupid. That's like the Colts trading Luck right now. Doesn't make sense or Atlanta trading Matt Ryan because they had a bad season. Again makes no sense.

Kaepernick himself is not as replaceable as his production last year. If Harbaugh can get his potential production out there, then that is not replaceable, at least not easily. As to Smith, our team could get over the hump with him, but Kaepernick has a better chance if he performs like he can. When we were so close in 2011 and 2013, nothing tells me that we couldn't get over the hump with our players and coaches. Rematch and we could win. Same as the SB, we could win a rematch. Our team and coaches are too strong to make conclusions on one or the other not making it over the hump - including those questioning Kaepernick.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, let the negotiations begin. It will be nice to know how much $$$ can be spread around to the other players. I believe Kap will give the Niners a generous discount being a bay area playoff caliber team.

Me too, but if he doesn't, it's win or this is on you. And that includes if his weapons are depleted because his contract hypothetically would preclude help. Now, if he is paid and he wins, I don't want to hear people dismissing it, even if his team is strong or his production low (but efficiency high).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo, I can't find consistent numbers from various websites on his. Completely contradictory. So this one could be way off. One site has no SB on the last two years which would increase 2014 and 2015 below.

$25 Signing Bonus. Look how low 2016 is. Last two years are inflated. If cut in 2017 offseason then just $7Mish in dead money goes against the cap from remaining SB.
2014:$13.5M
2015:$17M
2016:$8.5M
2017:$14M
2018:$19.5M
2019:$20.5M

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with some others, sign him now and get it over so we know how much we can spend on others.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give map, 5 years 83 million 25 million Guaranteed.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna start breaking down some of the big eye catching contracts QBs are signing lately. This will help alleviate a lot of our concerns. Looking at term and total number is incredibly deceiving, so is making up an average $ amount per.

Ray out of romo and cutler. Were these their 2nd contracts? Or are these big ones their 3rd ones?

I have to think there's a bridge contract in there somewhere.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo, I can't find consistent numbers from various websites on his. Completely contradictory. So this one could be way off. One site has no SB on the last two years which would increase 2014 and 2015 below.

$25 Signing Bonus. Look how low 2016 is. Last two years are inflated. If cut in 2017 offseason then just $7Mish in dead money goes against the cap from remaining SB.
2014:$13.5M
2015:$17M
2016:$8.5M
2017:$14M
2018:$19.5M
2019:$20.5M
A site I use is Spotrac for contracts. It not only shows the dollar per year but the current cap space ,dead money ,bonus ,etc. NFL Player Contracts, Salaries, and Transactions

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course his production is replaceable. It would he next to impossible to find someone as dynamic running the ball, but overall production? Sure. He frequently stalls out drives, makes poor decisions, etc. If you actually watch the games and consider his entire body of work, he hasn't provided us with spectacular QB play.

We were winning with Smith too, and he got us as far as Kap got us this year. I think Kap is a better QB than Smith, but not so much moreso that he made a big difference in terms of our wins/losses.

Also, we don't have a franchise QB right now.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have room to sign him for $19M per. They just need to do it next season. At this point it will only hinder us from keeping Whitner and maybe Iupati. Two positions that are replaceable IMO.
I remember saying something similar back after the 2005 for the Seahawks. We had Shaun Alexander and Steve Hutchinson as free agents that offseason and, long story short, gave a big payout to Alexander and let Hutch walk. Seahawk nation came to the sad realization that Alexander became a shell of the player he was with Hutch at LG. There were other elements at play as well with that situation but I can't help but see some very definite parallels with you guys giving Kaep a huge payday while letting Iupati walk

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course his production is replaceable. It would he next to impossible to find someone as dynamic running the ball, but overall production? Sure. He frequently stalls out drives, makes poor decisions, etc. If you actually watch the games and consider his entire body of work, he hasn't provided us with spectacular QB play.

We were winning with Smith too, and he got us as far as Kap got us this year. I think Kap is a better QB than Smith, but not so much moreso that he made a big difference in terms of our wins/losses.

Also, we don't have a franchise QB right now.

Never got us to the superbowl and never got us to back to back NFC championship games.

I don't know what games u are watching. He has had a lot of great games that made us say wow in his 2 years. Almost any Playoff game, Pats last year, GB week 1. Come on man. The guy has been great for this team so far in his young career.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never got us to the superbowl and never got us to back to back NFC championship games.

I don't know what games u are watching. He has had a lot of great games that made us say wow in his 2 years. Almost any Playoff game, Pats last year, GB week 1. Come on man. The guy has been great for this team so far in his young career.

You have to look at his whole body of work, not just accentuate the positives and totally ignore the negatives. He's capable of making plays that few other people on this planet are capable of making, but that doesn't mean he's a great quarterback. He's far too streaky and while his highs are very high, his lows are very low as well. But on average what does he look like? A guy who is incapable of making progressions, who locks on to his receivers, who has poor pocket awareness and gets sacked or has to throw the ball away too often, who is oblivious to his clock management issues, and who has been very lucky that defensive players have been dropping his gift INTs/pick sixes. Just because he can occasionally rip a 60 yard run and apparently has the Packers ticket doesn't mean we can ignore all that stuff and say "He's T7 bro. We got this."

Alex Smith never had the chance to take us to back to back NFC championship games. Again, I think Kap is better than Smith but the team hasn't performed markedly better with Kap as QB vs Smith. If Kap gets one of those contracts which means that the overall team talent level will get worse then this team will definitely get worse, unless Kap can make huge strides. If he wants to sign for like 7-8 million per I'm all for that because that's what he is worth. But we all know it will be more than double that. And when he signs that contract, that will be the dagger in the heart of our Superbowl aspirations, unless he makes an unlikely improvement.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember saying something similar back after the 2005 for the Seahawks. We had Shaun Alexander and Steve Hutchinson as free agents that offseason and, long story short, gave a big payout to Alexander and let Hutch walk. Seahawk nation came to the sad realization that Alexander became a shell of the player he was with Hutch at LG. There were other elements at play as well with that situation but I can't help but see some very definite parallels with you guys giving Kaep a huge payday while letting Iupati walk

I fail to see how handing out the biggest RB contract at the time to a guy that was 28 and coming off the magic death total for backs in a season with 370 carries has anything to do with us signing our QB.
Also you must only just pay attention to Pro Bowl voting because Iupati couldn't hold Hutchinson's jock. I really can't believe you even went there. Good god let some other GM pay Mike if he is that overrated.