• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Kaepernick get an extension this off season?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone that wants the likes of Mark Sanchez should be prepared to forfeit 2-5 wins a season... Where does that put the Niners? Below the F'ing Cards in the division and sitting at home watching the playoffs! And by some miracle if Sanchez were able to get the Niners in the playoffs, how do you think he would fair in sub-zero GB let alone going to Seattle, one of the hardest places to play on the road?

Ya lets see, pay the man 10-15 million more than Sanchez and go deep into the playoffs with a possibility of bringing home a championship, or saving the extra dough and be humiliated by missing the playoffs or backing their way into it with a probable first round road loss...

Makes a lot of sense, fella's...

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha their idiots as I said, CK has a better road playoff record then Montana and Young combined and has taking this team to the title game back 2 back years and people are saying dont pay him and sign mark sanchez who has been the worst qb in the league and couldnt keep his fucking job with the jets? You can tell the people that dont have a clue about football

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haha their idiots as I said, CK has a better road playoff record then Montana and Young combined and has taking this team to the title game back 2 back years and people are saying dont pay him and sign mark sanchez who has been the worst qb in the league and couldnt keep his fucking job with the jets? You can tell the people that dont have a clue about football

He beat out Tebow, though (barely) :noidea:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the couple idiots on here.
CK in 19 regular season starts-60%, over 5,000 yards with 31 Td's and 11 Int's. 940 yards rushing and 9 Td's
Sanchez-31 starts (all 2011 & 2012)-55%, 6,300 yards with 39 Td's and 36 Int's. 130 rush yards and 6 Td's....That is 12 more starts then Kap
, add 12 more games and CK numbers would almost double his, take a look at the 36 Int's in 31 games, what a joke. Like I said some of you need to grab a clue and learn some football before you posts and look like a total d-bagg. Kap is wayyy better then Sanchez and its not even close

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the couple idiots on here.
CK in 19 regular season starts-60%, over 5,000 yards with 31 Td's and 11 Int's. 940 yards rushing and 9 Td's
Sanchez-31 starts (all 2011 & 2012)-55%, 6,300 yards with 39 Td's and 36 Int's. 130 rush yards and 6 Td's....That is 12 more starts then Kap
, add 12 more games and CK numbers would almost double his, take a look at the 36 Int's in 31 games, what a joke. Like I said some of you need to grab a clue and learn some football before you posts and look like a total d-bagg. Kap is wayyy better then Sanchez and its not even close

I agree but your stats are wrong a bit. He has played in 29 games the last two years, started 23 games, and your numbers include the 23 passes he had (about a game'a worth) in the concussion game and the five spot duty before. Not a big deal, except for 5000 in 19 games is on pace for 4210 yards and 26 TDs, but 5000 in roughly 24 games it would be 3333 yards and 21 TDs. Not sure where you got the 19 games number.

Having said that, your points seem logical. I'm happy with Kaepernick and think he will improve. Only if he doesn't, would I be concerned to the level of everyone else. Still, I'd like to see a viable alternative before I worried. In other words, I wouldn't ask to replace Kaepernick like some wanted with Alex until I had a Kaepernick (someone better) behind Kaepernick. As far as I've seen people talking about trading Kaepernick, they haven't talked about using that pic to pick a quarterback. I feel that they still think the regular draft pick to replace him. If that's the case then we can still pick that regular quarterback. And keep Kaepernick, just don't extend this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get anywhere from 16-19 million a season.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who was debating the quarterback decision before rjshull. I don't even know if he believes what he said. I think that he was trying to support me but didn't know where I stood on the quarterback switch. I think everybody agrees that Kaepernick was the guy. As for me, I have only been talking about how Smith has been categorized and dismissed. I have not been talking about him being better than Kaepernick.

It's so easy, a caveman could do it. This is what I see when anyone says that we don't need to extend Kaepernick because Harbaugh is such a good quarterback coach, look what we did with Alex? All I'm saying is Alex is not a caveman, finding the next quarterback is not that simple. The successful quarterback takes plenty of talent and skill. That has nothing to do with Kaepernick being better than he is. I think that he's an average quarterback who can play above-average and if he has the right coach and a competent supporting cast (not perfect or greasy), he's an above average quarterback who can play great. He can play clutch, but he's not elite.

I know exactly where I stand on the two QB's, but I could care less on where you stand. I do not think that Alex was as bad as the fans have said over the years. Hell just look at the difference between our teams under Harbs and Singletary, in one year we did not become a great team, we just got great coaching to match our players. But to think that Kap is worth $20MM is crazy, he is not Manning, Brady, Breese, or Rodgers and he never will be. Hell The Bears and Cowboys are never going to be anything special after giving those guys those contracts. If we think that Kap is worth that kind of money then Smith is also worth that kind of money as they have both lead this team to the same spot. By this team getting to the championship game in three straight years shows that we had a good QB in Smith and that we have not had a significant production increase that would quantify the extreme pay increase for the position. Does this mean that Kap is not an average to above average QB? No it does not, but to think he is worth $20MM is crazy stupid, at most he is worth $10MM per with a decent signing bonus. And no I do not ever think he will be an elite QB, he will never be Manning, hell he will never be Luck.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*they're*
*to*
*don't*

You ned to tighten these things up before accusing people of being idiots. Also, there are a number of logical fallacies behind the Kap won more road playoff games than Young and Montana thing. It's not really evidence of anything.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that wants the likes of Mark Sanchez should be prepared to forfeit 2-5 wins a season... Where does that put the Niners? Below the F'ing Cards in the division and sitting at home watching the playoffs! And by some miracle if Sanchez were able to get the Niners in the playoffs, how do you think he would fair in sub-zero GB let alone going to Seattle, one of the hardest places to play on the road?

Ya lets see, pay the man 10-15 million more than Sanchez and go deep into the playoffs with a possibility of bringing home a championship, or saving the extra dough and be humiliated by missing the playoffs or backing their way into it with a probable first round road loss...

Makes a lot of sense, fella's...

I don't really see it that way. Kap was pretty bad in a fair number of games this year. What games do you see us losing if we had a competent caretaker/game manager QB?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really see it that way. Kap was pretty bad in a fair number of games this year. What games do you see us losing if we had a competent caretaker/game manager QB?

To follow this up, the 49ers were 19-5 in the regular season with caretaker/game manager Alex Smith. They have been 17-6 with Kaepernick. Alex Smith was the QB of a team that almost got to the Superbowl until they were Kyle Williamsed, Kap was the QB of a team that lost a Superbowl and lost an NFC championship game.

I would never dispute that Kap is more dynamic than Alex, and I also think he is a better QB all things considered. However, it's not like he gives us a whole lot more value than a guy who can competently manage a game. So far, it's been a wash under the Harbaugh era. He certainly doesn't provide 15 million+ more a year in value.

And that's the whole point. If a guy like Kap is going to get 20 million a year, then no thanks. That will kill our Superbowl aspirations, because he's not an elite QB. You can win in the NFL almost by virtue of *just* having an elite QB like Rodgers or Brady. You can have a relatively crappy defense and still be a contender with them. Those guys are worth that much money. Kap is not. This team is better off with some caretaker/game manager making 5 million a year and putting that other 15 million to other positions (say, a top of the line corner and 3/4 defensive end) than it is paying Kap 20 million and not having those extra players.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To follow this up, the 49ers were 19-5 in the regular season with caretaker/game manager Alex Smith. They have been 17-6 with Kaepernick. Alex Smith was the QB of a team that almost got to the Superbowl until they were Kyle Williamsed, Kap was the QB of a team that lost a Superbowl and lost an NFC championship game.

I would never dispute that Kap is more dynamic than Alex, and I also think he is a better QB all things considered. However, it's not like he gives us a whole lot more value than a guy who can competently manage a game. So far, it's been a wash under the Harbaugh era. He certainly doesn't provide 15 million+ more a year in value.

And that's the whole point. If a guy like Kap is going to get 20 million a year, then no thanks. That will kill our Superbowl aspirations, because he's not an elite QB. You can win in the NFL almost by virtue of *just* having an elite QB like Rodgers or Brady. You can have a relatively crappy defense and still be a contender with them. Those guys are worth that much money. Kap is not. This team is better off with some caretaker/game manager making 5 million a year and putting that other 15 million to other positions (say, a top of the line corner and 3/4 defensive end) than it is paying Kap 20 million and not having those extra players.

Nice post. I was trying to bring this up in another thread a few days ago but it wasn't presented as near as good.

I definitely agree with the point made and the where we are at/what kind of team we are and have been.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post. I was trying to bring this up in another thread a few days ago but it wasn't presented as near as good.

I definitely agree with the point made and the where we are at/what kind of team we are and have been.

Yeah. I don't think Kap is God awful. But so far he has stagnated and hasn't shown anything to suggest he will get better. I would be fine paying him like 6 million a year and actively looking to draft guys to groom and potentially take his place. But that's never going to happen. He's going to get a Romo-like contract, and Romo isn't even worth that much and Kap isn't even as good as Romo. That's a recipe for disaster, IMO.

If Kap steps up this year and becomes elite, then great. And it's really not about "Kap sucks, Sanchez rocks, lets get rid of the bum and bring in a real QB." Sanchez isn't as good as Kap is right now and likely never will be. But I would feel much more comfortable with a journeyman like Sanchez+ other upgraded positions than just rolling the dice with Kap and not having those other guys. I just don't see winning a Superbowl with Kap unless he makes huge strides.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree with what u saying now Whysies. But the QB position is a premium one in our league.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Where you get Sanchez is a "caretaker/game manager" I have no idea... Not only is he an interception machine, but he is also had the second most fumbles in the league last season. Going back the previous two seasons from that and he is still in the top 10 most fumbles in the league... You can make your argument about how Alex Smith was a caretaker/game manager and thats fine. But since Kap has taken over the offense has clearly been opened up more by the coaching staff. Its not focused on the dink and dunk, its focused on getting the ball down the field when passing. If its the dink and dunk you want, I'm sure the coaching staff could have Kap do that and I wouldn't be opposed to them doing some of that (screen plays, designed passes to the RB's that sort of thing). But honestly I haven't seen the coaching staff put an emphasis on that while Kap has been in there. Sure he could do a better job of finding that outlet, but I haven't seen anything to show that they are designing things to reel in what he is already doing. But for everything Kap has or hasn't done this season, aside from the Seattle road games Kap took care of the exceptionally well! He was ranked 9th in INT% and ranked 20th in fumbles given up (not bad for a running QB) but if you take away that Seattle road game and those numbers probably hover around the top five in taking care of the ball in the league. Don't forget about Alex Smith's performance against the Giants at home, how about that for game managing?

For those that say they haven't seen Kap do that thing that impresses them or gives them optimism he will be a dangerous threat need look no further than the first game of the season against GB. Kap has the potential to put games like this together, he just needs to do it consistantly...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where you get Sanchez is a "caretaker/game manager" I have no idea... Not only is he an interception machine, but he is also had the second most fumbles in the league last season. Going back the previous two seasons from that and he is still in the top 10 most fumbles in the league... You can make your argument about how Alex Smith was a caretaker/game manager and thats fine. But since Kap has taken over the offense has clearly been opened up more by the coaching staff. Its not focused on the dink and dunk, its focused on getting the ball down the field when passing. If its the dink and dunk you want, I'm sure the coaching staff could have Kap do that and I wouldn't be opposed to them doing some of that (screen plays, designed passes to the RB's that sort of thing). But honestly I haven't seen the coaching staff put an emphasis on that while Kap has been in there. Sure he could do a better job of finding that outlet, but I haven't seen anything to show that they are designing things to reel in what he is already doing. But for everything Kap has or hasn't done this season, aside from the Seattle road games Kap took care of the exceptionally well! He was ranked 9th in INT% and ranked 20th in fumbles given up (not bad for a running QB) but if you take away that Seattle road game and those numbers probably hover around the top five in taking care of the ball in the league. Don't forget about Alex Smith's performance against the Giants at home, how about that for game managing?

For those that say they haven't seen Kap do that thing that impresses them or gives them optimism he will be a dangerous threat need look no further than the first game of the season against GB. Kap has the potential to put games like this together, he just needs to do it consistantly...

I agree with most of what you said, the rest is negligible.

I feel that the Green Bay game may have further set expectations too high. I feel that Green Bay's defensive game plan is stupid. I know that there is a level of "he knows that I know that he knows that I know" aspect. However, it seems like anyone would guess that we would pass the ball a lot after gashing them with the run. It just seems logical. I don't mean to discredit what Kaepernick or Harbaugh did, but I think that Green Bay is stupid. When teams started respecting both our run and pass skills with Kaepernick, he struggled. And he got better. Then the coaches seemed to manage the snap count. I'm not saying he was put on a pitch count, I'm just saying that it seemed like they were not asking him to pass as much.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A QB shouldn't be rewarded for shit play in a playoff game. If he had won this game he would have a good debate as to why he should get another contract. He did not. I can't understand why anyone would say that he wasn't the reason the 9ers lost in the end. He wasn't the whole reason for sure but he had the chance and blew it.He is just another Romo at this point.....choke artist. I'm not saying at this point to get rid of him but he had better learn how to be a QB and not the "Keepandrun" joke that is going around.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know exactly where I stand on the two QB's, but I could care less on where you stand. I do not think that Alex was as bad as the fans have said over the years. Hell just look at the difference between our teams under Harbs and Singletary, in one year we did not become a great team, we just got great coaching to match our players. But to think that Kap is worth $20MM is crazy, he is not Manning, Brady, Breese, or Rodgers and he never will be. Hell The Bears and Cowboys are never going to be anything special after giving those guys those contracts. If we think that Kap is worth that kind of money then Smith is also worth that kind of money as they have both lead this team to the same spot. By this team getting to the championship game in three straight years shows that we had a good QB in Smith and that we have not had a significant production increase that would quantify the extreme pay increase for the position. Does this mean that Kap is not an average to above average QB? No it does not, but to think he is worth $20MM is crazy stupid, at most he is worth $10MM per with a decent signing bonus. And no I do not ever think he will be an elite QB, he will never be Manning, hell he will never be Luck.

I don't think that there is any poster on this board that is more of a fan of Alex Smith than I am. Actually there is one guy, that's ViperVisor, and he's left. So I don't think that we would ned to be arguing over any of this.

I'm not sure, but I *might* like Kaepernick more than you do and that might be why you think we have an argument here. Or maybe I'm a homer and that's why I think Kaepernick will be fine. There are things that he needs to improve on or else my mind would change. But that time is not up.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A QB shouldn't be rewarded for shit play in a playoff game. If he had won this game he would have a good debate as to why he should get another contract. He did not. I can't understand why anyone would say that he wasn't the reason the 9ers lost in the end. He wasn't the whole reason for sure but he had the chance and blew it.He is just another Romo at this point.....choke artist. I'm not saying at this point to get rid of him but he had better learn how to be a QB and not the "Keepandrun" joke that is going around.

The guy is 4-2 in the playoffs with 3 of those victories on the road... lol

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy is 4-2 in the playoffs with 3 of those victories on the road... lol
And a good job the 9ers TEAM did to get them that far. How did Kap do in the last game? How did the TEAM keep them in the hunt?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And a good job the 9ers TEAM did to get them that far. How did Kap do in the last game? How did the TEAM keep them in the hunt?

Sure, and they also LOSE AS A TEAM...